NJ Food News

Yeah I would concur, Pop’s seems to be the red herring of the group. I’m also not familiar with Frank’s, other wise the list looks pretty solid to me.

The tater tots at pops are the only draw for me.
Frank’s we visit about once a week for a late breakfast or early lunch

It looks to me like it’s more of a “decent places to try” than a “best of” list. IMO Asbury Park really doesn’t have many “destination worthy” establishments, with Franks, Porta / Talula, and possibly Mogo being the only standouts in town (not basing on my opinion but general sentiment). As they state in the writeup, the AP dining scene is a bunch of places with “basically all the necessary buzzwords”. But there’s nothing really iconic beyond the few establishments mentioned above. Just about everything else is new American hipster gastropub fare now.

@NotJrvedivici Franks is legit, it’s the only diner type place I know in the area that makes most of their meat as well as their bread. Personally if I had to get rid of every restaurant in AP save 1 or 2 places, it would be this place and Bond St.

Frank’s pastrami game isn’t particularly strong for my preference (never fatty enough) but try their roast beef club on rye, it’s perfection.

2 Likes

Is that the place with the basement bar? If so it’s a cool bar, I’ve been twice and although I don’t really “fit in” with the crowd I still enjoyed it there. (way too “hipster” for an old school dude like me)

I’m truly stunned that you don’t know Franks’s! It’s an institution! Bourdain went there on his NJ episode, but it’s been around for…60 years? They cook their own turkey, make their own bread and soupr, and their subs are excellent. It’s the restaurant equivalent of a fantastic (cash only) dive bar!

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s the place. I’m talking strictly about the food at Bond St. proper. It’s nothing spectacular, just honest bar food at a good price. Something you unfortunately don’t see in AP any more.

I remember it wasn’t too long ago that I’d pop into Paradise on Mondays for free nacho bar and 1$ drinks. I went with a few friends last week and it was “all night happy hour” - and a vodka club in a tiny plastic cup was 9 bucks. I guess that’s the price of success.

2 Likes

Bond Street bar is the original part of the new bond street complex which consists of Loteria, a Mexican joint, Capitol one the somewhat Italian restaurant, and the basement bar.
Bond Street bar is small and an actual no frills bar with really good bar food, especially the party melt.
They proudly do not serve fireball and when Mike is bartending, who also dj’d my wedding, the music there is fantastic.

2 Likes

A 9 dollar drink in a plastic cup is a bargain compared to some places, 12 bucks is the going rate at the Anchors Bend and 20 for a double and the double cup size changes during the course of the night

2 Likes

Anchors Bend is another old favorite casualty for me. Used to be one of the chillest spots in town, now it’s overrun with tourists and retarded expensive drinks.

1 Like

@NotJrvedivici
@joonjoon

I think Bond Street is The Sprout’s favorite bar in Asbury or any where. I’ve never been there but might make her take me one of these days.

2 Likes

Sounds like a Ho’down to me!!

2 Likes

Sounds good to me. The Sprout was at my very first Ho’Down and I’m sure she’d be into it.

2 Likes

We just had dinner at West lake and I said to my husband how fun that HO was! My +1 to that event has also insisted on a future invite!

3 Likes

Also the price of SUMMER…

It looks like acclaimed chef Mike Carrino from the recently closed Pig & Prince is getting set to open Mike’s Pasta and sandwich Shoppe in Nutley, NJ. That’s an odd and disappointing choice for such a talented chef.

"Mike Carrino who recently closed his critically acclaimed restaurant Pig & Prince in Montclair, is set to open a pasta and sandwich shop in Nutley. The official opening date is Sept. 5; the grand opening will be at least one and half months later.
His business partner, Mike Cosenza, was sous chef at Pig & Prince.

“We will be offering fresh pasta, frozen pasta, dried pasta, stuffed pasta, pasta sauces, bone broth, soups,” said Carrino, a Food Network “Chopped” champion. “Also we will have a full deli which will include fresh mozzarella, chicken cutlets, eggplant, prepared salads, composed salads, and all the expected accouterments to a delicatessen.”

Go: 94 Harrison St., Nutley .mikespastasandwichshoppe.com

1 Like

I saw this on his Instagram acct about 10 days ago when he secured permits. I’m sure it’s a lot less stressful to run a deli/catering (?) spot vs a restaurant with all of that staff and other overhead–but who knows? I don’t know him personally, but the few times I was at the P&P I found the service lacking and the prices too high. Maybe he can make a better go with a smaller business.

2 Likes

Hopefully it’ll be good! I’d love to try some of those soups.

1 Like

I’m sure those bone broth soups and homemade pastas will be delicious. It’s just such a disappointment and waste of talent. However, I can see @CurlzNJ point of view about it being a lot less stressful.

Unfortunately Italian American seems to be bulletproof as far as demand goes. I personally love that sort of food but lord knows we have enough options there. Now perhaps one can argue there’s not too many well executed spots, but I can see why one would be drawn to this genre from an owners perspective.

1 Like

Eli, it looks like one or two of these might be calling your name.

The 90.00 lamb shoulder has me baffled. That is steep.