My latest "Lucky" market deal; Pork shoulder

Man that’s a sweet spread. Yeah the best part of kimchi making for me is getting to have it with some boiled pork. Ugh I’m craving some now!

So I almost didn’t post this, because I ended up making something I found elswere, and worrying someone might feel I didn’t appreciate all the help I’ve gotten on this, and other threads.

I DO!

By the time I started cutting up the boneless shoulder, and separating out the parts my husband would call “fatty” (" he’s baaaack!" . It’s a good thing. ), I pretty much needed a recipe for ground pork.

Here it is, with my roasted cauliflower salad.

Really good for us two. And husband ate “my” cauliflower instead of “his” rice.

Going to need to account for the brown sugar in my daily carbs. :thinking:

3 Likes

Parking a few others for later.

VIETNAMESE CARAMEL PORK

VIETNAMESE COCONUT CARAMEL CHICKEN

I’ve made caramel pork once. I never thought there would be something porky that I didnt enjoy but this was it. Flavours just weren’t right for me at all.

1 Like

Adding onion and some form of apple, like cider for some of the liquid, or applesauce, would make it even better.

2 Likes

Finally tackling my pork shoulder, starting with reviewing cochinita pibil.

I have no annatto seed and couldn’t find any at Lucky’s, but I have this powder and this paste.

The color of the powder, reconstituted in oil, per directions, looks all wrong. Paste looks right, but includes other ingredients, and has no directions. Anybody have experience with achiote/annatto that might help?

Here is the recipe from Seriouseats.

The Food Lab: Sorry, Pulled Pork, It’s Cochinita Pibil’s MomentThe Food Lab: Sorry, Pulled Pork, It’s Cochinita Pibil’s Moment
"Unwrap banana leaves and serve immediately, "
Seriosly? Cook for 5 hours, then serve immediately?

Or

Slow-Cooker Puerto Rican Pernil With Pique Criollo Recipe

Or

Ultra-Crispy Slow-Roasted Pork Shoulder Recipe

So far, a mash up…

Oh wait…the scored skin is in NONE of these recipes!

Oh, wait…

• A salty, garlicky oregano rub is massaged into the pork shoulder, which has been marked with a cross-hatch pattern. Then, it’s marinated overnight before the cooking begins.
  • A long time in the slow cooker—18 hours—yields a crusty interior and ultra-tender meat.
  • For the Hot Sauce (Pique Criollo):
  • 1 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup distilled water
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lime juice
  • 2 habaneros, halved, seeds and stems removed
  • 2 jalapenos, halved lengthwise
  • 2 serrano peppers, halved lengthwise
  • 1/4 cup finely diced, fresh pineapple
  • 5 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
  • 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

I have way too many peppers to choose here, but I will ! Mostly “seasoning” chinense peppers with mild to moderate heat. What have you tried?

I’ve never used that filipino powdered mix, and I don’t make pibil all that often, but when I do, I usually use the paste. I don’t know if this is “correct”, but I’ve always just diluted it with juice, maybe throwing in a little “extra” herbs and spices according to mood/whim/how it smells… If you’re using all of the liquids the Serious Eats recipes calls for, just use those, diluting to the recommended consistency (more or less). (Or maybe more to the point, using enough paste to get the right consistency using the amount of liquid the recipe calls for?)

2 Likes

Just what I needed! Thank you!

Now I’m beginning to wonder if I have a “whole shoulder” rather than picnic.

Yay! Keto diet reference! Which suggests IF I actually eat it all, I DID get a good deal!

From ruled.me. Crispy Skin Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder KETO RECIPES > KETO DINNER

“Yesterday, I picked up this 8 pound roast for just under $16. Yep, that’s under $2 a pound …”

(https://www.ruled.me/crispy-skin-slow-roasted-pork-shoulder/)

Okay, maybe not. But for those who have both…

You can split it up, and make it two ways. I found this.

I think I will try to remove some of the meat, and do the pibil recipe with some, and the pernil with the rest.

1 Like

All at less than 30 minutes.
Electric Smoker

Pibil
!
Pernil

3 Likes

Later…

4 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Let’s talk about smoking

I just made after-work lasagna with the frozen bologna meat sauce!

1 Like

Looks so delicious!

Breaking Down Pork Shoulder: Boston Butt Versus Picnic Shoulder

3 Likes

I’m currently braising a pork shoulder in soft apple cider, with some cumin, coriander, bay leaf and pepper.

These caught my eye for another time

2 Likes

Thanks for the “nudge” and recipes. I love pork shoulder! I have started using country style ribs, since I seem to be the only one who does in my household.

2 Likes

My fav for this is carnitas… tender, crispy, super flavorful, and great on almost everything. Best with fresh lard, but if you don’t have access to it, it can be done rendering the pork fat with other goodies. Yum!

2 Likes

Yes! I do love me some carnitas! Still, it’s been a long time since I’ve made them at home. Luckily there’s a place down the street I can get really good ones, and there’s not a lot of things I can say that about!

1 Like