Pasta lovers

In Italy we do not talk about “noodles”: the most similar shape is spaghetti or tagliatelle, but I think that the ingredients and the manufacturing process are different. Therefore, noodles do not belong to the pasta category (at least for most of the italians)

2 Likes

I’ve never lived in Italy, but especially over the past 30 years, there’s been a huge  variety of imported Italian pasta available in NYC. I don’t think I’ve ever seen “short, curly” dried, Italian egg-based pasta that looks quite like the curly variation of “egg noodles” (e.g., PA Dutch brand, Mueller’s, Manischewitz, etc), and while I think it was traditionally more of a fresh-made Thing than sold dried, I’ve definitely seen dried egg-based pastas imported from Italy (e.g., papparedelle, tagliatelle, fettucine), so I think they must fit some definition of it under Italian/EU law., if presumably not the same sub-section as dried, Durum-semolina based pastas…

And given the plethora of shapes, I daresay one could find something at least approximately similar, though you might have to break longer strands up to get the right length. Except that they’re long strands, DeCecco’s egg pappardelle, for example, look pretty similar to many of the imported Central/East European egg noodles I’ve seen, which aren’t as invariably “curly” as most American brands are…

3 Likes

So chicken noodle soup, an American favorite for 100 years, is just a dream to Italians. Or perhaps a nightmare.
:smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve never tried it, but I will!

2 Likes

This is standard fare in America, especially for sick kids.
Miracle drug! Along with ginger ale…
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

FWIW, I don’t think I’ve ever eaten that! I know I’ve never served it to my kids. I don’t think my husband would recognize it, but he moved to the US at 8.

I did make Campbell’s tomato soup though, as a Girl Scout. There was a recipe called “Blushing Bunny” in my book.

I haven’t thought of that in decades, but it may have been my first recipe!

I’ll put my girl scout windmills on the nostalgia thread.

4 Likes

Pre Progresso it was Campbell’s or the house brand. Maybe canned soups are a middle of the country thing too.

I remember the commercials!

Mmmmm good!
Mmmmm good!
That’s what Campbell’s soup is
Mmmmm good!

4 Likes

Once upon a long time ago, it tasted (a lot) better than it does now, too… :frowning: Progresso - which ironically (or not?) has been owned by Campbell’s for decades at least, is way better, and some of the “newer” Campbell’s, like their “Chunky” line, are on a par with Progresso imnsho. But the original condensed soups are really pretty bad at this point, even the ones that should theoretically stand up to the whole “condensed” thing better than others, like split pea and lentil…

2 Likes

Perhaps canned soup was a middle of the Century rather than a middle of the Country thing. We always had Campbell’s chicken noodle and tomato on hand. Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Chicken were staples of mid-Century Casserole culture. When we were married, new husband told me he never wanted to see me use canned soup in cooking. So he came home one day to find me making mushroom soup to use in a currently popular recipe. Campbell’s tomato soup was a mandatory companion to a grilled cheese sandwich in those days.

What I find boggling in this conversation is what I read as preference for Progresso to Campbells. We use almost no canned soup except for chicken broth, but while we get carried away by sales or tantalizing sounding names, we pour more Progresso down the drain than we eat. We have never found one that is palatable. Maybe we’re buying the wrong “flavors”.

3 Likes

At it’s most basic, it’s essentially Eastern Europe’s answer to “pasta in brodo”… though usually made with heavier/thicker pasta than Italians typically use for that. But with the addition of shredded chicken meat and sliced vegetables like carrots, celery, onion, and sometimes corn and/or potatoes, it can be turned into a much more substantial “one dish meal”…

4 Likes

In my jewish household I had grandma’s. :grin:

3 Likes

I finally got around to posting this to the Boston board, and I filled it out myself. Hope that helps!

4 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like

I buy no canned soup these days, but I was talking about the marketing of Progresso as a more upscale product.
Whether actually true or not is sketchy, as you note.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I find Progresso’s (and Campbell’s Chunky’s) “basics” - like beef barley, chicken noodle, lentil, split pea - OK, especially for last-minute eating, though not worth their usual MRSP by any means. (But then, I feel the same way about a lot of commercially-made soups at delis, “food bars”/buffets, and many restaurants…) The ones with what I think of as “tantalizing” (trendy?) names that seem to be trying to ride on current culinary trends’ coat-tails, otoh, not so much… Though - maybe due to care in selection bred by cynicism - I’ve yet to come across one that was so bad that I threw out it after one or two spoonfuls…

I did find myself extremely  nonplussed once, when a minimal-English-speaking fellow supermarket patron standing in front of a canned soup sale display ($1-$1.25 can) saw me looking through them and asked me if they were “delicious”… :open_mouth: I optimistically put that particular word choice down to the language barrier, but still, thinking she’d probably misinterpret a gale of laughter and having no idea what her basis for comparison was (after all, I think a lot of the prepared food that Russian immigrants around here line up and pay too much for is terrible too), I ended up hemming and hawing an awful  lot as I stumbled through a tortured attempt to explain - in “basic English” - that " ‘delicious’ was an awfully strong word for canned soup, that some of them were ‘OK’, but that, mostly, you can’t beat ~16 g of tolerable-tasting protein you can heat up in less than 5 minutes in the microwave for $1.25…" I have to admit she didn’t seem much less confused when I’d finished than she’d been beforehand, but I figured I’d best quit while I wasn’t too  far behind…:grin:

6 Likes

I completed it for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just when I thought I’d heard of everything :laughing:

2 Likes

That walking salad sounds like a recipe for food poisoning.
Mayonnaise and cottage cheese out on the trail! Yikes :flushed:

I don’t remember the walking salad but I might have eaten it.
Decades later, still don’t like cottage cheese, but love mayonnaise.

1 Like