New Year's recipe

Ahhh!

I’m still looking for some sort of English NYD recipe :slight_smile:

I haven’t made a Scottish Steak Pie yet, maybe next year!

Good lord, why? That’s taking the policing of “cultural appropriation” in a pretty extreme direction, it seems to me.

1 Like

His comment is likely in response to me saying his earlier comment was offensive.

I’ve become a huge fan of sticky toffee pudding and treacle pudding over the past decade.

Also neat to see Scotch eggs are likely (or possibly) derived from Indian meat-covered eggs, Nargisi Kofta

1 Like

Tongue in cheek…

It is indeed. Being offended by comments about food and cuisine seems to be rather silly.

Oh, phew.

Sticky toffee pudding (and poutine) are probably my son’s favorite foods and his wife makes them every year for his birthday.

1 Like

I’m making collards today. I don’t know if I will be up to it next week.

Anyone else thinking of New Year’s food traditions yet?

4 Likes

I just took a container of black eyed peas, ham hock and collards out of the freezer for New Years day. I must have black eyed peas.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

I actually bought both Rancho Gordo’s Lucky Black Eyed Peas and Anson Mills Red Sea Peas. But, BF has a colonoscopy on Jan. 4, so he can’t have anything other than low res diet and, eventually, broth. So, I’ve decided that I’m going to poach a chicken and we’ll have broth, soft veg, rice, and chicken until the procedure. Happy New Year!

3 Likes

In childhood, a traditional New Year’s meal was pork and kraut. I still cook that in the oven, low and slow in a Le Creuset Dutch oven after browning garlicky Polish sausage our local butcher makes this time of year. Sometimes if we have company, I’ll brown some country style pork ribs and use a larger pot. I put thick wedges of unpeeled apples, quartered onions, sauerkraut and baby potatoes in there with some herbs and either beer or white wine. We eat it with dark bread and coarse grained mustard. I grew up in central Ohio and think this might be tied to the Pennsylvania Dutch traditions my parents had.

4 Likes

Your comment sent me down the Internet rabbit hole where I found this Serious Eats article about traditional good luck foods for the New Year. Enjoyable read.

I grew up in the Pittsburgh area, and pork and sauerkraut is the big deal meal for New Year’s. Lots of the folks there would claim it as a heritage dish eaten for good luck.

I did not care for the pork part, so I’d pile my plate with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. Now I’m getting hungry just thinking about that combo.

1 Like

Yes, pork and kraut is the thing in PA. I like the combo (it’s very German), but have never made it for NYE.

2 Likes

Nothing ‘surprising’ about it Eierlikör is really close to Egg Nog (homemade not the crap at the store), Rompope, Advocaat Etc…and they are all delicious!

Wow just realized that post was a year old! :laughing:

1 Like

Really? I find Eierlikör to be not as thick as most eggnogs, but then it’s probably been a million years since I’ve had any. I found it more appealing as a kid than an adult, as I am not big on sweet drinks.

I do remember a popular flip with Eierlikör and OJ, but don’t recall any special name for it.

Most Berliner are filled with jam, so the Bonner version with Eierlikör is unusual.

1 Like

The Stuff that is commercially produced is very thick.
There are Recipes that call for cooking the Egg and Milk into a Custard or adding Heavy Cream. Or a million other Variations.
Traditionally Milk, Sugar, Cognac, Rum and Egg are shaken thoroughly till foamy and topped with a bit of Nutmeg.
I do not know when it switched to that viscous Crap, but it must have started after the Edwardian Era.
I imagine even more modern than that.

I am thinking sour cherry soup… which is a summer dish in Hungary and Austria but we like it at NYE.

Beef Wellington. I bought the tenderloin today but I got my days mixed up. Maybe I should have waited until Saturday to buy it

I will make either black eyed peas or lentils for good luck. Have not figured out the rest!

1 Like