Osterizer Blender

I have had a few of these (Cuisinart mini) over the years and find them a useful entry level fp.

I like them for finely chopping onion-ginger-garlic-green chillies for Indian food, pureeing anything, etc.
I really like the reversed grinding function for making masala powders - a rare functionality in machines designed for Western kitchens.

The machine is small and compact on the kitchen counter.

Whatever goes in must of course first be prepped into pieces small enough to not get stuck in the blades. And the plastic jar gets weaker over time, but I have gotten a few years’ use out of each one.

2 Likes

Had a similar Oster blender. It was my moms. Only had a flip switch. On and off we’re the settings

1 Like

But was it a 2-speed?

Bonus points for it also having the crushed ice attachment!

1 Like

Should I be looking out for one of these? I have a Vitamix. Is there a function an Osterizer can do that a Vitamix cannot?

1 Like

No, they’re pretty weak and cheap. Stick with your Vitamix.

1 Like

I have a tiny, ancient Cuisinart Mini-Mate. I used to pull it out from time to time, usually to make garam masala. Now I use a large mortar and pestle. The Mini-Mate is on the verge of falling pray to my one year rule. It is hard to clean.

1 Like

“Dips” are aptly named for the dish and the people who make them.

Glad to see you’re not one.

1 Like

My wife is on her third (I think) Black and Decker Handy Chopper. She doesn’t cook a meal that I don’t hear that thing a’whirring. I’ve broken down and used it a time or two myself. Not half bad.

1 Like

Mine is like that one except one additional button for “Pulse”, and it’s got a round knob on the right above the push buttons for “high/low” speed.

Near as I can tell the speed settings do not make any difference.

Not sure how old it is. We’ve had it about 30 years and it came from a Grandma or Aunt before that.

From time to time I’ve thought about replacing it with a newer/more powerful model but really I don’t blend stuff enough to justify it.

1 Like

This is my reach-for kitchen appliance (attachment). I had several other brands’ mini processors and found all inadequate, then stumbled over this one. Works brilliantly, washes and stores easily.
No longer in production, but available online second hand and at garage/flea markets. I love it!

1 Like

I used to have that one! Mine also had a stand mixer and I think a meat grinder attachment.

Sort of like this

s-l400 (1)

I don’t see the mini prep. Maybe I bought it separately.

3 Likes

I have the Osterizer with the toggle switch. On/pulse. We bought a special blade for ice. I also have this Sunbeam Oskar Jr mini chopper.

oskar jr

3 Likes

That’s a stunning piece of equipment.

2 Likes

I use mine as you have indicated. It doesn’t do chopping of vegetables well, unless you literally coarse chop them first.

1 Like

It was very cool. I still have the mixing bowl!

2 Likes

No just on and off. But based on how long it continued to work, I’d say they don’t make them like they use to

2 Likes

You realize you’ve just slandered most of the world’s cuisines and those who practice them?

1 Like

I guess I am a big dip, as I make them for a bunch of stuff. Salsas and guac are king. I make a lot of other stuff that I might consider sauces, but if they’re designed for dipping your food (egg rolls, satay, falafel, pita, shrimp, chips, etc.) into, would all be considered “dips”?

2 Likes

Badge of Honor, I say…

1 Like

I like to make fresh guacamole but I mix it by hand and like it to stay a little less than smooth.

I also make an Iranian eggplant dish that could be construed as a dip, kashk bademjoon, which translated to whey with eggplant. The whey gives it a tang (akin to miso) and the smoky roasted eggplant, fried onions, and fried mint and garlic topping combine to form a delicious starter. Again, I mix the roasted eggplants with two forks as I like the final consistency to not reach purée.

Sabra hummus is about exactly how I like hummus and I can’t make jt any more to my liking than their ultra smooth style. Hummus I actually do like to be puréed.

Last year I got a used Bamix which is what I would reach for if I wanted a quick homogeneous blend.

Trying to think of anything else I make that’s dippish but I can’t think of any.

2 Likes