NJ Food News

If you do like / appreciate the restaurant as you indicate I would give them a call to just give them a heads up. In many instances these things can be out of the restaurants control. If they are in mutli tenant buildings (strip malls) with other food related business’s these insects will infest a building if just one tenant has a problem.

Also regardless of how on top of things you are at your location (I have exterminators come in monthly) every delivery (especially produce) has some smuggled in there and you are vulnerable. If you’ve been going for years and this is the only incident, I would give them a courtesy call, give it some time and I would try them again. (you might want to get your place treated as well, he could have had a friend(s) with him.

(ETA also their reaction will be a good tell tale sign as to their management style. If they deny it, blame you etc. then maybe I wouldn’t go back. If they are understanding, apologetic and/or say they will address it immediately etc. then I would be more willing to return.)

9 Likes

That’s disappointing. We got takeout (pre-covid) from a place that we went to a lot and found a 2 inch piece of metal in the rice. I was glad that ended up on my plate and not in any of our mouths. We haven’t been back.

2 Likes

We went to the new Wine Outlet yesterday afternoon. Very nice store. Nice wide aisles, interesting offerings, helpful staff. We are just about equidistant from the 3 closest Wine Outlet locations but will probably make the Route 35 store our regular one going forward.

3 Likes
1 Like

I keep begging them to come down to Central NJ, but… SIGH.

1 Like

Artichoke Basille’s, the famous pizza place from NY, is opening a location in Red Bank.

4 Likes

you beat me too it. The fam has a location of regular Basiles in Middletown in plaza with Florentinos, J & M, Bottle King, and Neelam as well.

Looking forward to this, can always use great pizza; although I wonder what pricing will be, the NYC spots area bit $$$

1 Like

Just reminded me, and not sure if was talked about here. but I saw on Pinellos insta that Best Pizza is opening a place in the boondoggle by the swamp, American Dream. This will probably be the thing that makes me go there.

Someone posted on our NextDoor board that DelPonte’s (of Bradley Beach) is building a “DelPonte’s Bakery and Gelato” business. It’s on Route 537 East, not far from CentraState.

1 Like

On Facebook, they say they’re in the final stage of construction but don’t yet have an opening date.

Edited to add: They’re taking over the space that was Applegate Farm Ice Cream (in front of Walmart).

1 Like
2 Likes

This is great, but don’t bill it as an AP article and throw in a bunch of places that are MILES outside of the city.

1 Like

He explained why he stopped at La Valentina, in Long Long Branch. Aside from that, which other places he visited are “MILES outside the city”? (I’m not very familiar with A.P.)

Max’s and the Windmill are both in Long Branch. He acknowledges that, but 48 Wondrous, Food-Filled Hours in Off-Season Asbury Park could have stuck to AP only! Where is Speakeatery? Ada’s? Medusa? Sami’s Mediterranean? Cookman Creamery? If we didn’t have more great options I’d understand, but including two (yawn) hot dog places just doesn’t make sense to me. /rant

Looks to me like he enjoys a good wiener! God knows I’ve had more than my share of Windmill’s over the years, funny though, they always taste better at the Long Branch location. I won’t even bother with Red Bank. Personally I’ve never been a fan of Max’s they just over cook them, they taste like shoe leather to me.

2 Likes

I’m honestly not passing judgement on the places he visited; just don’t tell me you’re eating in AP for 48 hours and have 2 places out of town! //rant :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It’s possible he shouldn’t be blamed since sometimes writers turn in articles, and someone else writes the headlines. In any case, considering the content, the headline should more accurately have been, “…Off-Season at the Jersey Shore.”

So many restaurants in AP. It really wasn’t necessary to extend article to LB. Especially considering that
many restaurant of note could of really used the “mention”.

2 Likes

For all our Monmouth county HOs.

Do you know anyone who is looking to sell their food products ( made offsite ) for the holidays? No kitchen but a great, cheap retail space on Broad St in Red Bank. pm me for details.

2 Likes

True story: I lived in Madison in the mid-90s and worked in Chatham in the late 2000s for almost a decade. There is very little INTERESTING food in that part of NNJ. But now this?!? I would have killed for this when I was up there. Hell, I might kill for it near AP, but that’s another story…

3 Likes