NJ Food News

Absolutely agree. I’m in AP also. So convenient.

1 Like

I love Samaha’s. Good quality, nice staff, competitive prices. I only miss the drive through thing they did during covid. Good god that was a stroke of genius and I always over bought because everything looked so good.

2 Likes

In a single household like mine I have to be careful when I go to a place like this .
Corn was so good, got to get some more stuff this week.

1 Like

I guess they can start calling it “Hard Honey”? :rofl: :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

APP reports “Local ice cream favorite Nicholas Creamery has leased a spot for its latest parlor among a new row of stores in front of ShopRite on Route 35.” Slated to open in the fall.

It’s the old Sears Auto Center and it sounds like they’re going to put a bunch of stores there - Nicholas Creamery sounds FAR better than the Amazon warehouse we got in the old Sears space in Ocean, imo!

2 Likes

But how long has the “Coming Soon” sign been there? :slight_smile:

(In Marlboro, there was a sign that a movie theater was coming soon at the corner or Route 9 and Texas Road. The sign was there for ten years before the theater actually got built.)

I can’t find a thread on the new “no single-use bags” law in NJ, so I guess it’s just food news:

Livoti’s has a (new) rule that all purchases must be bagged. No “going Costco” and just reloading everything into the cart!

Shoprite has probably gotten rid of their rule about everything not bagged needing to be stickered, but they do say that hand baskets may not be taken out of the store. (I bet those started disappearing real fast!)

One side effect of all this is that people who aren’t buying bags are bagging their own groceries. (On the rare occasions I use the self-service check-out, I put everything on the output tray without bagging it, then bag it all at the end. It seems to go faster, and I get to sort the food better. In the regular line, everything that goes in my insulated bag goes on the belt first.)

1 Like

Developers ran out of money and it took awhile to find a decent theater chain
But you know how that ended up, right?
How about that phantom restaurant on route 9 near Marlboro Green? If those walls could talk lol

I passed by there twice in two weeks so can confirm it went up within a week.

I’ve always liked to bag my own groceries so I could arrange them in a way that worked for me. I tried to put my items on the belt in the order I wanted to bag them but invariably the checker would have another idea.

I didn’t initially like the self check out because there wasn’t enough room leave my bags in the holding area (which I think you have to do). But I recently noticed that the check outs closest to the doors have a much bigger staging are than the ones closer to the store interior. Now I can set up all my bags and as I scan an item I put into the right bag. I works pretty well unless I am buying TP which takes up so much space.

3 Likes

yeah, and it goes soft after a few hours… but if the honey stays hard for too long, you may have a problem… and it goes on and on…

Had lunch at Tribo’s today. We had an original platter (whole chicken with 2 sides). A dozen wings. A two lamb chops. With 2 fountain drinks total comes out to around $73 including tax.
Food is decent. The chickens are nicely grilled and definitely reminded me of Nando’s. Everything tasted good but nothing really wows me. The restaurant is very nice and clean with plenty of seating. All in all, it’s definitely worth trying and a good option for a casual meal.

6 Likes

Not really food related, but those in the Holmdel/Hazlet area may have noticed a lot of buzz around the former Ruby Palace (i.e. later goat rodeos Zhang’s Grille and Peter’s Crab and Steakhouse). They are apparently filming an episode of a Walking Dead prequel series and have chosen Zhang’s as either a set or staging area. Quite a fitting location for a horror show! Throw in the Holmdel Motor Lodge and some jokes really do write themselves.

7 Likes
3 Likes

NJ.com review of the state’s first Amazon supermarket

Yawn.

Interesting…there is one coming to the old Toy’s R Us location in Eatontown. Although I am a prime member and (per the article) will be receiving my 20% off - I plan on trying my hardest to steal something from them. lol
(I’m sorry but once you start touting how great a system is, I’ve got to test it!!)

8 Likes

I will volunteer to organize the GoFundMe to bail you out. Link to follow…

6 Likes

Any good feeehold spots for a ho down near the county jail? Possibly a bakery we can sneak a file in?

5 Likes

Let’s say I’m a patient of OneMedical and a user of Amazon.

When I go to this supermarket, and drop a Barq’s in my cart, will I get a text message saying “Good morning. Dude, watch it, you’re Type 1!”

The end times are here to stay.

5 Likes

David Burke is not involved with 801.