NJ Food News

Yep. I like the Shoprite in Neptune. They actually have a much wider selection of “international/ethnic” foods than Wegmans. Also Lidl and Aldi for excellent German sauerkraut!!

1 Like

The Neptune Shoprite is my favorite too though I tend to go to the Wall/Manasquan one more often since it is closer.

Only if they’re licensed then it’s a .38 special lol

1 Like

I like Shop Rite in Neptune and went there for many years. But, Wegmans is near me and I prefer their meat and bakery. BTW Foodtown in Ocean is closing.

And that Shoprite has bialys too!!

1 Like

Yeah in my household those aren’t bialys, no onions in the center but we do doctor them as the “roll” is pretty good.

2 Likes

My Long Island MIL shops at Uncle Giuseppe’s. Everything I’ve tasted is delish!

2 Likes

A “peri peri” restaurant has opened in Manalapan on Rt. 9 North … Tribos Peri Peri. Appears to be a franchise of about 6 locations, most in NJ. I first became a fan of peri peri at a place in Washington DC called Nando’s. I don’t know much about the cuisine, but a Google search indicates it emanates from Portuguese and African roots. The menu is about 80% chicken with a smattering of other dishes and sides. Three of us ordered a platter of a whole roasted chicken with two large sides. You can get your chicken plain or sauced in a range of flavors from mild to very hot. We went with mild and it had a slight kick to it. Sides included peri peri fries (spiced with some type of dry rub) and rice (had a hint of a curry). All food is served with a bottle of white creamy garlic based sauce and a hotter red chili based sauce. The sauces are addictive. Also added hummus and pita, and mac and cheese bites. The food was all quite good and around $50 all in with some leftovers. At that price point, a nice alternative to the local pizzeria or takeout Chinese.

6 Likes

So how is it compared to Nando’s ?
I had Nando’s once also when I was in Manchester, England and enjoyed it quite a bit.
I am certainly looking forward to try Tribo’s especially if it is similar type of food to Nando’s.

2 Likes

Innnnnteresting. I’m flat out addicted to Mazi PiriPiri sauce and knew there was something about Portugal + Africa in the mix; I’m pretty sure it’s the name for the pepper itself and the spelling varies depending upon the country you’re in/from. All I know is it’s probably the hottest thing I eat while still genuinely enjoying it, so I’m betting I’d like the chicken!

1 Like

Been to Nando’s a few times over the years, but not in at least the past five. I’m not sure that its really as good as I remember, but I’ve held it in high regard and often suggest it to people visiting DC for something casual. I also recall the interior of Nando’s being a bit “nicer.” Tribos is more “strip mall” (which it is in fact in). My visit to Tribos was good, but not what I recall about Nando’s which was very good. That said, I only sampled some of the Tribos menu, so too early to render a final judgment.

2 Likes

I have a feeling that the Mazi sauce is a different breed from what Tribos puts out. The Tribos red sauce had a kick and worked well with the chicken, fries, rice, etc., but not likely in the same category as your stuff.

1 Like

Gas-saver tip: Tribos Peri Peri is in the same shopping center as the new Balkan Market.

4 Likes

Yes, Galleria shopping center. Have you been to the Balkan Market? Don’t know anything about it.

1 Like

Looks like the Cornucopia in Keyport is re-opening. A sign posted said “Coming Soon”. I am assuming it is the same business and not a new venture, as the exterior and original signage (probably from the 80’s, or earlier) is still there. I think they closed even before Covid. Not too much to miss from what I remember.

What ever happened to their dinner cruise? Didn’t that have that going for awhile out of Keyport?

Last I knew they were still operating dinner cruises out of Perth Amboy

1 Like

Just an fyi in case anyone has been experiencing some interesting side effects if they got aboard the hot honey train as of late

2 Likes

Probably posted somewhere but man am I happy
Samaha’s farm market woo hoo
Due to really restricted dietary issues I have not had tomatoes in 3 years.
Yesterday I discovered the above mentioned farm market.
Those NJ tomatoes are just the gift from heaven.
I don’t care to cook but since making fresh mozzarella & tomatoes & a combination of greens & provolone & then this AM an omelette I am in complete ecstasy.
Just thought I would share.
I know many of you patronize this place but wow I was blown away by something so simple.
Today I grill corn & make some Mexican corn

6 Likes

Yeah the neptune shoprite is amazing! I love the clearance deals too. Wegmans is awesome for a few things but everything else I go to Shoprite. Now I have a Shoprite, Stop and Shop, Lidl, Aldi and Costco all within a 5 minute drive so I’m a bit spoiled. :slight_smile:

1 Like