New Year's recipe

Yep, as far as I’m aware, United Kingdom is interchangeable with Great Britain.

Great Britain is the island. The UK is the “United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland”. It’s a mega important distinction, not least for the Unionist community in Northern Ireland.

3 Likes

I could make the same mistake. Thank you for the correction.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification, Harters.
I only use the term UK. I would have mistakenly included Northern Ireland in Great Britain.

Whatever happened to England? I suppose I could google, but I like your concise replies.
On topic, I always include black eyed peas, for luck.

1 Like

Cilantro on the side; son is not a fan of cilantro.
I have a perfectly ripe avocado, but no crema. Husband is not a fan of avocado.

Here is the pigeon peas and coconut rice.

Pork loin still in the oven. I hope it is edible. I am not a fan of lean meat, but I dry brined it. Fingers crossed.

ETA I included here. Not bad, if I may say so myself.

I planned to make kale as the greens, but looks like I am going with cilantro.

6 Likes

Lucky lentils, stuffed mushrooms (round food) and veal braciole (with lucky bacon inside)

5 Likes

Never mind, a couple of hours later it dawned on me that of course there is still an England. I blame a senior moment.

1 Like

Traditional spoon bread, fried pork chops, Mac and cheese, collards and black eyed peas. Onions and chow chow were added.

5 Likes

We have pork and kraut. This year I wasn’t feeling up to cooking and DH did the honors. I let him do it his way, which was not as good as my way but he was happy with it so that’s what matters. I’m still brushing my teeth…I always rinse and drain the kraut and add white wine. That was not in his repertoire. Nor was there chopped parsley or apples in it. I might let him finish the leftovers by himself.

2 Likes

Could you add apples, parsley and wine to your leftovers? I corrected my braised cabbage today.

2 Likes

I like what you’ve done with this dish.

1 Like

I’m planning on making a variety of dishes, including a roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, green beans, and a cranberry sauce. For dessert, I’m making a chocolate cake and a batch of sugar cookies.

For NYE 2023?

2 Likes

There’s also Lunar New Year and Nowruz coming up. :smiley:. I start fresh as often as I can. Although I won’t be eating turkey
again until Canadian Thanksgiving.

I didn’t even known Bots celebrated New Year’s Eve & New Year’s Day!

5 Likes

I rather think that the Northern Irish might think otherwise.

For that matter, it is rather unfair to lump the Scots, whose cuisine is excellent, in with the English.

1 Like

The English and Scots, as well as the Welsh and Northern Irish, have excellent cuisine if you know where to eat.

I’ve eaten very well in England, Wales and Scotland.

I haven’t visited Northern Ireland yet. A French Bistro I visit frequently in Canada is run by a chef who immigrated from Belfast.

My experience with pre-EU English food was not inspiring. After they joined the EU it got much better. I have no idea whether that survived Brexit.

You haven’t spent nearly enough time in England if you’re going to come to that conclusion.

It’s downright offensive.