NJ's best sub/hoagie shops

I have to confess I’ve never to either. Speakeatery, which is literally across the street from Vintage, has more interesting sandwiches for my taste --I just rarely go for a classic sub!

Wow, speakeatery looks very interesting. I may have to give that a shot.

Have to confess that I gravitate to Mogo or Bond Street in that area.

1 Like

if you ever get up to Boston, try Al’s for subs, just a block from South Station train station (in addition to the usual Italian meats, they have stellar chicken salad and egg salad, and their rolls are the best). For pastrami in particular, try Sam LaGrassa’s, a few blocks away.

And Subway does not care if a new franchisee open within a block of an existing store. A buddy of mine used to own a few back home and got out after having to deal with corporate for a few years

We were just talking about Speakeatery yesterday. A friend was raving about their sandwiches and my wife loves them as well.
My wife has been to Vintage once and hasn’t felt a desire to go back

1 Like

Oh yes…Mogo is a go-to for me before ANY sandwich!

I’ve come to a revelation as far as my question concerning sandwich shops after reading the Local Smoke bbq thread.
Our sandwich places in KC were and are bbq joints, one in every neighborhood and distinct from Soul Food places.
I am understanding your pain concerning cue and the issues when it isn’t part of the fabric of the community. Kind of learning as they go as opposed to drawing on 100+ years of culture and tradition.

Just stopped by Brennans in Rumson for a no 3 roast beef horseradish cheddar and a no 11 chikn cutlet bacon lettuce and tomato.

I’ve gotta say their sammies are awesome !

So good.

3 Likes

my go to every Saturday…#14 RB/Cheddar/Bacon/Russian

great catering as well

Even Helga approves which is very unusual.

Talk to me about Neil’s in Long Branch, people! Pete not only posted a photo of a sandwich that looked damn good, they had stunning bread, too… Worth a ride?

@CurlzNJ

They have some decent stuff. The t-ranx, #13 chicken, BBQ chicken and chicken Francese are ones I enjoy.

If I was going to make the trip to LB I would hit up ocean view. Get a sub with prosciutto, sopressata, hot cap, aged provolone, roasted peppers, and balsamic. That will get the job done.

1 Like

One of my all time favorites…you simply can’t get anything like this outside of NYC area imo. I believe it is the bread. If I had to guess, I would say each half of this “half” would be 1000 calories + lol

1 Like

Holy crap! Is that from Ocean View?

No that is from Giannas in Atlantic highlands. Shoot me a PM and I can divulge some details : ) it’s pretty awesome!

Holy Crap !!! That looks freaking delishus !!!

I was only able to eat half of it (lunch tomorrow!), but I loved the #13 at Neil’s Kitchen… Thin sliced chicken cutlets, fresh mozz, roasted peppers, and a ton of fresh spinach plus balsamic and olive oil on VERY good bread.

It is serious! …No boiled ham too.

I get them to hook me up with some perks too, hence the pm. ; )

@CurlzNJ yes that one is a winner too. Try the fired cutlet with fresh mozzarella and peps at ocean view. I think you will be impressed if you haven’t had it already.

1 Like

If they think I’m going to step through a 40-picture slide show to see what the finalists are, they’ve been smoking that recreational marijuana everyone has been talking about!

Can’t beat those two options for inexpensive, decent food.