What are you baking? APRIL 2023

A small and simple 6” cake, a bit of a cobbled together one at that. White Lily Self Rising flour and almond meal, a little sour cream that I was using up. Crumb was fine textured and tender, and my favorite go to chocolate frosting by RLB, her sour cream/chocolate, was perfect for the cake.
I had some chocolate feuilletine that I swiped across the bottom of the cake and a few flakes for the top added some crunch which gave the cake a little more interest and was a nice change from sliced almonds.

14 Likes

Beautiful, and sounds delicious!

1 Like

Thanks! It kept well overnight and a slice was very good this afternoon. Have you ever made RLB sour cream /chocolate frosting…so simple and so good.

I have not – I usually just default to ganache, but now I will have to try it!

340g chocolate in the 62% range
400g room temperature sour cream
I usually put the bowl with the sour cream in the warm but not hot oven.
Melt chocolate in micro, mix with sour cream until blended, I add a squirt of Lyles.
1/6 makes “just enough” for a 6” cake.
I’m stingy with frosting as it’s not my jam :joy:

6 Likes

Apple-bacon pizza for brunch, inspired by @Phoenikia’s post on the Non-Italian Pizza thread.

Details on the bake here.

12 Likes

Looks wonderful and that sounds like a great combination! Yum!

2 Likes

Milk Chocolate Caramel Sheet Cake recipe from One Tin Bakes. A birthday cake for my son. The cake is a very light moist chocolate cake which has sour cream and a bit of oil and not sweet.

The milk chocolate salted caramel ganache is to die for but took about 3 hrs to set. I think a little bit more butter would help. Then the cake is sprinkled with peanuts which I roasted and chopped and a sprinkle od cocoa nips which gave a nice little crunch. Enjoyed by family.

13 Likes

milk chocolate salted caramel ganache HOLY cow that sounds good.

once it was set, was it firm (not transferring to your finger when you touch it, i mean) like ganache?

1 Like

Its definitely not of the consistency that you would ice a cake. I would only use it in the centre and top of a cake. Less cream or a bit more butter might make it thicker. Picture in book shows cake only in a pan but checking out some pictures on EYB shows a very creamy texture.

1 Like

Olive and oregano loaf made with sourdough starter for flavor, and since I still had some refreshed starter, some rolls labeled as Japanese soft baguettes that also called for biga (but proportions were closer to pate fermentee) originally.
The baguettes are soft, lightly sweet rolls with a very thin crust that would be great in a katsu or egg sandwich.

9 Likes

I tried these, made a 1/3 recipe like you but cut 4 biscuits instead of 3.
Wow wow the flavor and texture both outstanding. I can’t imagine anyone thinking any different, so glad I saw your post.

1 Like

Happy to hear they worked out for you! I’ll definately be making them again. :yum:

I made the ginger pound cake that @Shellybean posted a YouTube link for in the February baking thread. Despite not having the right flour or sugar, this turned out well and I really like the hit of fresh ginger. Instead of frosting with the mascarpone, I just mixed it with maple syrup so we could have room temperature cake and cold mascarpone. I’d say this cake had a better texture last night when it was slightly warm, but the ginger is more pronounced today. As you can see from my slightly lumpy topping, I didn’t beat it but just stirred the syrup in.

12 Likes

Cold topping with room temp cake is definitely the way to go. I agree I really liked the cake when it was warm.

1 Like

Milk Bread recipe from Mooncakes & Milkbread. I increased the recipe by 1 1/2 times and baked in my 4x13 pullman pan with top off. Family loves it and it disappears so quickly.

13 Likes

A lot of my friends seems to have birthdays in the spring! I decided to sort through a massive file of recipes recently as part of an uncharacteristic bout of spring cleaning. I recycled about 95% of them ( so far: much more to go) but found some that I thought had been lost! This is a very simple cookie with mini peanut butter cups: I didn’t have quite enough ( may have eaten too much) so added Reece’s Pieces as well. Not bad!

10 Likes

Home with mom to bake some goodies for a bake and book sale she’s running tomorrow.

I made some giant brown-butter chocolate chip cookies

and lemon pound cake cakelets and mini-loaves (Smitten Kitchen) that I’ll glaze in the morning.

11 Likes

Everything looks so good. Im sure it will be a great success.

3 Likes

Here’s one with icing.

It’s 9 am and I’m at the bake sale. I already had homemade fudge for breakfast (oof.)

10 Likes