New Year's recipe

Your comment sent me down the Internet rabbit hole where I found this Serious Eats article about traditional good luck foods for the New Year. Enjoyable read.

I grew up in the Pittsburgh area, and pork and sauerkraut is the big deal meal for New Year’s. Lots of the folks there would claim it as a heritage dish eaten for good luck.

I did not care for the pork part, so I’d pile my plate with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. Now I’m getting hungry just thinking about that combo.

1 Like

Yes, pork and kraut is the thing in PA. I like the combo (it’s very German), but have never made it for NYE.

2 Likes

Nothing ‘surprising’ about it Eierlikör is really close to Egg Nog (homemade not the crap at the store), Rompope, Advocaat Etc…and they are all delicious!

Wow just realized that post was a year old! :laughing:

1 Like

Really? I find Eierlikör to be not as thick as most eggnogs, but then it’s probably been a million years since I’ve had any. I found it more appealing as a kid than an adult, as I am not big on sweet drinks.

I do remember a popular flip with Eierlikör and OJ, but don’t recall any special name for it.

Most Berliner are filled with jam, so the Bonner version with Eierlikör is unusual.

1 Like

The Stuff that is commercially produced is very thick.
There are Recipes that call for cooking the Egg and Milk into a Custard or adding Heavy Cream. Or a million other Variations.
Traditionally Milk, Sugar, Cognac, Rum and Egg are shaken thoroughly till foamy and topped with a bit of Nutmeg.
I do not know when it switched to that viscous Crap, but it must have started after the Edwardian Era.
I imagine even more modern than that.

I am thinking sour cherry soup… which is a summer dish in Hungary and Austria but we like it at NYE.

Beef Wellington. I bought the tenderloin today but I got my days mixed up. Maybe I should have waited until Saturday to buy it

I will make either black eyed peas or lentils for good luck. Have not figured out the rest!

1 Like