New Jersey Hot Dogs

My house.

I have the recipe for the original meat sauce.

I got it from the grandmother of a Greek girlfriend from my younger days whose family used to own a Coney operation in Detroit.

Discretion prevents me from saying which.

Go Spartans !!!

A Wolverine is just a large rat on crack !

1 Like

Iā€™ll have to try bundaberg.

Fyi, food town has Schickhaus on sale for 7.99.

I had one todayā€¦good dogs. Itā€™s still still good dog weather out there. Iā€™ve got my freaking ac on in October. Sigh

1 Like

I just saw a commercial for sonic. Wednesday the 6th is dollar dog day. I have only had two dogs from there and they were just ok. For a dollar they probably taste better lol

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Beach House Pier Village Now Open (old Sawa) Long Branch NJ

According to a post on the Atl Highlands fb page Danā€™s wife and daughter will not be carrying on the tradition any longer. :frowning: I wish them well, they were always very sweet.

The spot went out to bid twice and they received 0 bids. Anyone looking for a career change??

1 Like

Damnā€¦sad to hear that.

Can you pm me what they are asking for it?

3 Likes

Off-hand I cannot remember the price, but it was reasonable. I heard from someone in town. They told me when I was bitching about my job and said, ā€œWanna sell hot dogs?ā€ :smiley:

Iā€™m assuming based on the conversation this was a concession on township land?

Yes it is right near the Marina. Itā€™s about 50 yards past your breakfast cafe spot.

Btw, that cafe has some good breakfast. I might try to tackle that meat filled omelette soon

My understanding was the spot is rented by the season. It was a flat fee. I could say what I remember the number as but wonā€™t for fear that I do not remember it correctly

2 for 5.00 schickhaus dogs at dutch prime foods.

My buddy got some to go. The kraut was weak and there wasnā€™t much but next time I will ask for extra and to get the dog well done. Unlike some of the dog carts, kraut is free.

A nice serving of onion rings is 2.00 (yes 2.00) and fries are 2.00. Both the fries and rings are good. The rings are actually really good.

So for 7 bucks you can get 2 big dogs and onion rings. At windmill this would be 15

I love the windmill but it isnā€™t cheap.

Dog photo before I dousted it with inglehoffer mustard

3 Likes

Psā€¦itā€™s grill season folks, lets get some dog pics. If you donā€™t have any, go buy some dogs! Lol

What type of mustard is on your menu this summer?

Gotta start some more dogs. For mustard Iā€™m just a classic guldens brown mustard, why mess with perfection?
What dogs are people grilling these days? Again Iā€™m basicā€¦ just a sabrett guy. Plus Pepperidge farm side split buns. Kruat and some pickle relish. Good to go.
Extra credit are some tater tots, baked beans, and sally sherman potato salad.
Throw in a Caribe beer or grapefruit shandy from a cooler full of ice and Iā€™m good for the day

1 Like

I use Admiration deli mustard.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a Maxā€™s guy. Quarter pound Shickhaus dog on the grill is the way to go. Youā€™ll never be disappointed. As far as condiments, whatever mustard, sweet relish and hot relish that they use are fine. And donā€™t forget the sauerkraut. Happy Fatherā€™s Day!

Is there another maxā€™s besides the long branch one? They closed down a while ago

Iā€™m into the packaged windmill dogs, sabrett and Nathans (both natural casings)

The black bear shoprite dogs are very much like schickhaus and possibly are identical (sans the labeling, but Iā€™m not sure.) They have some good sales on those at shoprite.

As for mustard has anyone tried the beer mustard by kosciusko? It is great!

Jeff, Iā€™ll have to give that brand a shot. Iā€™ve never had it to my knowledge.

This is a ā€œwhere can I findā€ question. Long story short I was a BIG fan of Lumā€™s and their preparation. The first ingredient is an all-beef 4-to-a-pound hot dog. All Iā€™ve found locally (Ocean) is Hebrew National and they donā€™t quite fit the need.

So hotdog fans, any wisdom to pass along?

Best Provisions in Newark makes a natural casing all beef dog. You get 20 in a 5LB package which works out to 4 to a pound. They are informally called the Donā€™s dog. As far as I know unless you want to buy in quantity you have to pick them up at the factory which does sell a single 5lb package of any of their many varieties of hot dogs. Iā€™ve gone many times but not in the past year so Iā€™d call before showing up. Just go up the steps to the loading dock and in the door and thereā€™s a counter on the left.

My favorite hot dog is the Best 5 to a pound 9 inch long all beef natural casing. The are informally called the Sydā€™s dog.

http://bestprovision.com/

2 Likes

Maxā€™s - 2 outposts @ MonmouthPark. You can now place your sportā€™s bets also. They also have a food truck.

1 Like