NJ Food News

It seems several of her venues came and went pretty quickly.

I did some Googling to see if I could figure out where Chef Toni was now but the most recent entry I could find (besides this discussion) was from 2009.

1 Like

File under things I didn’t know we had in NJ: NJ’s Chile Pepper Farm

3 Likes

It’s about 5 miles from my home. I haven’t been there since the new owners took over. I remember it being very interesting. There were many, many different varieties of peppers and tomato plants available. They also had a staggering selection of basil plants too. The workers were very knowledgeable.

1 Like

This is walkable from my mom’s farm which is incredible. I knew the former owner. It’s a very cool place.

1 Like

APP reports that Bruno’s Bakery of Staten Island is moving in to the former Applegate Farm space on West Main Street in Freehold Township. Pre-pandemic, Del Ponte’s was supposed to open another location but decided against it. Bruno’s owners hope to open in early November.

Anyone familiar w them from SI? I have a friend who grew up there and another who’s an NY/NJ bakery fiend and will report back on what I learn.

I live very close by and watched Del Ponte’s move at a snail’s pace over the course of more than a year. Hard to tell from driving by how ready the store is to opening (I knew nothing about Bruno’s until reading Curlz post), but it must be pretty ready for an early November opening. This one is an easy lift for me to take one for the team!

1 Like

I’m reasonably close. Their Staten Island site says they’re a bakery and a restaurant. Always interested in finding an excellent bakery, so I will check out their offerings.

Note: Their FB page has this: “Join Bruno’s opening team. Bruno’s is hiring across all positions in our front of house team.”

Bruno’s bakery is pretty good. Restaurant did a great brunch. Service was usually an issue though.
The one I frequented on the north shore closed. Will be a welcome addition

Too bad cake chef won’t come, that bakery is fantastic

1 Like

No restaurant at the Freehold location, unfortunately. Gelato come spring. Possibly to-go type stuff at some point.

2 Likes

That too bad. Food was pretty good. Should get good brand recognition on that area as well

Heard back ftom my friend who grew up on S. I. and he said the bakery is good, gelato is terrific, and it’s a bummer we’re not getting the restaurant too as he loved their food. Still said it’s a good addition for us.

Who needs another Italian restaurant there when there is already an Olive Garden right next to it :smile:

2 Likes

From APP:

The WindMill has a new owner: Ralph Epstein, who with his family owns and operates Jumping Brook Country Club in Neptune, and Hanover Golf Club in Wrightstown. The business changed hands yesterday and the new owner says everything will stay the same.

2 Likes

Windmill update: people on my local NextDoor board are asking “When did Windmill (Belmar location) change their hot dogs?” “One bite and I knew it was different…” so someone who knows needs to take one for the team and report back!

2 Likes

Jersey Shore Restaurant Week is 11/4 - 11/13
https://jerseyshorerestaurantweek.com/

2 Likes

Posting this here, just as an fyi. Read elsewhere in nyc they traced some of it netcost market cold cuts.

Actually here is link to that one

Since I am a certified germaphobe I will be avoiding NetCost at all costs for awhile ( like a year or 10 )

OK, so this past weekend I was out at lunch time and decided to stop by Windmill for a dog. I have eaten them for years, and have bought the packages to cook on my own grill. So I think I know the taste.

It’s not not same dog. I though everything was supposed to be the same, according to the new owners. In fact, I think even the sliced pickles were different. Although I only have them infrequently.

It wasn’t terrible, it just wasn’t the same dog.

2 Likes

Interesting - and consistent with what I’ve read. I’ve never been, so I’m no help, but hopefully the new owners are hearing this!

1 Like