NJ Food News

HMart

Want to make sure you’ve all noticed the blue notice at the top of the page. I didn’t know that CH was being taken down, but we can help HO by spreading the word to our respective local ‘media’ contacts and on social media.

1 Like

Replying to myself…finally took a look at what prompted the blue notice:

"After 25 incredible years of sharing culinary insights and mouth-watering recipes, we are saddened to inform you that Chowhound will be closing down on Monday, March 21, 2022.

This incredibly difficult decision is due to limitations in the capabilities and resources required to maintain the site on an ongoing basis. Rather than allowing the site experience to degrade, we have opted to close down the site."

I do see a few mentions of Hungry Onion on there, including the fact that many people migrated here a while ago (I’m definitely one of those! eGullet>CH>HO)

5 Likes

Figures, I just re-registered NopeStillNotJrvedivici @ Chow last week!!! Dammit!!

6 Likes

Was wondering why they shut down.

I guess they remembered you!! :grin:

7 Likes

There he is!! Hope all is well my friend, good to see you posting!

3 Likes

The comments on The NY Times article posted at the top of the board re: Chowhound’s closure include several folks mentioning HO as an alternative.

2 Likes

Half Moon is getting ready for a soft open in Keansburg later this week. I’ve been following their renos on IG, as one of the partners is Jennifer Lampert, who founded and is a former partner in the Asbury Festhalle & Biergarten in Asbury Park. While I don’t know her personally, I dealt with her on a couple of occasions through a community group, and she was very generous AND obviously a wise businesswoman!

The APP article says "Half Moon begins its soft opening March 19. The restaurant will be open from 4 p.m. to midnight Thursdays through Sundays by reservation, with extended hours and walk-in service beginning in early April. " Oh, and “the kitchen is led by Chef Joseph Erdely, formerly of The Frog & The Peach in New Brunswick.”

Looking forward to taking a ride up to check it out!

5 Likes

Several of us who are/were members of both boards (& some other boards as well), got quite a few of the CH folks to come over here as the “best fit”. Just about the entire group of CH Paris posters came over already (it was the best section of CH for years now) & a new board has been set up on HO for France/Paris. I think that’s happening in several other places on HO as well, mostly in the cooking areas where I have no interest :innocent: We may even have a NYC presence.

4 Likes

OMG. Did you all just hear me scream?!? Just saw this posted on IG:

Kimchi Mama Dalgona
Kimchi Mama is moving to Asbury Park! (The Fair Lawn location is now closed)
kimchimama.net

I know nothing about them, but I’ve been screaming for good Asian food in AP for 6.5 years!!

3 Likes

Main street coming along, now for some good Indian

1 Like

Hmmm did they change chefs? Emily Chapman was involved from the get go.

The space is looking great compared to what it was when we got a tour last summer.

1 Like

Don’t know, but I knew I didn’t remember a chef from F&P being involved.

I am beginning to understand the difference between the more limited offerings at MOGO and those to be served at Kimchi Mama. But did the one good new Asian restaurant coming to AP have to be Korean?

Yes, Emily Chapman is no longer involved.

Seems fitting as the death of Chowhound is announced so goes Dominic DiFara. RIP sir, 85 is a hell of a run and you made a mark on the NYC pizza scene. I’d have to say Chowhound really blew the place up in the early 90s, along with other corners of the food information world. Arthur Schwartz on WOR probably had a lot to do with it as well. :slight_smile:

I was fortunate to be a sales guy in the neighborhood so if I happened to drive by right when they were opening and there was no line I’d stop in and was lucky to be able to bs with Dom from time to time.
(I know this is NJ food news, but we have a bunch of ex-NYers here as well as people who likely made the trip)

8 Likes

He influenced many slice shops in NJ
Probably a top reason to visit family in Brooklyn

2 Likes

Absolutely. Such a treat to spend time at Di Faras and watch the master at work. Could never get over how he pulled screaming hot pies out of the oven with his bare hands.

3 Likes

Just read on our NextDoor board that someone called and they won’t be open until ‘maybe next week’ (in spite of the Grand Opening banner shown in the photo I saw). But I was browsing the full menu… scroll to the bottom (esp @Roro1831)!

Is the shaken shake crab part of the store in AP, it’s confusing.