NJ Food News

I have been going to Wegmans since it opened. I wasn’t happy when they eliminated their fresh food bars and counters but I have continued to do my weekly shopping there. On Wednesday the shortages were extreme. Five items I normally buy were not available! Many empty shelves.
So, yesterday I went to check out the new Wall Shop Rite. Totally amazing. No shortages there and lots of fresh food available.
How can this be? I guess I will be switching.

3 Likes

I have always found the local ShopRites to be very well run.

1 Like

Seems like it’s a combo of # of/size of stores, who they do business with, + staffing problems.
On the flip, my SR has been out of quarts of their brand of half and half on and off for months, yet Costco always has Land 'o Lakes brand in stock AND for $1 less. :woman_shrugging:

(Sidebar re: staffing - I know 2 people who would be willing to work in Wegmans except Wegmans isn’t flexible about scheduling, so…welcome to staffing problems!)

5 Likes

If there’s one thing these places owe workers it is a flexible schedule. Between the working conditions and dealing with the general public daily, they could at least work with people on scheduling.

The one thing keeping me at my current restaurant-ish job is that my boss works with me. It allows me to continue at the museum and do my lectures. With the outright rudeness we deal with daily (plus possible Covid exposure), I’d be gone, gone, gone if I did not have my schedule.

3 Likes

There you go! This guy wanted an early AM shift but Wegmans required nights and/or weekends. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Gov. Phil Murphy signed a bill into law on Tuesday that allows municipalities to designate outdoor areas where people can drink alcoholic beverages.

“Towns will now be allowed to designate the entire municipality or a section of it, such as a park or a few blocks of a downtown, as an “open container area” where people over 21 can carry and drink open containers of alcoholic beverages."

This is going to be interesting in AP and RB.

5 Likes

And, Ocean Grove.

2 Likes

The town may do it, but doesn’t have to.

I’m thinking summer is going to be a real challenge.

3 Likes

I guess I’ll just leave this here…

Best Italian Restaurants In Monmouth County, NJ (943thepoint.com)

1 Like

APP says Corrado’s is still coming…

https://www.app.com/story/money/business/main-street/whats-going-there/2021/12/08/corrados-market-brick-promises-open-after-supply-chain-delays/6416689001/

So they’re all in the southern part of the county? (The article didn’t even say where its additions are.)

To be perfectly honest I don’t give much credibility to the article which is why I “shared” it somewhat buried in this post. It’s there if anyone wants to check it out but I think it’s just patronizing their advertisers. (in my opinion)

1 Like

Has anyone been to Arugula in Spring Lake? I don’t recall having seen it mentioned in any discussions/reviews?

1 Like

Think it was only a matter of time until this place and me crossed paths. Tumi To Go Peruvian is located inside International Bites and will save me some trips to Don Pepe in Freehold. Appears they have a location in Elizabeth since 2009.
Pollo a la Brasa, Anticucho, and Tacu Tacu with steak.

11 Likes

Oooooh. That’s praise coming from you, so now I’m willing to give it a try!

1 Like

21A sounds interesting…

1 Like

I don’t have the best palate and generally don’t like to criticize/judge dishes unless it is really good or really bad…
This meal fell in the middle…
Chicken, Salad, Rice and Beans all good. Steak and Anticucho just OK, partly because I took too much time to stop at Total Wine for blizzard supplies after I picked up. If the chicken and aji is good, and GF likes it, it is a huge win for me as I do all the driving.

2 Likes

We’ve become fans of Peruvian food since we’ve eaten at Perusa on Rt 34 in Wall a couple of times. I have no idea how it “rates” to someone who knows the cuisine but we like it. Have you been there? If so, how does this place compare?