What's for Dinner #104 - the Almost Green Edition - March 2024

Since my birthday was yesterday I spent this past week giving some thought as to where Iā€™d like to get take out for dinner. My decision was made easily when I found out on Thursday that a favourite Thai restaurant will be closing this weekend. (Today is their last day in business :confused:) I decided to order one last meal before they close. I had my mind set on ordering shrimp spring rolls since they are my favourite but their deep fried tofu is good too so I ordered both. I also ordered seafood curry but I could only eat a bit of it so I will have the leftovers tomorrow night.

29 Likes

Happy birthday! Iā€™m glad you got a delicious final meal from there.

6 Likes

Well, that cleaning will burn calories for you and maybe youā€™ll find some better pastrami. One of my brothers lived with us several times over the course of a few years. I cannot imagine living with any of our siblings now. I hope you find a way to keep your sanity until you can have your independence again.

7 Likes

Happy happy birthday!
Glad you have delicious meals with leftovers to celebrate!

4 Likes

Happy Birthday!
Looks like a great birthday supper!

Youā€™re making me crave Thai food.

1 Like

Mission accomplished :grin:

If you ever come to Ottawa, Khao Thai is really good. (Iā€™d recommend Talay Thsi but thatā€™s the restaurant that just closed :frowning: )

1 Like

Happy birthday! Hope it was wonderful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy Birthday! Enjoy the leftoversā€¦and I hope you had cake. :cake:

3 Likes

Thank you. In addition to cleaning for 5 hours, I walked 15km/9.3mi so I got a great workout indeed.

I wish I had a sibling who valued and respected me, but unfortunately we donā€™t get to choose any of our family members.

As for the pastrami, my sister says she will take me to a good deli here. However, what my sister considers to be a good deli may not be what I consider to be a good one and in addition, what she says sheā€™s going to do and what she actually does are often entirely different. I guess karma is what got me into this mess and the matter of the fact is that I have no one to blame but myself.

3 Likes

Family can be tough. I do best with my sis when weā€™re 3,000 miles apart, but even then she can push my buttons. Hope you find a better living situation soon :crossed_fingers:t2:

5 Likes

Thank you!
We might be related! :joy:
My sister wonders why I have made an effort to NOT be closer. But anyone with an iota of cognizance should clearly be able to see why.

Thatā€™s the catch, though. Iā€™ve learned that itā€™s almost impossible to underestimate peopleā€™s intellectual and emotional disconnect. Most are oblivious to their own behavior. My sis & BIL certainly are, while being obnoxiously self-righteous and judgy. A pretty toxic combination.

3 Likes

Happy birthday! Glad you got all your favorites before they closed.

3 Likes

Woke up to snow flurries this AM, and Thursday temps are going up to 19ĖšC. Wild.

Iā€™m hosting a red carpet event on the big screen for my gal pals followed by Barbie, which a couple of them havenā€™t seen yet. I usually watch those red carpet shows on my own ā€“ surprisingly, my PIC isnā€™t all that interested in starletsā€™ fashion wins / faux pas :smile:, so itā€™ll be a blast watching/judging it with a crowd. Iā€™ll have it recorded since it starts mid-afternoon, and peeps are coming over at 6pm.

I have a nice variety of snacklets on offer: lovely local ciabatta, a triple cream brie & a variety of frozen apps from TJā€™s (cream cheese jalapeƱo wontons, mini chicken tacos, lemon bars) and Aldi (pub-style battered shrimp bites), chips & French onion dip. Iā€™ll make popcorn for the movie, and we can always order pizza if peeps are still hungry.

My darling will be operating the air fryer, and is making his wonderful PR-style sangria & possibly his equally fab margaritas ā€“ those are pretty dangerous, tho :wink: #IYKYK

Should be a fun evening :blush:

15 Likes

Sounds like we both got a raw deal regarding whom we have as family members.

2 Likes

But Ottawa is the Shawarma Capital of Canada! Hee hee

https://x.com/ctvottawa/status/1765678990860136505

I regret not ordering my last takeout meal in Ottawa from The Whalesbone on Elgin in Oct 2022!

Eh. Iā€™ve seen and heard worse, TBH.

Thatā€™s the great thing about friends: we can choose them :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Does your sister have hoarding qualities and/or does she appreciate your cleaning out?

Apparently we are! I canā€™t believe Iā€™ve been living in Ottawa for 35 years and I have never eaten shawarma ~hangs head in shame~ I will have to fix that!

2 Likes

I went to the Whalesbone on Bank for oysters once years ago and they were the best oysters Iā€™ve ever had. The oysters at the Elgin location most likely come from the same purveyors so if you ever go there Iā€™m pretty sure you will enjoy them.

1 Like