NJ Food News

No idea!!

It is. Shaken Shake is part of Kimchi Mama.

And they opened today! I had the hot-bop, spicy pork with vegetables over rice, which came with a cup of their kimchi. It was very good.

4 Likes

Long overdue………

2 Likes

Man did I used to have fun there. The bar scene on a Friday night in mid 80’s was amazing.
For awhile the food was pretty good too. Haven’t been here in at least 10 years.
If that bar could talk.

1 Like

Never thought it was very good!

VERY exciting news! Heirloom Kitchen is coming to AP! They’ll be operating all F&B at The Tides, which is under new ownership and undergoing renovations right now. I can see it from my place. This is both dangerous and wonderful for my waistline and wallet. :laughing:

8 Likes

I saw that too!!! I have a feeling I am going to be in big trouble.

3 Likes

This is possibly the best intel ever posted on this board.

1 Like

Yes the food in recent years, maybe decade, suffered. But Danny’s was always a fun time. I’m glad he is finally letting go.

When we moved to the area 25 years ago the steak at Danny’s was fantastic and he fed our family a few times. After old man hockey we would sometimes stop in for a refreshment or two and some late night bar eats. It is/was a Red Bank fixture and part of me will be sad when I drive by and know Danny is no longer living upstairs.

3 Likes

Evidently Guy Fieri is in NJ today. He’s visiting Chubby Pickle in Highlands today. And maybe an Indian place Haldi Chowk in Middletown. Has anyone been to either of these places?

Here’s the link to the article: https://wobm.com/guy-fieri-diners-drive-ins-and-dives-middletown-nj/?fbclid=IwAR0chqbRKYOUYKeNzDAMYzfAgKIZWZ4hES7tr1tSFWvsvaHV-B9XNIu39Xc

1 Like

Interesting. Yes, been to the CP for music, but not food… And Haldi Chowk has been around a long time too.

1 Like

The word about Heirloom Kitchen handling F&B in AP is officially out…

1 Like

I agree Tom. When I first moved to the area, around the same time as you, Danny’s was one of the “it” places. I spent many o’ nights there enjoying a cigar and a few cocktails and steak, eventually as the steaks were declining, his sushi made up for it so I continued.

Then Buona Sera opened and was cigar friendly, then Ashes and eventually Danny’s fell off the map. As I would stop in over the years, each time it got slightly “worse” and on my last couple of visits it was just “average” at best.

He did one of those restaurant rescue shows about decade ago and it really painted Danny in a negative light, the time has come for the torch to be passed.

Also Oyster Point use to be a great place around the same time. Friday night happy hour with live music outside was a great spot to hit. No idea why after all these years they never brought that back.

3 Likes

If you knew the bartender George, he’s my neighbor. Moonlighting high school teacher.

3 Likes

Haldi Chowk is our local go-to for Indian food when we don’t want to drive to Edison. In fact, we were there a few weeks ago for a birthday celebration.

3 Likes

Once the show airs on tv, it will probably be difficult to get a table! Get your meals in now!

2 Likes

Oyster Point was the best local spot on Friday nights during the mid 80’s through the 90’s
Those were some memorable times for us single folks
Who knew they had a Happy Hour?
The place was packed & it was so much fun.
I literally cried when it stopped.
Too old for that scene now but just typing this makes me smile. Thanks

2 Likes

Steve, honestly, I was new to the area, I moved here in 93’ so I caught the tail end of the Oyster Point run. (I was also married with young children, so it wasn’t the height of my partying days). I remember a work collogue bringing me there on a Friday night after work (probably why I assumed it was Happy Hour) and the place was jumping. Obviously with the view and patio it was awesome, I only made it there a handful of times due to the reasons stated above, I just can’t believe nobody every decided to replicate that.

4 Likes

It could never been replicated
The Columns in Avon was a seasonal substitute but man that Oyster Point was a legendary singles scene

2 Likes