Pasta lovers

Yes, I filled out the survey; my comment above was a short summary. The big impacts that Covid’s had on my cooking and food buying impacts have been that I’m not going to restaurants so I cook more, and we’re doing occasional big orders from a few stores that deliver instead of the many smaller trips to more stores that I made during normal times, plus farmshare-style veggie boxes from the local veggie market. I’m vegetarian, my wife’s not, and pasta and chili have been things we make a lot, so we’ve done more pasta per week than in the past.

3 Likes

Thanks @billstewart, interesting!

@Giulia95, I started this thread recently in case you are interested in the replies.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll check it out!

Done with survey, and good luck @Giulia95!

1 Like

I never quite thought of egg noodles in that way, but what else would we use for kugel and things similar? I’ve had trouble finding them here in England, but I once got them from Amazon. I sure do miss the tribe delicacies, and if I was younger, I’d open a kosher deli in Surrey!

4 Likes

Swedish meatballs and egg noodles is a fav in cold weather. Egg noodles are comforting in a way that tasty spaghetti isn’t.

2 Likes

Agree! Or Beef Bourguignon, Chicken Paprika, or Hungarian goulash over same. Among other wonderful things @Rooster.

2 Likes

Just had egg noodles with butter the other night with roasted chicken. Here in SE PA they’re more associated with PA Dutch than Jewish cuisine, but both PA Dutch and Kosher brands are widely available in every supermarket.

Funny how pastas dictate their sauces . . . penne is always some form of tomato sauce;, egg noodles are butter; shells or lasagna are pasta sauce; spaghetti or angel hair can be tomato sauce, pasta sauce or olive oil and garlic.

3 Likes

Always love it when a recipe states to serve it with a side or over the top of buttered egg noodles. I never FAIL to follow the recipe then! :smiley_cat: @gaffk, assume you make or eat Pa Dutch style chicken pot pie?

3 Likes

Actually not a fan of pot pie–or most PA Dutch food to be honest. But their culinary contributions of egg noodles, birch beer, whoopie pies and the time-honored summer tradition of driving through Lancaster County where the kids run into the corn fields to bring you corn literally right off the stalk followed by an ice cream cone at the dairy where the waffle cones are literally being cooked as you sit there? Priceless.

3 Likes

I took the survey, but was amused by its questions. I haven’t bought pasta during the pandemic because i have at all times 20+ pounds of a vast assortment of pasta on hand. I have not shopped in a store since the lockdown. I have used grocery delivery for fresh veg and some meat. Pasta never came into the equation since it is a staple of our survival pantry. Tonight’s stellar pasta = asparagus and shell pea pasta, using Walmart’s top quality “Italia” imported pasta. A fine dish that has nothing to do with the pandemic or emergency shopping.

6 Likes

Thank you @pilgrim! The aim of the survey is to study the purchasing behavior of pasta during the pandemic: therefore the target of the project are people who bought at least one box of pasta during the emergency.
The dish looks delicious!

So what I get out of all this is that egg noodles are practically unknown in Italy?
Are they even allowed to be called pasta?
My life would certainly be less full without them. Short ribs and egg noodles was a regular dish when I was growing up in the middle of the country.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

In Italy we do not talk about “noodles”: the most similar shape is spaghetti or tagliatelle, but I think that the ingredients and the manufacturing process are different. Therefore, noodles do not belong to the pasta category (at least for most of the italians)

2 Likes

I’ve never lived in Italy, but especially over the past 30 years, there’s been a huge  variety of imported Italian pasta available in NYC. I don’t think I’ve ever seen “short, curly” dried, Italian egg-based pasta that looks quite like the curly variation of “egg noodles” (e.g., PA Dutch brand, Mueller’s, Manischewitz, etc), and while I think it was traditionally more of a fresh-made Thing than sold dried, I’ve definitely seen dried egg-based pastas imported from Italy (e.g., papparedelle, tagliatelle, fettucine), so I think they must fit some definition of it under Italian/EU law., if presumably not the same sub-section as dried, Durum-semolina based pastas…

And given the plethora of shapes, I daresay one could find something at least approximately similar, though you might have to break longer strands up to get the right length. Except that they’re long strands, DeCecco’s egg pappardelle, for example, look pretty similar to many of the imported Central/East European egg noodles I’ve seen, which aren’t as invariably “curly” as most American brands are…

3 Likes

So chicken noodle soup, an American favorite for 100 years, is just a dream to Italians. Or perhaps a nightmare.
:smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve never tried it, but I will!

2 Likes

This is standard fare in America, especially for sick kids.
Miracle drug! Along with ginger ale…
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

FWIW, I don’t think I’ve ever eaten that! I know I’ve never served it to my kids. I don’t think my husband would recognize it, but he moved to the US at 8.

I did make Campbell’s tomato soup though, as a Girl Scout. There was a recipe called “Blushing Bunny” in my book.

I haven’t thought of that in decades, but it may have been my first recipe!

I’ll put my girl scout windmills on the nostalgia thread.

4 Likes