NJ's best sub/hoagie shops

These contests are not unlike the old WABC best principal of your grammar school contests (where you’d write in on index sized cards to get your school a winner). Same principle here, where a handful of people may have got together to nominate their shop (Pete developed his own half of the bracket based on feedback, etc).

As for Neils, the kitchen has smokers. That’s the only reason to explain Neil’s overly salted soups (the only thing worse in memory was my sending back what was a beautiful mushroom soup down in Tequesta FL a few weeks ago). It’s a problem all over, I’m finding.

I used to go to Neil’s somewhat regularly but I’ve stopped. IMO it’s not a destination spot. Most local Italian Deli/sub shops will have everything they do, except some of the entrees. They have some creative combinations and stuff but at the end of the day all of their deli meats are packaged stuff, not home made. So it won’t be appreciably better than other Italian places unless you go for things like chicken breast. I used to get the chicken franchese here and really enjoyed it until I came to my senses and realized chicken parm is the far superior sandwich.

I’ve been meaning to hit up Speakeatery for ages and never seem to remember. They have some awesome looking sandwiches!

As for other options - let me start by saying as much as I love shitty fast food, I just don’t like Subway. I don’t know why, because I enjoy getting subs at Wawa and Quickcheck. Might be the kiosks.

I do have a very, very soft spot in my heart for the “Blimpie Best (their version of the Italian combo),” which introduced me to the world of subs many years ago.

Jersey Mike’s is ok, but they skimp on meat and their prices are far, far out of whack compared to any local pizza place. I don’t go there unless I have to.

On the other side of the meat equation, I abhor Italian subs that pile the meat on too high. Half of the meat you’re slicing on is ham, and you don’t need that much ham in a sandwich damnit!! I swear some Italian subs make me feel like I’m just eating a pile of ham.

I love the meatball sub at Ocean View with all my heart, but truthfully I think I’d love it just as much even if it tasted like dirt. I would go there a lot more often if it didn’t get me so emotional.

Finally, my favorite sub shop of all time, the place I still dream about even though I haven’t been there in 15+ years, is Super Duper Deli in Edison. Why? Because they actually have a sandwich that you almost never see in a sub shop: Hot roast beef and gravy. The gravy is thin, almost like au jus. Fantastic stuff, I ate that sandwich about 4 days a week at my first job for a good year and never got tired of it.

3 Likes

Actually eleeper, it wasn’t that painful. I remember pushing back at the slide show panorama when NJ.com started with this gimmick, but one can typically zoom through it pretty quickly. And when talking food, a pic helps (of the sandwiches that is, not so much the proprietor or the clientele).

There were some beauties posted, though I don’t believe I’ll ever be near Vineland to try the Itallion Stallion (lol).

Which brings me to Fiores. As I was in Hoboken a couple of months ago visiting my son, I grabbed some sandwiches from Sasso’s Deli (and man, was that sub roll off the hook. While a bit smallish for a sub, they artfully dressed that baby (crisp, well done roll with amazing taste). The prosciuitto/moz was pretty damned reputable. As he lives about 12 blocks from Fiores’, I’ve already told him (as he was home for Thanksgiving) that next time, he brings me same, prosciuotto/moz with roasted peppers. That should keep him in good graces here at the homestead.

Dearborn Farms in Holmdel makes a nice sloppy joe in turkey, roast beef or ham that we take for lunch sometimes.

1 Like

–This for the win.

2 Likes

It looks like there are more than one super duper deli in Edison now?

Totally agree on the Italian sub

Looks like there’s two now. I believe the one I used to go to is the original by New Durham Rd.

I had a super sub yesterday at Florham Park Pizza that I have to say was just awesome.

http://www.florhamparkpizzanj.com/

$ 8.25 for a 12 inch sub loaded with Capicolla, Salami, Pepperoni, Ham, Provolone & Mozzarella. It came with tomatoes, onions, lettuce, oil, vinegar & banana peppers.

Their bread is really outstanding, a nice crispy crust and chewy.

I made it to Speakeatery with a friend. He got whatever is their take on the classic Italian sub, and mine was a roast beef and turkey with cheese and cole slaw.

Both were very good. Their Italian was actually very well constructed and had a really great balance. Unfortunately I only got 2 bites of this because it wasn’t my order. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Elliot Mess was a roast beef and turkey combo and while the sandwich was really tasty, I just don’t understand why anyone would combine turkey and roast beef in a sandwich. It’s like making a double burger where one of the patties is a beautiful medium/rareish beef and the other is a well done turkey burger. It only detracts from the experience!

I also tried a taste of their Pastrami and while it didn’t have the strip of fat on top that I consider mandatory, it was a pretty tasty and cooked perfectly.

I don’t think this place is going to make my regular rotation, but I plan on popping in for their pastrami sandwich and cheese steak at some point.

1 Like

So funny…the Elliot Mess is one of my favorites there!
But I still love you. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hehe don’t get me wrong, I think it was very tasty, but would have been better all roast beef. I guess I’m generally not a huge fan of turkey as a deli meat. And I guess I just have a preference for the classics.

Have you tried any of the other sammies there?

@joonjoon suggest you try the fresh turkey (No. 4) at Brennan’s in Rumson.

That is one rockin sammie.

And one of the things I love there is that it’s REAL turkey…

I haven’t had a ‘classic’ sub there but everything I’ve tried has been yummy, including a cucumber/dill salad (side)!

I’m on board with Joon here. I thought I was the weird one. I was always like “why the hell would you combine turkey and roastbeef?” Not once in my life have I ever ordered one but Ive had some at catered events/work where I didn’t order/buy.

They aren’t bad but it’s just a strange combo to me.

Turkey to me is a do it at home cold cut. I can make decent subs, however an awesome Italian sub is a lot harder to pull off, especially since I like various meats on mine like sop, cap, prosciutto. Lately I’ve been doing the dry cured Mastro salami and it blows all the genoa stuff away.

I’m a big fan of the boars head salsalito turkey for readily available grocery store stuff.

Yep. It’s gotta be real roast turkey, not the mechanically separated processed stuff.

That’s why I like the Brennan’s Sammie.

Hey @corvette_johnny is there anywhere around here that is doing a good hot turkey sandwich?

Those are some good eating.

I know richards has one but I haven’t tried it. I bet the one at amys is decent too

http://www.youramys.com/mobile/menu.html

@joonjoon you still need to try the papagallos cuban! I think this thing will be speaking your language. If you have any diet or heart conditions I don’t recommend it.

Yes I finally realized the cubans you’re talking about is not remotely like the traditional ones. It’s next on my list for sure!

I think the problem with combining turkey and roast beef is that they are both kind of bland cuts. That’s why a Club configuration works so well with both. But for sure the turkey absolutely needs something like bacon to jack it up a bit.

I’m generally not a fan of that slimy wet deli turkey, but I would probably cry if I could never have this again:

@CurlzNJ Frank’s Deli and Danny’s are both close to us and have real turkey too btw. For my money it’s hard to beat a roast beef club on rye from Frank’s. Also if you haven’t tried, most of the tortas from the Mexican shops near us are tasty and inexpensive!

Oh, yes…I love me some sandwiches from Frank’s (partially for the same reason–it’s not slimy deli meat)! Their hours sometimes don’t coordinate with mine, however (only open breakfast/lunch). Their fries kick butt too…

1 Like

Dude is it me or should there be some type of bad ass thanksgiving food truck around here? I wish I could get a good open face turkey sandwich at any time. My smoked turkey gravy will leave people twitching on the floor. It takes like 15 hours or so to make (depending on the bird size) but still lol. This stuff is mind boggling. For some reason I want to open a food truck and do something unique. If there would be a feasible way to get the smoked gravy to be economical, I bet it would go over well. Not many people have had real, fresh pan rendered hickory smoked turkey gravy. It even looks awesome with its blackish hue.

I always thought a thanksgiving/turkey truck would be killer. Empanada guy is up to 6 trucks I believe, so take that for what it’s worth. @VikingKaj

2 Likes

WaWa’s got you covered, my friend! http://www.brandeating.com/2014/11/review-wawas-hot-turkey-gobbler.html

And next Thanksgiving you better hook me up with some of that turkey gravy!

I like where you’re going with this Thanksgiving truck idea. How about a HOLIDAY FEAST truck? I guess there’s not a lot of dishes out there that’s as iconic as turkey. Maybe some kind of holiday ham sandwich (ham, pineapple, and…?). Also perhaps some kind of prime rib / tenderloin and gravy sandwich. Corned beef? Maybe a green bean casserole something. I would be pretty excited by this truck.

1 Like