OT Other things to do during the quarantine

No apology necessary, Jim. We’ve all been mired in it, and there’s absolutely no shame in admitting you’re not ok right now.

We can’t have our usual support systems, so I’m sure I speak for all the HOs that we’re happy to extend a hand to anyone who needs one.

11 Likes

^ This. Everyone I talk to, of any age, has moments of dropping into a funk right now. Even when the folks are well and in comparatively good circumstances.

Listening is powerful stuff. You can be heard here.

5 Likes

I have plenty to do. Small business. Work is off a bit so I have a long list of development to work on and a new line of business to work. I still spend an inordinate amount of time reading about COVID-19 developments.

1 Like

Unavoidable, I’m afraid, Dave. It’s omnipresent. I’m trying to restrict myself to the government’s daily press conference. But, even here, I’m getting annoyed at the shallow evasions. I yearn for the day when “real politics” returns to dominate the news.

I yearn for the return of politics.

4 Likes

I’ve found it hard to manage anxiety during these unprecedented times we’re all experiencing together @RedJim, so I echo everyone else on listening/helping anyone I can. I’ll add that you may even want to have a virtual office visit with your doctor. A lot of insurance plans are creating special, virtual, programs tailored to the crisis also, covering a lot of various problems and concerns this is causing for multitudes of people.

Unlike many other disasters or wars, we’re not watching it from afar, happening to other people. It’s happening everywhere, and to all of us. :cry: On good days, spring is here, things are blooming, life is going on, and I’m hopeful. On bad days, I’m on RMS Titanic. Usually have a good day every other day. Kind of a roller coaster.

3 Likes

I yearn for anything normal. Also have a yen to go to a regular grocery store, but can’t risk it. Out to dinner, visits with people and all that. It seems so long ago, already @Harters - doesn’t it?

3 Likes

I’ve become kind of addicted to the meme site imgur.com

Click on the next button, or click on individual posts in the right column. They range from dumb to fascinating.

1 Like

Used to take mom to the hairdresser every Friday and then out to lunch. Grocery shopping once a week followed by a dinner out. I got to know and like these folks in person. It’s been more than a month now since we’ve eaten out or gotten our hair done . . . and don’t even start me on the zoo that is now our grocery store.

Lunch with the sisters and their husbands and the nieces and nephews once or twice a month. A movie and lunch/dinner once a month with friends. We all still talk, but I haven’t seen another human being up close for weeks.

It just occurred to me to pay my trash and electricity bills :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I’m leaning hard on this Parable right now.

1 Like

Find myself even longing for medical outings, from when I was sick earlier; when I started feeling better, there would be breakfast, lunch or dinner out afterwards. (Not really - very happy to be better!) I’ve been social distancing even before the term was coined - ever since early January, because I didn’t want to pick up a seasonal bug. So, am particularly antsy :ant::ant:

And you are in Pennsylvania right? Don’t know how people are managing there! :upside_down_face:

Does your mom still live alone, or are you caring for her? It can be hard to be confined with an elderly loved one. They need the outings badly, as do you. Speaking from experience. Whatever the case, hang in there @gaffk!

3 Likes

This may not be what folks had in mind with “other things.” No, not that. sigh The tech community is seeing an increase in penetration attempts from script kiddies. These are young people–and some not so young people–who don’t really know what they are doing but swap scripts and penetration methods to hack phones, tablets, and computers.

1 Like

Unbelievably.

I’m resigning myself to the fact that this is going to be a long haul for those of us with compromised health. The young and the fit will probably be OK in a few weeks with a return to something like normal. But for us, I think lockdown will be there for months. And how do we decide when it’s actually OK to go out normally.

I think I’m missing the supermarket shopping more than anything. It’s no fun having to decide days in advance, for the home delivery order, what vegetable I want with the pork chop, rather than just picking what looks good. Then, on the morning of the delivery, you get an email saying it’s out of stock and it’s too late for substitutes.

Oh, and I so miss our weekly restaurant meal. We’re doing a weekly home delivery meal but it’s just not the same.

5 Likes

We’re heading down this weekend hoping for blackened oysters, to go only. Now, if they have whole blue crabs we’ll pick and eat them in the car and throw the shells out on Seawall Boulevard and the Gulf Freeway on the way back to Houston.:crazy_face::sunglasses:

3 Likes

A young person I know decided last night that a tall bridge was the answer to their problems.

Please, please, please…if you’re struggling, reach out. To us, to your local crisis line, to a friend…let others hold you up while you rest.

5 Likes

Seriously good advice @Sunshine842! We have two high suspension bridges only 6 miles from my house; unlike many such bridges, they aren’t netted, and easy for jumpers to access. There have been many traffic standstills in this area, where local law officials attempt to talk the would be jumpers down. Tragically, there are many that succeed. My (sick) joke is that I’m lucky to have my choice of the bridge from which to jump. It is a sick joke, and not funny. Can assure everyone I wouldn’t choose to go out by defenestration. Life is good, we just need to help each other through these dark and unsettling times. :sun_with_face: Be well everyone, in all ways!

Oh no, just reread your post; praying the young person just verbalized the thought. I’m so sorry if they chose that course of action. :cry:

No, sadly, my young friend left behind a loving extended family and a now-shattered soulmate.

Thanks @Lambchop Pennsylvania’s rough, not just the lockdown, but the shuttering of the state liquor stores :sob:

Luckily mom lives with me. She’s relatively healthy and sharp, so she makes a good Trivial Pursuit\movie watching partner. I think I’d be crazier if she was isolated somewhere alone and I was here alone.

3 Likes

Oh, @Sunshine842 my heart breaks to hear about your young friend. I’m so sorry for your loss.

2 Likes

Shit…so sorry. That’s awful.

1 Like

If we put our heads together we can surely help you build a still from things you have at home. How are you fixed for potatoes?

2 Likes