OT Other things to do during the quarantine

I used to (previous house, old neighborhood) borrow one of several neighbors’ dogs to walk and play with. No food cost, no vet costs.

One particular dog from my immediate neighbors was one of those little furballs. A little elderly, he’d lose bladder control from the excitement of seeing a friend. sigh One day he got out and found me under my car changing the oil. He peed on me. I still have a scar from sitting up while under the car.

2 Likes

Oh no! The daughter’s pup used to have an excitement peeing problem, so I rolled up the rugs til he outgrew it. He’s come a long way.

Speaking of borrowing pets, we were totally dog and cat-less for about a year. I got sad and desperate - was going to volunteer to pet sit for free around the neighborhood. H caved, and we adopted a rescue kitten. He’s the kind of guy who insists he doesn’t want animals, but is a big softie when they’re in his life. She’s a mostly indoor cat, but gets to go out back when we’re home. If she escapes out front, and we’re leaving, he worries about her constantly. She’s our baby now. :cat:

3 Likes

You know I’m bored when I volunteer to clean up cat vomit just to have something to do!

2 Likes

I grew up in the U.S. when Blue Laws were widespread, and pretty much accepted by all. I’m pretty sure Blue Law enforcement never harmed any consumer.

Couldn’t buy gasoline on Sunday.
Couldn’t buy tobacco on Sunday.
Couldn’t buy beer, wine or liquor on Sunday.
Bakeries shuttered.
Grocers shuttered.
Restaurants shuttered.
If you were too stupid to realize this on a Saturday at 8 PM, you went without the next day. No one got any sympathy from anyone else…

Just about the only things open on a Sunday were hospitals, pool halls, churches and movie theaters.

Maybe this Pandemic will force us back into simpler times…

1 Like

I didn’t actually expect anyone to make this but leave it to you. Always ready to try something new.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

:grin: It’s good!

1 Like

I’m sure Sideways Kitty (right?) would never do such a thing.

I did have a sailing mate whose boat cat took a real dislike to me and would leave a hairball in my shoes on passage. I had to sleep in my shoes and always carefully zipped my duffel. Wouldn’t even eat food I dished for him.

1 Like

Until relatively recent times, council areas in Wales could decide whether to permit pubs and bars to open on Sunday. Hotel bars were excluded - which meant hotel bars in otherwise dry districts were packed on a Sunday. My father knew of one pub where the boundary between two council areas ran straight through the building, meaning one bar room could open but the other couldnt.

2 Likes

It wasn’t SidewaysBoy! I have four cats and the eldest barfs a lot. Always in threes.

I’m sorry I got his moniker wrong. I’ll do my best but no guarantee it won’t happen again. Names are not my strong suit.

Four cats are a lot of cats. How much cat litter do you go through? Jeepers.

The beaches in Galveston and Surfside were open and the ex and I both worked retail and our stores were closed.

After brief and furious house cleaning Sunday was BEACH DAY!

I miss those times.

1 Like

I was with you until this (PA is still the queen of blue laws). But dad, grandpa and I suspect their dads before them, all brought back cinnamon buns and donuts after church on Sundays.

2 Likes

All my cats prefer to use our yard over a litterbox. But we use our share :smirk_cat:

:arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up: This is why dogs rule. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Since this thread has gone way off track:

I feel bad for Galveston at this point. I really do. Prime time. Hopefully the locals can pick up the slack restaurant takeout wise. But I seriously doubt that. Bet you ten to one those I could care less cooks at Benno’s step up their game. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Except on cold rainy days. grin It took 12 years for my wife to talk me into a cat. Part of the deal is I don’t “do” cat boxes.

1 Like

I’m not comfortable. My discomfort is growing almost by the minute.

1 Like

How can we help?

1 Like

Bumping for a reason.

Thank you for caring.

Please disregard my post. I apologize for writing it. I fell into a funk reading too much on the web yesterday. I’ll have to be more selective choosing what I read going forward…
:mask:

5 Likes