NJ Food News

I’m betting we’ll be seeing random “shortages” on various items, in various stores, for a while. I’m also guessing that different stores will have different inventory levels of the same products.

1 Like

My neighbor was at the Shrewsbury ShopRite yesterday and was told that the problem was that they did not get their regular delivery of chicken. I am concerned that we’re going to see people panicking and buying more than they need when the shipment finally comes in.

1 Like

Same at ShopRite in hazlet on Wednesday. Also oddly out of nearly all vegetable and canola oil but tons of olive oil.

1 Like

I was out at Hamilton Marketplace today, and noticed that the sign was up on one of the new buildings. Who knew Mission Barbeque was coming to NJ? It doesn’t look open yet, but there is stuff inside, so maybe it’s close!

Interesting, an old friend of mine was the GM over there, unfortunately I never made it over to see him. Wow hope they kept him, interesting to see what they do with the location.

I wonder when they closed, I see as of New Years Eve they were open.

ETA - just read the APP article, they closed for “re-branding” - who wants to bet it comes back as a steak-oriented place?

1 Like

I was in the Marlboro Aldi, and they were out of a lot of refrigerated/frozen items. The cashier said they had had a power failure and had to throw out a lot of stock, and getting resupplied was taking some time. So they had large prepared pizzas, but not regular size, to give one example.

1 Like

Drove by that Hamilton location last week and noticed the same. Pretty sure there’s a location in or near Marlton. I’ve never heard of Mission BBQ, should I?

A couple of AP musician pals had regular gigs playing outside at 100 Ocean, but there were never more than a couple of tables of people in total between in/outdoors any time I went. And two…? three? years ago I had one dinner there during Restaurant Week.

1 Like

Didn’t know where else to put it and didn’t want to open mew thread if it’s a ghost, but has anyone tried the new Jacks in FH? Would be nice to have another nice family spot locally that also sells booze! Curious to see everyone’s thoughts

Keyport…the food establishments are growing. Still a walking village, free parking…and a growing restaurant scene according to their Mayor’s FB posts.

The brewery, another Italian place and a chicken shack…the gelato and bakery (with the owners mom making soups), a new Mexican eatery…just walking around I noted new faces/new places. Several non food biz as well.

My section of Holmdel is suburbia. NOT a walking town. Keyport’s a gem.

4 Likes

Not to mention the OG Drew’s :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Absolutely. Just giving some elbow room to places that need the love.

2 Likes

Haven’t tried it yet but it’s BYO and takeout only for now. Unless the owner of Nauvoo/Raven wants to sell one of his licenses it will always be BYO. Raven formal restaurant is still closed but they do sell alcohol in the tea room which is open. I can’t even imagine what price you could put on one of those licenses given the scarcity

3 Likes

Re Keyport Mexican: We like Los Corrales, but their accessibility issues are a problem (stairs to get in, stairs with no handrail to get down to dining area). El Tropico is too cold in the winter. So what is this new place?

Tropico-hasn’t opened yet.

The others-
Rocco’s Pizza of Keyport
Chickee
Gourmet Italian Delights
3BR Distillery

Which is the new Mexican eatery?

Is Tropico pictured at the location above not new to you? It is not opened yet. Please clue me in.

Okay, I just took a quick look and thought “El Tropico” on Broad Street. Is this the same Tropico in a new location, or a different Tropico, or what?

Def a different location. A menu is taped to the window but they are still not opened yet.

I thought I had seen a post about 21A, but a search isn’t coming up with anything… In any case, I thought this might be of interest. If you’re not familiar with IG, ou can swipe through to see the various photos.

2 Likes