New Jersey Coronavirus/Covid19 Local Restaurant Specials

have you been to Keyport Fishery yet Mr P? curious on your take (FYI If you haven’t it’s just fried foods - I once witnessed a poor soul get the wrath for asking about baked/broiled fish).

If you want a meal at any of the above places, do it soon.

A little birdie told me that this may be our last weekend out of our homes.

1 Like

No I haven’t tried them yet. They always seem jam packed with a full parking lot. I love fried fish as long as it is crispy and not greasy. We have to try the soft shell crabs when they are in season.

3 Likes

For you David burke fans

I don’t find it terribly greasy. The housemate tartar sauce is legit. It’s def basic stuff, but the cost to quality ratio of a pound of fried shrimp and flounder drenched in lemon and dunked in the tartar is pretty damned good. Eps with a seat on a bench and view of the water.
Three people eating stuffed to the gills on said for 30 bucks is even more amazing

5 Likes

It sounds really good. Maybe I’ll do a double takeout with Drew’s and the Keyport Fishery next week. Do you know if they are still open during this crisis? I can’t see why not since all of their business is takeout.

1 Like

This just in from Laylow:

It’s 5 o’clock EVERYWHERE!
Who’s ready for a cocktail? We’re launching a virtual cocktail class with Dodge & Pip!

Hang with the crew and enjoy a drink with us!!!
We’ll be sharing our favorite cocktail recipes and tips & tricks to use at home.

Here’s how it will work:
-Claim your spot by purchasing a $10 ticket below - All ticket sales will go towards supporting our bar team during this difficult time
-We’ll give you a list of ingredients to grab beforehand so you can mix with us! Or you can make your favorite cocktail to sip on during the class
-Join us on an exclusive Zoom happy hour Saturday, March 21st at 5pm

Let’s have fun, listen to music and virtual cheers!
#virtualcocktails

4 Likes

The next pandemic will be liver transplants!!

1 Like

Dodge is my tenant, maybe I can have him bring drinks in place of rent, lol

1 Like

OMG really?? He’s a good guy (and a great mixologist)! I signed up…

I’m going to add this to this thread:

ETA that I can’t believe they don’t have Frank’s Deli (AP) on this list! It’s an institution. They’re fully staffed and cranking out takeout (only, iirc).

just saw this- really cool move by these guys…

1 Like

Hate to say it, but the only time I’ve ever seen that was when Next Door in Montclair was closing. @paryzer do you remember that?

Yes, Chef Zod had a pay what you can policy at Blu and Next Door the last few weeks before he closed. I wonder what he is up to these days. He was really talented.

Mezza in Westwood has a special if you order more than $50 for takeout you get 20% off.

Dear Friends,

Thanks for all your support these last few weeks. Its been extremely difficult to balance our ability to withstand this crisis from a business standpoint while balancing our responsibility for the safety of the community, our customers and our team.

In light of the current situation with COVID-19, we want to assure you that we are taking all necessary precaution and preventive measures to ensure the health and safety of our guests and staff, which is why will be closing the restaurant for dining in, but we will be offering delivery and curbside take out services [from 11:30am-7pm]. In addition to this we will be offering all orders a special 20% discount for orders over $50 until the end of March. Stay safe and healthy and we look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Kind Regards,

Mezza

I’ve been in touch with him within the last month or so; he’s working on something in NYC (again)…who knows if that will actually happen. :pensive:

1 Like

Restaurant Specials and People Doing Good Vol. 2

Here we go with a second batch of restaurant specials to look out for as well as businesses showing their generosity to the community in these trying times:

Teak (Red Bank) and the Bistro at Red Bank spent the last few days cooking up the remainder of their food and donating it. They took suggestions for prospective organizations on their Facebook page. The post received nearly 500 shares.

Do you love the Barnacle Bill’s (Rumson) Long Island Iced Tea as much as me? Well, now you can make it at home. With restaurants allowed to sell booze to-go (packaged only, not mixed cocktails or open containers), BB’s is offering a “DIY LIT” kit. For $100, it includes a bottle each of vodka, gin, rum, and triple sec, along with lemons, sour mix, and Coca Cola.

Photo from Barnacle Bill’s Instagram.

While Restaurant Nicholas has been selling out takeout orders, the Nicholas Creamery (Atlantic Highlands) is going to temporarily close up shop. Tonight (Saturday) will be their last night in operation. Pints of ice cream are available at the discounted price of $6.

Woody’s Ocean Grille (Sea Bright) is now offering a “Pay What You Can” menu. While the suggested price for items on the limited menu is $10, people can choose to spend what they can afford. Much like JBJ’s Soul Kitchen (Red Bank), if you can afford to chip in a little more, it would probably be highly appreciated.

Drifthouse (Sea Bright) by David Burke will now deliver to within a 10-mile radius, and is giving a $25 gift card for every $100 spent, to be used at a later time.

In a generous move, Demarco’s Catering and Gourmet Deli (Aberdeen) has lowered prices on cold cuts, chicken cutlets, steaks, and jarred sauce in order to lessen the financial blow of people stocking up in these uncertain times.

Middletown is drumming up business in a move called “Takeout Thursdays”, which is encouraging people to order from their favorite local restaurants on Thursdays, or consider the purchase of a gift card to use when things get back to normal: the restaurant can use your money now, and you can reap the reward at a later date.

Lastly, I always like to include one out-of-state post from restaurants I have visited in my travels. The Bull’s Head Pub and General Sutter Inn (Lititz, PA) are giving 100% of all gift cards sales directly to their employees “who have never complained, and have made the Bull’s Head the incredible place it is today”.

Know of an interesting special or someone doing good to help others in the community? Leave us a comment!

Originally posted here on my blog.

5 Likes

Michael Solomonov and his business partner (Zahav, Federal Donuts, et al in Philly) also gave 100% of gift card sales to their employees AND matched the first $40k Not a typo) and as of yesterday, we’re over $150k total.

I’ll have to include that in my next one.

Modine is Asbury is also going above and beyond:

Attention friends and family!

Every day until further notice Modine will offer a free meal, as many as we can, to any restaurant person that has lost their work. We also have paper products, soap, as well as hand sanitizer and toilet paper. We are here for you during these distressed times.

We will be offering a Fried Chicken Package as well as a Vegan Chicken Package plus sandwiches to help fund our effort to support the community. Hours of operation are 3-7 p.m. outof our pickup counter on the corner of Bangs and Emory.
You can call us for pickup or delivery at 732-893-5302 or order online at:
https://app.upserve.com/s/ap-smokehouse-llc-asbury-park

If you want to help, we are accepting donations of food, paper products, and financial support. Gift Cards are also available through online Monetary donations can be sent to our restaurant PayPal jill@modineasbury.com

Those who wish to contribute to this with any ideas or questions please email Hello@modineasbury.com

We are here for you. We are working with other local businesses including the Asbury Park Distillery and the Asbury Park Dinner Table. We will get through this. The most important thing is to work together. Just at a safe distance.

3 Likes

Talulas in AP just announced they are shutting down at end of day today. Same owners as Modine but Modine has not made an announcement, but I am sure this will be the norm this weekend