Non-Italian pizza

We took a road trip yesterday to an Indian grocery store about 40 minutes from home and came across these. Mr Bean and The Sprout didn’t understand why I had to take a picture.

6 Likes

Flammekuechen is pretty easy to pull off at home from scratch.

Heartily endorse.

8 Likes

Looks good!

well that rang a big bell…
living in southern Germany near Basil Flammkuchen was essential pub food. hadn’t thought of it in years . . .
couple videos - they all mention it differs from pizza dough in that it has no yeast - just flour, salt, oil, water…
so I went looking for the approximate proportions and the first 4-6 recipes that turned up . . . . all include yeast and rising time.
so, not even authentic remains authentic , , , anymore.

2 Likes

Here’s recipe that may ring truer to you…albeit from the British press.

2 Likes

thanks for the link! gotta’ give this a go for old times sake.

Adding my thanks for the flammekuechen recipe!

A couple years ago we met up with friends at a wine festival in Alsace for a special (to us) summer vacation. This version looks like what we enjoyed on our trip.

2 Likes

Not by chance in Cleebourg? One of my visits. And our first flammekouchen

2 Likes

Different festival. We have friends that love going to a regional wine festival in Ribeauville, so we decided to make a vacation out of joining them (in the Before Times).

They returned home after the weekend and then my husband and I spent a few fun days exploring around Colmar.

Such a picturesque region! And the food is quite hearty.

2 Likes

To be honest, it’s always interesting for me to taste popular food all over the world in different countries. For example, rolls or pizza. They are so different in every country! If you also try to sample local food, then you can understand why pizza has such ingredients. In general, I think food travel is one of the coolest ways to experience the world!

3 Likes
8 Likes

Never had a Sacda Pizza however, looks wonderful …

2 Likes

Fun watch. Skills galore!

Wow that looks incredible. I’m guessing she doesn’t do delivery.

1 Like

finally got it done - DW is still raving over it . . .
I think it could have crisped another minute or two.

5 Likes

note to readers:
if you haven’t done the dish, you need to do the dish.
@pilgrim link for the dough is spot on - I wound up with a bit of extra dough for a 14" round size at “really thin” - planning to reduce to
225 g bread flour
135 g water
45 ml oil
for next try.

the one extraordinary contributor to this dish is the creme fraiche - it’s not a ‘usual cheesey’ base - and obviously the tomato ‘thang’ is missing altogether.

don’t spread the creme fraiche to the edges - the thin dough develops “blisters/bubbles” and puffs up, the creme fraiche will melt and run off…

done on a preheated 550’F stone, let the edges/top brown to ensure the best crispy crunch. bake time is in the 4-6 minute range. not all ovens will preheat to 550’F - nadda’ problem, takes a few seconds more.

the ‘toppings’ one can do ‘classic/traditional’ to wild&woolly. I’m going to do anchovies on my half of the next…

3 Likes

For when you feel like experimenting further, here are some options at a little fast food flammenkeuchen dive in Paris.

2 Likes

Mountain sheep? :smile:

1 Like

round two - one learns as one goes . . . .

turned up some Italian imported Speck
used some scallion/green onions in the mix
reduced the flour/water for a 14" stone - still had some excess dough
roll it thin - like seriously thin - better results.
turned on Broil for a couple minutes at the end - browning better

8 Likes

That looks delicious.
Non tomato toppings are always interesting to me.

1 Like