Parsley heavy recipes?

Jealous. My parsley is totally lame this year. It’s usually very vigorous and productive, but plants are weird.

And this is the first year mine has looked so good since I planted it about 4 yrs ago…! Plants are weird. The ones you want are so easy to kill. The ones you don’t are so hard to kill.

3 Likes

Sort of old school French but jambon persillé can be quite delicious as part of a charcuterie plate

2 Likes

Compound butter.
Freeze chopped parsley in chicken stock into iced cubes of ziplock bags.

2 Likes

In related news, can I interest you in any basil or chives?

IMG_5233

3 Likes

:slight_smile: Basil, certainly. I have as many chives as I do parsley! I had to pay about $60 for basil this year to make about 7 cups of pesto for the freezer.

!

That’s some pricey pesto. But 7 cups is a lot! I’m still working on the frozen cubes of radish greens pesto that I made back in March.

I suppose there are many cheaper greens to make pesto out of, but I really like the basil version. Also, that’s just the cost of the herbs. Add in the parm, the evoo, it is a VERY pricey sauce/condiment.

If you have Restaurant Depot in your area and can get a membership (free) or day pass, they sell basil for around $6 per pound - it’s barely worth growing my own now that I discovered this!

Here ya go
Parsley-basil pesto

Freezing in cubes. Bagging for uses.

Wow! I paid $12/lb and that was the “bulk” rate. Sadly I live in a small small town that doesn’t have too many of these big chain stores. I’m not sad about where I live, but sad that sometimes these stores aren’t available.

But maybe you are buying your basil from your local farmers?

1 Like

Yes, 100%. We have a local farm stand that is on their own growing acreage (small), and they occasionally bring in produce from farms on the other side of the mountains that have a different growing climate (i.e. we can’t grow stone fruit, they can). In their open season, I get all the produce I need from that farm stand and my own garden. Except things like lemons and bananas. I get grocery produce in the winter.