Ottawa thread

I feel a need to create a thread for Ottawa as I feel there isn’t much in term of info for that city. It helps that I have started to travel there a bit in last few years so will try and post me feedback

3 Likes

Sushi has been disappointing so far I have tried Shinka, J:unique kitchen and orchid sushi (which has Thai dishes as well!!) If you are a fan of rolls they are decent otherwise I get my sushi fix before heading to Ottawa now

2 Likes

I like The Whalebone. I go to the location on Elgin.

I like Benny’s Bistro. https://www.frenchbaker.ca/

Ottawa, thread from Fall 2022

1 Like

The Bank Street location of Whalesbone is now open. I went there for appetizers a few years ago as part of a dishcrawl and the oysters were very fresh.

@elvisahmed I’m sorry about the disappointing sushi. I work near Orchid Sushi and have been avoiding it because of the sushi-Thai combination. Some restos try to do everything but do nothing right. That’s not to say I won’t go but it’s not at the top of my bucket list. Apparently Genji is good. I can’t be much more help on the sushi front since I don’t eat it very often :slight_smile:

I can help with some restaurant recommendations - is there a type of cuisine or a neighbourhood that appeals to you?

1 Like

Yeah whalebone is usually my Sunday meal (I go to the Elgin location though) due to the oyster promo.
I have tried the lobster spaghetti there which is ok but enjoyed the bone marrow and steak last trip so I think will stick to those

3 Likes

Aroma mezes was another new spot I tried interesting concept though I wouldn’t repeat at the price point. Didn’t enjoy the wine list

1 Like

I keep forgetting about Aroma Mezza since it’s on a side street that I don’t go down too often. Yikes you aren’t kidding it could get a little pricey. I hope you got all three tacos for $13? I went to El Camino on Elgin once and the tacos are $9 each. They are really good but if you want two plus a couple of other dishes it could get expensive. I always thought tacos were supposed to be cheap street food :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also tried Le Poisson Bleu on the last trip a few months back. Good stuff reminded me of Montreal food scene. I didn’t enjoy the wines (Canadian stuff which I tend to despise) priced quite high again
Screenshot_20231023-164804

2 Likes

Another spot that’s nearby downtown is Ottawa kebab
They also have promos on delivery apps so helped on the days I couldn’t go out
Reasonably priced and seasoned well (toum has a nice punch which I appreciated)

3 Likes

One of my favourite lunchtime spots is Subito Sandwiches. They are all in the $10 range and the portions are generous. They have lasagna on the menu and on a recent trip there I asked if I could have my chicken parmigiana served over spaghetti instead of a bun so they accommodated my request. The noodles were overcooked so next time I will stick to having it on a bun. Today I got a porchetta sandwich and the porchetta was made in house and was quite tasty. The server persuaded me to have fire roasted peppers as a garnish but it tasted like warmed up green pepper so next time I think I’ll pass. Otherwise everything was quite tasty.

1 Like

There’s a new Hong Kong Café in Ottawa, Gong Fu Café.

1 Like

I’m glad you mentioned this Phoenikia since I have been negligent in posting some new foodie offerings in Ottawa. If anyone is interested in going, it is located in the same establishment as Gongfu Bao. (Their pork belly baos are to die for.) The café operates in that establishment from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm then the restaurant from 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm. More info is on their website: https://www.gongfu.ca/

Long time Ottawa restaurant Social Thai now has a café and a taco truck. The restaurant and café are sharing the same retail space. The restaurant is operating from Wednesday through Monday from noon to 9:00 on weekdays and from 3:00 to 9:00 on weekends. It is closed on Tuesdays.

The café is open on weekdays from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm and on weekends from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm.

The taco truck is open from Wednesday through Monday from 3:00 pm to 10:00 pm. They are closed Tuesdays. (I really wish they were open at lunch on weekdays - they would make a killing from the nearby office workers and the construction workers across the street.)

More info is here.

1 Like

Sammi and Soupe Dumpling now has a dumpling shop in Ottawa! Yay! They were featured on the “Daily Dish” segment of our local CTV station where they have been featuring local restaurants. You can view the segment here.

And their website is here.

I clearly have a lot of eating to do :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There’s a new Indian restaurant opening downtown and I’m not sure if I should laugh or be insulted…

2 Likes

Someone had the same query!

https://x.com/sfyro/status/1779642503840342286

Wow! News travels fast :slight_smile: I posted the same picture on reddit and the Ottawa Foodies facebook page and a couple of people (presumably?) from the East Indian community gave the same explanation for the name.

1 Like