New Jersey Hot Dogs

I believe that Lum’s hotdogs were boiled in beer as were one of the Fort Lee establishments Hiram’s & Callahans.

1 Like

I ate at Lum’s when I was at Fort Knox in the late 60’s. I have located their recipes and procedures on the wonderful Internet. The verb used in the recipes I have is, “stew”. After at least 20 minutes of stewing they are finished on a grill top.

I like the Thumanns natural casing. It is milder than an all beef dog, and is a nice change of pace. I forget where you live, but Sabatos in Middletown has natural casing dogs as well, sold loose, and they are very good. I am unsure who they get them from.

They are looking to reopen July 4. I hope they make it on time. Sounds like they will have a bunch of craft beers as well.

1 Like

Thumans are definitely good too.

Does anyone know the difference beween a windmill casing and schickhaus casing? I’m pretty sure I am not the only one who tastes the different texture. I’m referring to the actual casing itself.

Thanks for the info

Said it once I’ll say it a thousand times spicy dogs from delicious orchards! The best dog ever! Will be having one later, pic to follow.

Happy Father’s Day

1 Like

Just one?

Yeah…(for now)

4 Likes

Haven’t had a hot dog in FOREVER. Hoping to actually hit up the Olde Heidelberg this summer.

Kosciusko mustards are good - about equal or a little better than Guldens. Been a while though - we make our own. Brown mustard, Horseradish & Roasted Garlic.

1 Like

The beer mustard from them is great. The others are average in my eyes.

Pete Genovese is taking nominations for the best hot dog joints in NJ, which he will visit and pronounce a winner by next month. You have until June 24th to nominate your favorite hot dog place.
NJs Best Hot Dog Joints nominations

1 Like

Not closed. Being renovated. Will open August 1st.

1 Like

Post was supposed to go under the one saying that Max’s is closed.

1 Like

The other night I decided to check out Relish, Hot Dog & Sausage Company on Main Street in Belmar. It’s strictly a takeout place, with a counter on the outside of the building if you want to stand there and eat your meal.

They are using 1/4 pound Thumann’s skinless dogs. I asked why the chose a skinless dog and they said because it cooks much more quickly than a dog in a casing. They also have a sweet or hot Italian sausage. In addition, they carry turkey and chicken sausages from Hinck’s. They are cooked on a grill.

They have a lot of suggestions on what toppings can be paired with each dog or sausage. They seemed fun and interesting. I ordered a hot dog with house relish and whole grain mustard; the half & half: half fries and brussel sprouts, the dessert dog and an Orangina.

Their claim to fame is that they don’t use regular buns. Their bun is a baguette that they place over a prong thing that makes room for your dog and toppings. I think this is a fun idea, and definitely different. It makes a nice looking finished package, when it’s all put together. A bonus is that the toppings are totally contained in the roll, no drips! However, I was disappointed with the actual baguette. It was nice and fresh, but I mistakenly thought that it would somehow be toasted on the inside, and warm. No, it wasn’t. The prong thing just squished the inside towards the crust to make room for the dog and the toppings.

I liked the whole presentation of the dog in the baguette. It was nicely packaged. I ordered a dog with whole grain mustard and the house relish. I wasn’t really a fan of the house relish, or the whole grain mustard. I should have opted for the yellow mustard. I really would have preferred a spicy brown mustard, but that wasn’t one of the options. The house made relish was very cucumbery tasting, and I’m really not a fan of cucumber. So bad choices on my part. However, the hot dog was grilled very nicely and slid into the baguette perfectly. It was a nice package.

The fries were thin handcut fries. Since I got my order to go, they steamed in the bag and were not crisp. They needed salt. The fried brussel sprouts were good, but also needed salt.

The dessert dog was a baguette, and it had cannoli cream in it, plus powdered sugar, sugar and cinnamon and another topping drizzled on top of it. I think it was fried. It was huge, and very sweet. And monstrously huge! I love sweet, but since I was full from the other items, I couldn’t eat much of it.

Overall, it was fun checking out a new place. They have a lot of topping choices and some interesting combinations. Ultimately I was disappointed in the dog because of my choice of toppings. I’ll have to go back for another test.

2 Likes

Nice report. Any clue what the old bay is for?

1 Like

Genovese’s methodology for determining a “best” is ridiculous. First, he asks readers for nominations. Anyone who has done proper surveys knows that this immediately leads to biased results. Second, after he has 24 semi-finalists from four regions in Jersey, he then adds 26 of HIS OWN PICKS! Third, he will visit all 50 semi-finalists, then pick 10 finalists. Do you see a trend here? What are the chances that the winner will be one of his own picks? Only after the 10 are chosen does he visit these places with “assistant judges”, presumably picked by Genovese himself.

Look what happened with the “best bakery” results. The winner was a spot that is known for pretty good – but not outstanding - baked goods but atrocious service. The poor service followed this place from their original Brooklyn location to their new location in New Jersey. Sad.

1 Like

Thanks! I didn’t even see the Old Bay there! I have no idea.

So I busted out some of my candied pickled jalapeños. These babies are sweetened with honey and flavored with garlic, dill, salt, and cider vinegar.

They may look innocent but they pack a punch! They come on sweet and bring on the afterburner heat. I gave maybe 6 little pieces to my dad and he says “holy shit those things are hot!” My buddy grew them last year and I pickled them over the fall/winter. That’s a windmill dog on a large bun.

Ps, you will never see a bun so golden brown and perfectly toasted in your life from me so take a minute to enjoy the pic lol. Normally I char the hell out of some portion of the bun.

7 Likes

Good looking dog CJ, those peppers sound right up my ally!

Not trying to compare but I got this guy at the beach club over the weekend. Hot dog pet peeve: don’t only have relish as a topping. If you are having a hot dog on your menu you MUST offer kraut and bonus points for sautéed onions.

1 Like