NJ's best sub/hoagie shops

Yes ! Yes ! Yes !

White House in Atlantic City is the best sub I have ever had in my life. Close to my home and our go to sub shop is Elsie’s in Red Bank.

1 Like

Can you tell me what is good at Elsie’s? Went once and it was nothing special at all to me. But I see people love it, so maybe I got wrong thing?

Metsfan…you are right that there is nothing “special” about Elsie’s, but guess it’s more that it is a local icon that has served consistently tasty subs at a good value at the same “hole in the wall” location since 1959 (and I was there when it opened). Folks like the selection as they have 50 subs on the menu. I try every sub place in the area but always come back to Elsie’s. But again it is not close to White House in AC which I believe is the gold standard of subs in New Jersey. Anyway, I usually get the #16, ham, salami, cappacola, provolone with hot peppers.

1 Like

Robert have you tried any of the talercio’s subs? I think you might enjoy them.

Talercios and Brennan’s are my two best spots in the area for subs. Federico’s in Shrewsbury has been decent so far toostrong text

corvette_j…have had sandwiches from Taliercio’s but not a sub. Next time will have to try. Thanks for the recommendation. I see their Italian has ham, salami, pepperoni, provolone…wonder if they would replace the pepperoni with cappacola?

corvette_j…finally had a sub, called a Italian hero, at Taliercio’s. It was a nice size and fairly heavy for $7.95. The bread was excellent as was the meats and cheese. My issue with it was it had way too much meat, I mean a lot of meat, and not enough lettuce/tomato/onions/hot peppers (see photo below).

1 Like

Yeah they go heavy on the meat there. Try Giannas in atlantic highlands. Get the “Atlantic highlands special” but ask for the mastro salami instead of the Genoa. There is no ham on this sandwich. Lauren is the deli lady and she is a really nice women. I love that sub! Chat her up…she is quite friendly.

Also, I get the prosciutto di Parma with fresh mozz and roasted peppers. They charge like 2 dollars more for di Parma and it is well worth it!

This is my problem with the majority of Italian subs out there. They put way too much meat in there. I mean this is literally the only time you will ever hear me say this. And there’s definitely a “that’s what she said” in there somewhere.

Anyway, with a non-salty cut like roast beef, having that much in a sub is great. But with stuff like ham, salami, etc, it’s just way too much, I always end up having to take half the meat out (heyo again).

I find I prefer Italian subs at cheapo places that skimp on the meat.

1 Like

Agree joonjoon…I want to taste more than just meat in my sub. Best sub I ever had was Whitehouse Subs in Atlantic City. Photo below is their version of an Italian, called a Special".

3 Likes

Turkey/cranberry sub

1 Like

Definitely a favorite! Speakeatery (a name I’ll never be fond of, even though I love everything I’ve had from there) in Asbury Park does a yummy version…

When I owned a sub shop, the most popular sandwich on the day after Thanksgiving was the Turkey Trot - Turkey, cheddar, lettuce, tomato, mayo and cranberry sauce. I’m glad no one thought to make it at home.

1 Like

You owned a sub shop?? That’s so awesome.

1 Like

Sure did. Catered out of it as well.

So, I’m an unabashed Taliercios fan but I agree that their Italian sub is too meat heavy. Other sandwiches hit the mark pretty well. My son just came home with the Peter Luger which is hot roast beef, mozz, and peter luger sauce. Really a good sandwich. (I had to throw a filter on it because i only got one pic before he inhaled the rest and didn’t realize the lighting sucked so bad)

1 Like

Is the the Peter Luger sandwich you described a common combo? I’m curious as a deli I worked at up in Bayonne while I was in college had the same thing. Don’t think I’ve seen it elsewhere.

Don’t know about common, can’t say I’ve seen it in a lot of other joints.

But maybe I’m just not paying attention in other places.

Their Roast beef is usually pretty darn good. From what I understand, it is cooked in house and is not the usual Boars Head product.

1 Like