Osterizer Blender

Nearly a half-century ago, this was a birthday gift from my dad to me. Well, I actually got a slip of paper torn from a notepad that said “I.O.U. one blender. Daddy” with a hand drawing of a blender with little blades that looked like the propellers on a beanie. Well, I’ve had it in storage for over 30 years; just got a new replacement sealing ring, blades, and cup, although I am pretty sure my blades and cup are ok.

Keep your fingers crossed.

17 Likes

We can uncross our fingers. I was gifted this workhorse some 65 years ago. it has been in constant use ever since. Built like a Sherman tank. Never replaced any parts.

Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 5.37.31 PM

12 Likes

My first quality knife was a gift from my dad over 30 years ago. Actually, due to superstition I had to buy it from him for a penny. Still in service. I often think of him when I use it. Fingers crossed for your blender.

7 Likes

This was what I grew up with, and I still have one (slightly different color graphics). They’re workhorses. I think I’ve gummed up the pushbuttons with slop from fruit cocktails, but I fixed that. You’re lucky to have a minty fresh one!

I think there’s a parallel applicable here with other small appliances. Few people actually need a new Vitamix when they already have the equivalent of one of these.

4 Likes

I’m a great lover of old kitchen appliances and hope you enjoy using this puppy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think the last thing I ever made in it was pineapple Daquiris. Then, we listened to phonograph records and had dinner. My dinner guests have all since passed away (though not from the cocktails).

1 Like

One of these was in my childhood home. It also had a separate jar, or perhaps some type of alternative bottom, that ground coffee beans. I remember the aroma as the fresh grounds tumbled out of the hopper.

2 Likes

I have one very similar to the photo in the first post, bought around 1990 and still used constantly. Two years ago I broke the glass vessel and was very pleased to find that Oster still makes the same size, in glass (not plastic). I replaced it and plan to use the blender for at least another 30 years!

4 Likes

Examine the blades after each blend for chipping - no matter if you have a $100 blender or a $3,000 blender.

3 Likes

Honestly, I wish I still had the drawing. I don’t recall throwing it out; I’d kept it for years, then poof.

2 Likes

I never had a great blender until getting a Vitamix 7-8 years ago. We had a Waring 10-speed growing up (nice metal base and glass jar), and most of my adult life had a Krups (nice glass jar - but kind of a clumsy white plastic base). Both did well for things like margaritas and milkshakes.

But for things like nut butters/milks, tahini, chili sauce, fruit with seeds, fibrous veggies, and making/refining flour were just not possible before the Vitamix arrived. My only complaint is the Triton jar (would have much preferred glass), but everything else about it has been stellar.

2 Likes

We have a very similar Waring, goodness knows how old. It has the toggle two speed and on/off switch. These days it is pureeing a lot of food for our granddaughter. To Charlie’s point about chipping, check IBs and FPs, too. Our very, very old original Cuisinart had a blade chip. It needed to be let go anyway because of cracked tubes for which I could not find replacements. We replaced it with an MIJ Cuisinart which was good but not as good. My wife had a lot of issues, and since she was the main user, she got to pick. We got a Magimix, and it is like rediscovering an old treasure to have another Robot Coupe motor. They are just different from all the others, in a good way. But I’ll still check for cracks! I think the main culprits are small stones in bulk spices and grains or hidden in vegetables like leeks.

2 Likes

I had one of the orignal Cuisinarts from the early 70s, also gifted to me. It fell by the wayside; the “newer” one I have was part of the blade recall, which I took part in. Never purchased an even newer one; it seems that they just keep getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger as their main feature - this is something I neither want nor need My IB I rarely use - I’m laughing because what I used to use before IBs became available for home cooks was a rotary egg beater submerged (carefully) in the pot. I’ll keep the Magimix in mind. One thing I don’t do very often is purchase small kitchen appliances. I replaced my Breville countertop oven because the door got wonky after 15 years, and I bought a tiny analogue microwave to stand in while my over the range one went through a lengthy warranty repair- other than that, my only recent purchase was a $49 air fryer. It’s small. It doesn’t do anything but the basics. It’s just right for me.

2 Likes

Me too! And I love finding them at the thrift store from time to time!

A year ago, I reluctantly got Wahine one of the Cuisinart Mini-Preps. Only a blade, and only holds about 2 cups. $50 or so. I actually use it some, whereas I rarely use my DLC7 Pro.

1 Like

That one has intermittently interested me. I currently have a manual mini-chopper that works like a salad spinner with a pull-cord. It’s a Kuhn-Rikon. I usually forget to use it.

1 Like

I have a similar model from Kitchenaid… but it is hard to recommend. Things it does well are mincing lots of garlic, making bread crumbs, nuking graham crackers for cheese cake crust, salad dressings, and pretty much anything where you want a really fine texture.

But chopping is another story. There is just not enough room for things like onions, peppers, and veggies to get tossed around for an even chop… so I get little pieces all the way up to big pieces. If I want an even chop… I “can” get it by cutting the ingredients into about one+ inch pieces before processing them… but honestly I can finish the work with a knife in the same or less time than processing it, getting it out of the bowl, and then cleaning bowl, top, blade, and spoon/spatula.

So if all you need it for is what it does well, it’s a good value. But I rarely use it for chopping.

2 Likes

These are often found at thrift shops in my area for under $10. I have purchased a few and given them to friends and family and I have a couple sitting around the house. They’re useful for small jobs and so I would recommend keeping one around and in a handy cupboard so the moment you consider using it you can whip it onto the countertop. Cleanup is faster than any other full size food processor.

For dicing an onion, however, I still just use my chef knife as it’s faster for me and I get more uniform pieces, though my eyes hate it.

1 Like

Absolutely. Have you tried them for aoli and dips?

1 Like

I don’t make much in the way of aioli or dips. I’ll look into it.

1 Like