Passover Is Here (Almost) (also food allergies)

Forget the crocuses, forget March 21, … you know spring is here when the Passover food is on display.

Just to remind those of you with allergies/avoidances that it’s time to stock up on all that soy-free stuff, and gluten-free stuff, since the use of wheat is severely limited. And of course, the Coca-Cola (and other things) are made with real sugar, not corn sweeteners. Make sure the Coca-Cola is labeled “Kosher for Passover” or “KP”. Coca-Cola has in the past used yellow caps to distinguish these. DO NOT BE FOOLED BY PEPSI’S YELLOW CAPS!! These do not mean real sugar; they mean Pepsi is trying to fool you. :frowning:

(As always, you need to double-check the ingredients list. And there is little help for those allergic to tree nuts.)

I haven’t seen Costco’s Passover stock lately, but I highly recommend the Manhattan Chocolate Covered Raspberry Jelly Rings they have always carried.

8 Likes

Just wanted to boost this. Costco hasn’t had the jelly rings the last two years. :frowning:

Shoprite in Aberdeen (NJ) finally got its 5-pound packages of matzo, but so few (that I saw) that they would barely cover a minyan and its families. And it takes $75 minimum purchase for a free package, and it’s probably only one a year now. I actually bought matzo for the first time in decades! (I need two or three packages because I eat it year round.)

2 Likes

It is true. Even though it is called Coca-Cola Zero, it is not gluten-free. Last year I was having some issues with my stomach and most digestive issues, so I have made a food intolerance test

Some of these recipes look interesting

2 Likes

Monday ,(02/20/23) the Aberdeen NJ ShopRite was removing all the Superbowl party supplies from their seasonal shelves, and large stacks of Goodman’s, Kedem, and other Passover products were waiting to be unpacked. I haven’t seen what their “free roasting chicken” threshold is, or the free matzo coupons–those usually show up three or four weeks before Passover.

And if you’re looking for soy-free, better check the ingredients and allergens lists: soy (along with corn), particularly in processed forms such as oil, is increasingly accepted as being kosher for Passover by the non-Orthodox.

2 Likes

Waiting to see the boxes of Maxwell House Hagaddahs - yes, some supermarkets still have them -

Pro tip: kosher for Passover Coca-Cola (or any other kosher for Passover non-diet soda) is made with sugar, not corn syrup. In the days before Mexican coke was available, Coke purists would seek out kosher for Passover coke for that cane sugar taste.

1 Like

ShopRite has their Passover stuff out, so boosting again. Note comments above on soy etc al.

No matzo yet, and because Passover is so far after Easter, ShopRite is letting people redeem their free holiday meals through the beginning of Passover --but only the kosher choices. Jews are still getting shorted, though, because you can only accumulate points until Easter, which is three weeks before Passover and too early to do a lot of the Passover shopping that helped me (and others) reach the goal. Not ShopRite’s fault–blame Pope Gregory XIII.

2 Likes

Did you know Greek/Orthodox Easter is always tied to Passover, like way back when?

Orthodox Easter and Catholic - Protestant Easter line up every 4 years, and most Orthodox people are grateful to get the Easter chocolate on sale 3 out of 4 of their Easters.

2 Likes

You mean I can’t get points off on my Passover ham after Easter?? The nerve. Does Shop Rite have boxes of the Maxwell House Hagaddah out for free? I guess it depends on the ‘hood.

À propos of nothing but matzoh- I had a little friend in third grade who brought buttered (well, maybe margarined) matzoh to school every day for her playground snack. Except … she wasn’t Jewish. And this was the 50s. She was Methodist IIRC. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

My family isn’t Jewish either, but my grandpa loved matzoh. We would have it with butter and a sprinkle of salt.
I now enjoy it dipped in chocolate. Whoever thought of that deserves a medal.

2 Likes

Don’t forget this recipe!

1 Like

Chocolate caramel matzoh toffee is fabulous. A friend made some for me. Come to think of it, she, too, is Methodist. am I sensing a pattern here??? :joy::yum:

3 Likes

See above. Any form of this is delish!

2 Likes

Grate some horseradish on your matzoh/butter/salt sandwich and live your best life.

8 Likes

Heh. You must warn guests Seder virgins about horseradish beforehand. That purple color is alluring, but deceptive.

1 Like

I love horseradish. It’s possible that I make shrimp cocktail merely as an excuse to eat extra-horseradish-y sauce.

4 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of interesting recipes from small town church cookbooks that are pretty inventive, so there might be a pattern. I’ve no idea who came up with the chocolate covered matzoh though.
I can see why it would be used in desserts though–it’s fairly plain and has a good texture that mixes well with sweet ingredients.

3 Likes

The Polish side of my family makes wonderful horseradish. I love it with beef but never had it on matzoh. It’s a good suggestion :slight_smile:

The saltine candy/toffee, cracker candy, Graham cracker toffee, chocolate covered Ritz crackers are all in the same kind of family as Matzah crack.

Variations of it have been showing up in community cookbooks for quite a while. I guess the idea could have popped up in several places around the same time.

I guess Marcy Goldman is the inventor of Matzoh Crunch/ Crack.

Canadian (Goy) Breton Brittle was published in a 1990s Jean Paré Company’s Coming cookbook.https://www.dinnerwithjulie.com/2013/12/11/christmas-crackers/

3 Likes

I found a photo I’d taken of my friend’s matzoh toffee.

6 Likes