New items you’ve purchased at the grocery store

Not the flakes, but I’ve used dried ho fun plenty, when I can’t find fresh or can’t make the noodles the same day. I’m kind of curious what you would use the flakes for. Is there a certain dish that uses this, or is this just a different size just for those who prefer a more square noodle vs the long ones.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I’ve tried looking up recipes online, and most seem to point to these square noodles used in Thai stir-fry noodle dishes like pad kee mao or pad see ew.

2 Likes

I hated it!

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think it can be saved. I might just hafta toss it. :frowning_face:

I have enough pork belly hoarded for times when husband is away, but couldn’t pass this up.

Seems like a good deal, especially since it didn’t involve shipping or large pieces.

I can’t seem to find a price per pound for “heritage” pork belly. What is it going for where you shop?

I’ll be linking a pork belly thread, if only for me.

ETA Pork Belly Recipes

5 Likes

I agree, that looks like a good price. Comparable to what I pay at the Chinese market for conventional, and unwrapped.

3 Likes

Also new-to-me French green lentils. Fortunately they were out of the brown lentils I bought last time, and I hunted in the bulk bins.

They cost the same as a package of red lentils! I’m hoping to try a few new lentil salad recipes.

6 Likes

Don’t spill them on your countertop, or you’re going to lose them!

3 Likes

I had to zoom in to see if they were mung beans :joy:

Enjoy! I love french lentil salad, and the texture is very nice with Puy, but I generally use whatever brown/black lentils I have in stock (otherwise I’d never end up making it :rofl:)

3 Likes

Too late!

2 Likes

Do you have a recipe you can share? I made some once last week with brown lentils, but I am wanting to explore.

I saw some black “beluga” lentils, but thought they might be wasted on me.

1 Like

Yeah the beluga and puy are way more expensive than i bother with given my lentil use.

I’ll find the recipe proportions for you. I tend to wing it :joy:

3 Likes

I like a lentil, blue cheese, pear and bacon salad that used to be sold at a gourmet shop in Toronto, similar to this idea.

4 Likes

Not new to me per se, since I shop at Wegmans relatively regularly for my clients, but I really love their chuck & brisket burger patties. They are flavorful & not totally overground.

We used to get TJ’s organic ground beef, but the last time we purchased it it wasn’t great.

2 Likes

I’m going there this weekend - will have to look them up. I usually make my own burgers from 80/20 or 85/15, but will definitely try them!

Despite having just been spoiled by our friend / your namesake :wink: with freshly ground chuck burgers in FL, these were really good.

Former CH Jlawfoodie gifted me an old-fashioned, hand-cranked grinder eons ago… should check the basement for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pictures proves she makes a mean boigah. :hamburger:

Crappitall…now I want a bacon cheezeburger.

2 Likes

Go get it!

1 Like

Bugak seaweed chips. I’m used to sourish yuzu and wasabi Japanese seaweed chips, and these are a bit sweet instead of sour, but they’re not bad. They’re dried instead of fried, so not oily. $11.99 at Canadian Costco.

1 Like

In a quest to find a brand of coffee I like after having found one in Japan that I drank for at least 10 years, I bought this at La Bonita Supermarket here in Sin City. I like a VERY dark roast and this fits the bill.

At first, I tried making it in a French press as well as other ways, but wasn’t satisfied with the taste. I then tried letting 15g (approximately 1/2 oz) of it steep overnight in cheesecloth or unbleached teabags submerged in 150ml (approximately 5 oz) or so of hot water and got the flavor I was looking for.

I had been drinking it hot, but from today I changed it to iced coffee. In addition to it being very good, it’s also quite reasonable at $3.59 (on sale for $3.29) for 10 oz.

BTW, in Japan I drank MJB Original Blend. Though MJB exists as a brand in the US, their original blend is not sold here. I’m a bit leery of trying another of the MJB coffees and not liking it, so at least for the time, I’ll stick with this coffee.

7 Likes

safe-catch-chili-lime-min

How would you use Chili Lime tuna? I bought a can. I don’t like the colour. Not too fond of the taste. I drained off the liquid and added a little mayo. It’s edible but I probably won’t buy it again.

I also purchased the citrus pepper version, which should be okay in a sandwich or pasta dish.

safe-catch-citrus-min

1 Like