New Year's recipe

I meant no offense. Granted, I have not spent a great deal of time in England but those were my observations. You have to admit that the English are not known for their cuisine. And frankly I find the idea of an Irishman running a French bistro somewhat offensive.

1 Like

I always appreciate your comments! I think you are among my “most liked” last year. :grin:

I mean no disrespect to you, nor to “English” food, but I am curious about what you make of the idea of every culture having food traditions for New Years., but "Not in England ". Searching England as a country, rather than a culture, it was the only country I searched for which I could not find a New Years food tradition. I’m not saying that a food culture is defined by its New Years traditions, but that surprised me! Why would that be? I’d love to hear from @Harters and others as well. Last night son talked about the trials and tribulations of food agriculture there.

I had been reticent to visit England for years, because a big part of my travel is for food, and then I came to realize food in England could mean the food and culture of all of the colonies.

I went, I loved it, but most of what I ate was not “English”, as in specific to the culture of England. Like most of what I eat here in the US, and would not classify as “American”.

1 Like

I loved visiting the Tower of London and ate Indian food at two different restaurants in one week, had great fish n chips. All before the internet … it’d be easier to find great places to eat next time.

1 Like

No lack of culture, that’s for sure! And I had many good “English” things to eat.

2 Likes

I think my arts undergrad, heavy on the postmodernists, influenced how I look at food and culture, especially classifying foods by nationality. I will say also have some strong opinions about nationalism and culture. And food of course.

To me, the food of the colonies, the ingredients of the colonies (many used for hundreds of years) and the traditional foods and preparations associated with England, Great Britain, the UK and the Channel Islands make up what I consider British food.

I see the heading of British food including all the hybrids like Tikka Masala, Cornish pasties filled with curry or traditional meat and beef, jacket potatoes topped with tuna mayo and corn.

Then there are many subsets under British food.

I look at American food in a similar way. I got into a disagreement last summer over pizza being an American food. To me, it is. I won’t go down that path. Pizza can be English or Japanese, too. We can share these foods. I don’t like nationalizing them.

Our foods reflect who we are. Immigrants, from places that no longer have borders, or immigrants who were minorities who had to leave and brought food traditions with them. Immigrants making do with what is available in their new home (like that Korean carrot salad from Russia/Central Asia).

Apparently there isn’t a specific food tradition for NYE or NYD in England, in the way there is for the South, Italy, Germany,. I guess there isn’t. Harters knows more about this than me, of course.

My family has celebrated NYE with an expat from Yorkshire for close to 50 years. The food varies every New Year, but it’s also a week after we usually had shared Beef Wellington/Roast Turkey, Cauliflower Cheese, Brussels Sprouts, Xmas pudding, and candied oranges at Xmas with this family .

Maybe the reason many or all English- English people don’t have as much of a NYE/ NYD food is that they had so many traditional English foods the week before . :slightly_smiling_face:

The main Canadian NYE food I can think of is Tourtière for many French Canadians. Tourtière is also Christmas Eve food for French Canadians, and in general, these days, Tourtière is eaten year-round by many families.

1 Like

He’s a very good chef.

Ahhh!

I’m still looking for some sort of English NYD recipe :slight_smile:

I haven’t made a Scottish Steak Pie yet, maybe next year!

Good lord, why? That’s taking the policing of “cultural appropriation” in a pretty extreme direction, it seems to me.

1 Like

His comment is likely in response to me saying his earlier comment was offensive.

I’ve become a huge fan of sticky toffee pudding and treacle pudding over the past decade.

Also neat to see Scotch eggs are likely (or possibly) derived from Indian meat-covered eggs, Nargisi Kofta

1 Like

Tongue in cheek…

It is indeed. Being offended by comments about food and cuisine seems to be rather silly.

Oh, phew.

Sticky toffee pudding (and poutine) are probably my son’s favorite foods and his wife makes them every year for his birthday.

1 Like

I’m making collards today. I don’t know if I will be up to it next week.

Anyone else thinking of New Year’s food traditions yet?

4 Likes

I just took a container of black eyed peas, ham hock and collards out of the freezer for New Years day. I must have black eyed peas.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

I actually bought both Rancho Gordo’s Lucky Black Eyed Peas and Anson Mills Red Sea Peas. But, BF has a colonoscopy on Jan. 4, so he can’t have anything other than low res diet and, eventually, broth. So, I’ve decided that I’m going to poach a chicken and we’ll have broth, soft veg, rice, and chicken until the procedure. Happy New Year!

3 Likes

In childhood, a traditional New Year’s meal was pork and kraut. I still cook that in the oven, low and slow in a Le Creuset Dutch oven after browning garlicky Polish sausage our local butcher makes this time of year. Sometimes if we have company, I’ll brown some country style pork ribs and use a larger pot. I put thick wedges of unpeeled apples, quartered onions, sauerkraut and baby potatoes in there with some herbs and either beer or white wine. We eat it with dark bread and coarse grained mustard. I grew up in central Ohio and think this might be tied to the Pennsylvania Dutch traditions my parents had.

4 Likes