NJ's best sub/hoagie shops

We enjoy subs from Mike’s Subs in Keyport. While nothing super fancy or complicated appears on the menu, the shop is super clean and the coldcuts very fresh. We stop by early in the morning and pick up lunch before any number of road trips.

They dont number their sandwiches. I get the one listed third from the top.

2 Likes

I know this isn’t a best sandwich thread but the tuna hero from Gem was so good I’m
reposting about it here
tuna hero from Gem on Union Ave in Hazlet. The cold cuts were boring boars head, the tuna was house made, nothing fancy just tuna with mayo but it was good. Tuna, lettuce, tomato, red onion, red wine vinegar, great bread … couldn’t have been better … wish I had one now!

5 Likes

Just hit Frank’s for the first time. I had to have the pastrami on rye to compare it with Richard’s and the DH had the Reuben. The subs that I saw on the tables around me made me drool. Def going back to try one.

1 Like

How did it compare to richards?

Richard’s pastrami is better IMO. The sandwich at Frank’s was dry. The meat was very lean. Richard’s is juicy and well seasoned. We’ve not had a Reuben from Richard’s but my DH enjoyed the Reuben from Frank’s. Took home half of it.

We go to the Gem’s in Hazlet. Our favorite is the breakfast sandwich Gem’s calls The Rocket. A super loaded egg sandwich, one is enough to share. I would call it a breakfast sub.

2 Likes

If I find my way back down there I will be sure to give it a go …TY

1 Like

Couple of the real good shops in Hoboken do it up this way.

Willow Deli. Breakfast sandwich with meat & potato is stacked, delicous and easy to eat (gotta love the precision of Asians making anything).

The rueben at Richards is good.

Has anyone been to shapiros lately in red bank? It is on my radar but I haven’t been yet. After hearing some mediocre reviews, it isn’t on my top 5 list.

taliercio

Had this masterpiece from Taliercio’s tonight. The “Mikey A”: turkey, fresh mozzarella, fried eggplant, roasted red peppers. Needed to practically unhinge my jaw to eat this. Ended up removing quite a bit of turkey. I could make another sandwich with what I took out! Like others have mentioned, sometimes you can have too much meat in a sandwich.

Here’s my review of them from last year.

5 Likes

I like Taliercio’s but agreed with you. I wish the proportions were better, more eggplant, more red peppers to get closer to the turkey/mozz amount. I really like their bread.

We got sandwiches from Tuscany by the Sea in Bradley Beach a week or two ago. Delicious, super fresh bread.

3 Likes

This place is great. I think this joint and HOC have been around the longest in that graveyard.

1 Like

It’s been awhile but I’ll revive this thread with a shout out to Teliercio’s in Middletown. Picked up a couple of subs before the Giants humiliating game yesterday. Thank God the food was delicious!

Halftime dedication to the 2011 Super Bowl team, fond memories of being a proud Giants fan!!

7 Likes

Those subs look great. The Giants not so much.

1 Like

Sorry to yuck on your yum Greg, but can you really call a sub a masterpiece if you have to take stuff out of it to eat it? :slight_smile: I think so many places get the meat ratio wrong. I know it’s great to look at a huge pile but it ruins the ratio. It’s the same with some of these burgers that have 5x more meat than bun.

I think I’m just cranky because I haven’t had a good sub in a while. :smiley:

Or maybe I’m just a whiner. Going back in this thread I’ve been complaining about too much meat for 5 years! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

No Joon you’re right. Food is also about balance. There’s a pizza joint in Howell that makes a really good Italian sandwich. EXCEPT that the provolone they use totally overpowers the rest of the ingredients. I always ask them to just put half on my sandsich.

2 Likes

Carlucci’s or Carluccio’s on Rt 9 in Marlboro was the exact same way. A whole sub weighs 5lbs, even a half is enough for 4 ppl. If you ate the appropriate meat serving it would be on skinny slices of bread. Throws the whole sandwich off in my opinion.

1 Like

Will say big Mike’s has to be up there for best subs I’ve had lately. Def substantial without being gross. Bonus for great bread and place that has crispy not soggy chicken cutlet

2 Likes