NJ Food News

I used the lemon tofu square included in this macro meal in a breakfast salad and ignored the few bits included on the tray. Scrambled some eggs to go with. I hate wasting food. Nothing to share beyond that.

3 Likes

Ironically the meatloaf at the location by me back in like 92-94 was fantastic, we used ot get the family meal with a meatloaf and sides and it was quite good from what I remember, but the quality did tank. Usually what happens when private equity shops take over, I can start a whole thread on how great dunking donuts was in the 80s compared to the dump it was now; I fondly remember going for lunch with my mom and having soup, tuna on a croissant, and a delicious fresh muffin…not quite today…
You’re correct @NotJrvedivici about the lines, on a Fri or Sat night the line would be 20-30 deep in store. We found out you could call ahead for your order and walk right past the line somehow, which was awesome.
Other than Chipotle there really is no “healthier” option for fast food by us, the Panera in Shrewsbury is the single worst one I’ve ever been to, and I’ve been to a ton. From expired cream cheeses 7 times in a row to completely missing orders I can’t stand it (yet another place that went to sh*t when PE took over). A rebounding Boston Market would be a welcome respite!

2 Likes

I can’t believe you nailed that!! That Panera sucks, I asked for a cup of ice one time and when they gave it to me the ice had black marks on it. I showed it to the manager and he went to the rolling ice cooler they kept the ice in, and it was full of mold. When I was leaving they had it in the parking lot scrubbing and hosing it out. Ridiculous and disgusting.

4 Likes

Wow!

I gotta say I like the new disgusting turn this thread is taking! I was just lurking and reading before but …

At my first job as fry cook at McDonalds one of my secondary duties was cleaning up at night so we could close up. My first Saturday night shift after the boss locked the doors he called me into the back. I was only 16 and I was scared as I slowly crept through the dark restaurant.

I didn’t see him, but the light was on in the walk-in. It was only a single bare bulb hanging from the ceiling in there and as the bulb swung the shadows flickered meanacingly. I let out a small squeek as I opened the big steel door wide and

2 Likes

:scream::scream::scream:

1 Like

Collin’s Pub in Morris Plains is closing… I spent more than a few nights there in my 20s; great spot.

2 Likes

I liked it better than Arthur’s. :pensive:

1 Like

Oh, I spent plenty of time at Arthur’s, too… :rofl:

1 Like

Ok I only went to that location once about a year ago but I’m done now. I have mold stories but they are too terrible to relate. Here’s a tip always check your faucets/shower heads you would be surprised.

They didn’t ask but I provided detailed feedback today. The owner appreciated the communication and is shipping a replacement box. I didn’t ask for one. I’ll report back on what arrives.

2 Likes

Ok, 6 meals plus one steak were delivered overnight. Identical menu.

This time the meals arrived frozen, vacuum sealed and had a printed company label with reheating instructions, nutritional info and the menu item clearly printed, wrapped around the portioned meals. Since they arrived frozen, I placed them in my freezer to use next week.

They also included $5.00 off coupons for future orders and a note of apology for the haphazard first order.

They did stand by their guarantee. I couldn’t tell if the portion or taste will improve but I plan to end here on this experience.

6 Likes

Had my first legal drink there. Also was my first time taking flaming Sambuca shots. Wish someone would have told me to blow out the flame before shooting it!

4 Likes

I remember doing my first (and subsequently last) flaming Sambuca shot without blowing it out. Unlike you I cannot blame naiveté but rather stupidity, a specialty of mine. Thinking I was being cool I did my shot, full flame which of course I couldn’t bring fully to my mouth because of my facial hair, so I attempted to pour it down my throat which resulted in the vast majority of the shot to pour down my chin and onto my shirt. What I thought were reverse congratulatory pat’s on the back for a job well done, was actually everyone around me attempting to slap out the fire which had blazed on my shirt and melted my silk tie to a few loose twines which held it together.

Additionally and more ironic was the flame actually burned off the center portion of my mustache which left me with what could only be described as the “reverse Hitler” look. (I apologize for the reference folk’s but it’s honestly the best way I could describe what happened to me).

Needless to say I have never attempted this again. Sadly, this probably doesn’t even rank in the top 10 of the stupidest things I’ve done that involves alcohol.

10 Likes

Anyone else read @NotJrvedivici stories and realize what a completely boring life they’ve led? :joy: :joy:

7 Likes

This could very well be my tombstone.

11 Likes

Yes, mine also lit my albeit hairless face on fire a bit. Flaming droplets melting the vinyl bar arm pad.

2 Likes

My coworker purchased her house just because it was down the street from Collins.

1 Like

And one of the reasons I spent so much time there (sep of having grown up in the area) was that good friends of mine had their first house just down the street! It was awesome being able to walk to their house after a night there/at Arthur’s!

Lit a tablecloth on fire with one at Positano in the city prior to going next door to Cafe Iguana. Ah I miss the 80’s!

1 Like

I’m pretty sure this qualifies as news, but if it isn’t, SHHHH… it’s @seal’s birthday today! Here’s to a GATHERING and toasts and chocolaty desserts!!

:birthday:

6 Likes