Passover Is Here (Almost) (also food allergies)

It wasn’t meant as sarcasm, just trying to inject some humor into a dry conversation about matzoh.

Not just any matzoh, shmura matzoh. I did that one year, handmade even, just to show off. It’s now about $25 for a box.

Clams? I’ve been tempted to substitute crabcakes for gefilte fish, but I was afraid of the lightning bolt that would surely find me.

2 Likes

I just wanted to make sure no one thought the rules really worked that way.

1 Like

:joy: appropriate for baked sawdust. (don’t worry; I’m eating some right now. Good got my antibiotic ravaged digestive tract. 0

2 Likes

$17 at costco. Someone I play pickelball with suggested salmon gefilte fish, might be worth a try.

3 Likes

For the treyfers

Which leads to

1 Like

I’ve had very good salmon gefilte fish made by someone else. One year I served poached salmon instead of gefilte fish. No purists complained …

2 Likes

I’ve always thought fish quenelles are a cousin to gefilte fish.

There was always a jar of gefilte fish in the staff fridge at the law firm where I worked.

1 Like

There was a short documentary I saw, about gefilte fish and three generations of a family. The grandmother chopped everything by hand, the mother used a food processor, and the daughter opened a jar.

7 Likes

It’s awesome and everyone should see it.

https://vimeo.com/261016424

4 Likes

I have eaten gefilte fish (even enjoyed it), and i still had a slow churn gag response :roll_eyes:

noodle pudding? for passover?

To the documentary?

Maybe they’re zoodles!

maybe:)

Yes, quenelles are - at least IMO. A way to cheat, and make them, is to get a frozen log of gefilte fish, thaw it in the fridge, then reshape into quenelles.
As for jarred GF I only like the sweet gefilte fish. Have been known in years long ago to have a hunk as an emergency breakfast. With horseradish of course. Fast food. :joy:

2 Likes

The noodles are made from matzo meal–as are the cakes, cereals, and everything else normally made directly from wheat.

We once put leftover cereal out for the birds. They wouldn’t eat it. That gives you some ideas of how good these matzo meal adaptations are. The only thing matzo meal is good for (IMHO) is knaidlach (matzo balls).

2 Likes

Which I love so much I have been known to eat a cold one right out of the fridge, like an apple. Let me amend that to note - I love my matzoh balls. They have texture and a lot of flavor. Neither cotton balls nor cannon balls. Chicken fat, and nutmeg, are my friends.

5 Likes

I thought babka would be too obvious, 10 days for someone to notice!