NJ Food News

Let’s get some Indian food in AP before some hot chicken lol

1 Like

That looks like it’s right up my alley. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

We should pool our resources and send one of us on a hot chicken pickup run!

1 Like

ThisiswhatI’msaying.

You just made Rob Ubhaus sad.

Is he back??? He was one of the few bright spots in that area when I was up there!

Nah…he’s out in Colorado somewhere. We were sorry to see him go.

1 Like
1 Like

Hadn’t had a chance to post about this yet, so thanks for putting it up, Eli! Many of you know that I’m a big fan of Reyla and I love the way this hospitality group runs in general… This is a perfect example of why. They’re being completely transparent and I think it took great courage to do so.

3 Likes

Nettie’s House of spaghetti also closed last week, a customer that had sat at the bar was diagnosed and let them know and they announced they were closing. I thought the handled that well, and have since reopened.

I am kicking myself for not taking advantage of the outdoor dining there except for the last day for it.
Fantastic drinks and their roasted eggplant parm was great, so good I have been making it once or twice a week

1 Like

I agree. Not everyone is so honest.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s a thoughtful, proper way to handle such a disclosure! Kudos to them for doing the right things, and being transparent about the steps they are taking to mitigate things to keep eveyrone safe.

2 Likes

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed, but the last couple days driving around, I have seen restaurant parking lots brimming to the point that there is no way they are seating at 25% capacity indoors (and there has been no outdoor dining to speak of due to the weather the last few days).

I think these places are sensing a full shut down coming and are trying to get as much business as possible. I’m not sure how much the fine for breaking capacity limits is offhand, but it may be worth it to try to squeeze in as many people as they can and risk the fine if it does not outweigh the business. And if no one reports them, all the better for the restaurant.

I just see things getting ugly soon. Numbers are skyrocketing and the temperatures are dropping. Some restaurants have the financial means to invest in heating systems to keep outdoor dining going. Some have the space for large tents. But unfortunately, the day of reckoning may soon be upon a lot of the small businesses we know and love.

6 Likes

Completely agree, Greg. I’ve also now seen a couple of places posting that they are closing either out of concern for the safety of their staff and customers, or because someone on their staff has had a possible exposure. This is where we are…

3 Likes

Completely agree as well, we were in Sea Girt yesterday and stopped by The Turning Point for breakfast. We sat outside in the sun and I would be willing to bet that the inside was a little over 60%

2 Likes

We were just talking about that as well. Too many places have full parking lots and no one outside. They have to have be serving more than 25% of normal capacity. I get it - I’ve been in the business and know how hard it is to make it through the winter in a shore town. But I probably won’t be doing pick up from them. Mr Bean is in the medical field and the 2 hospitals he covers are starting to get slammed due in large part to this type behavior.

I personally don’t think there will be a total shut down (we’ve doing take out since 3/25) and will continue to do take out. I’d prefer to support those business that are doing the right thing based on my definition of following the “rules”. Who knows what other rules they may be breaking.

2 Likes

Drew’s seems to be adhering to the 25% limit. Last night they had about 5 or 6 tables indoors nicely spaced. However, there was a 90 minute dining limit which was a little rushed but understandable under the circumstances.

3 Likes

Completely agree. We have been noticing the same. I get people are tired of the covid thing but that doesn’t mean it just disappeared. We are debating keeping the kiddo home from school for 1-2 weeks after Thanksgiving. If any of us get it or passes it on to my mom or in-laws, it could be an enormous problem.

2 Likes

I went to a popular restaurant for indoor dining and it was packed. However what they did was partition their dining room in half, and packed the half they were using. I assume doing the math perhaps they were only seating 25-30% (minus common area, bar, kitchen etc) of their total sq ft, however cramming everyone together for the appearance of a full house didn’t sit well with me. Unfortunately I was an invited guest and didn’t want to complain so I dealt with it but didn’t feel very protected. (I later learned the place had a break out with 19 employees getting sick and they only said 1 employee to the public. I can not verify this personally which is why I’m not naming the place, but I will never go back although I’ve enjoyed several meals there)

3 Likes

Restaurateurs and their employees are not the types that would do well in restricting diners, and therefore their incomes. They are conditioned to squeeze as many people in as possible and to maximize covers. Unfortunately greed steps in and sways decisions, especially as the weather gets colder. I suspect not many of them have the will to switch back to takeout mode. The next 6 weeks are also traditionally the busiest weeks of the year for restaurants.
The whole thing sucks.

3 Likes