My latest "Lucky" market deal; Pork shoulder

Both freeze well. I agree on purchased char siu… maybe red cooked pork or one of its variations instead.

1 Like

Yaaaaas!

I do love pork belly!

Here it goes, quite straight forward and easy!

Pork shoulder in milk / Palette fraîche au lait
recipe of Stéphane Reynaud

Ingredients

• 1.5 kg / 3.3 pound pork shoulder
  • 2 L / 2.1 quart milk
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 sprig of thyme
  • 1 sprig of rosemary
  • 2 bay leaves

In a dutch oven, cover meat completely with milk, add herbs and garlic. Bake in a covered pot at 180ºC / 355ºF until the milk is completely evaporated.

The pork is eaten both hot and cold, accompanied by the confiture of milk at the bottom of the casserole.

I usually rubbed the interior of dutch oven with garlic to ease the cleaning of cooked milk. It usually works.

3 Likes

No, there can’t.

As you’re going away, I’d suggest some sort of casserole for freezing. If you come up with a good recipe, please share it - as we bought a shoulder joint at the market today. It’s gone straight in the freezer pending a decision on casserole - we’ll eat half and freeze the remainder for a future quick “brown gloop” dinner.

2 Likes

There is a traditional Alsatian recipe we eat from time to time, maybe you will find it interesting.

Palette à la diable à l’alsacienne / Alsatian Devil’s pork shoulder

Ingredients

• 1 pork shoulder (tied) around 1.2 kg / 2.65 pound
  • Dijion mustard in grains (moutarde à l’ancienne) or strong mustard
  • 1/2 cup of blond beer (or white wine, I sometimes use brune or dark beer)
  • 1 bay leaf

Preheat the oven 180 ° C / 355 ° F.

Place the shoulder in an oven dish and brush generously with mustard. Add the bay leaf.

After 15 minutes, pour the beer in the dish.

Cook for around 80 - 90 minutes (depending your size of meat), basting the meat regularly with its cooking juices.

Once the meat is well colored, if the cooking time is not over, cover it with a sheet of aluminum foil to avoid burnt.

Serve hot or cold, with potatoes.

2 Likes

.88c is a great deal! Not sure why but there have been a lot of great sales on pork shoulder lately, our local markets here (Shoprite) had sales on them last month for 79c and 59c/lb. Absurd prices.

I don’t cook for crowds much any more, if I did it would be great roasted whole. It’s a really versatile cut, you can slice it up and do taco/burrito type things with it, make a stew/soup/chili, pulled pork, pretty much anything goes. It’s great just grilled or pan fried too.

My mom made an enormous pot of pork and kimchi stew also. Mmm.

1 Like

I apologize for soapboxing on your post… but this isn’t real bossam, in case anyone cares. Not that Chang’s rendition isn’t delicious, but traditional bossam is boiled pork served with some form of fresh kimchi. It’s one of my favorite dishes ever and I highly recommend trying the “authentic” version!

2 Likes

What’s the old quote about a ham and two people being an eternity? :grin:

2 Likes

Something that would freeze well is a ragu. I often make one with beef shin and they are similar in that they both need to be cooked slowly and gently. I have tweaked this, as it’s pork. I cant’ give exact quantities as I always do it my eye.

Pork shoulder cut in large cubes approx 2"
Small dice of onion, carrot and celery (probably 2 onions , 2 carrots , 2 sticks of celery)
2 x 400g tins of tomatoes.
Chicken stock
Crushed fennel seeds
Dried oregano
white wine/dry sherry or dry vermouth.
tomato puree
salt and sugar(depending on tomatoes to taste)
olive oil.

Preheat oven to 150c

Brown the pork pieces in batches in a pot that can go in the oven and has a lid and once browned, remove.
Turn down the heat and sweat off the onions, carrot & celery, once soft add the fennel seeds and oregano. Cook for 2 mins. Add salt.
Add the tomato puree and cook out for 2-3 mins.
Add a good glug of white wine/dry sherry or dry vermouth. Turn up the heat until all the liquid has almost gone. Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 mins. Check the seasoning and add more salt and maybe sugar if the tomatoes are too acidic. Add in the pork pieces.
Top up with chicken stock to cover all the meat.

Cook in the oven at 150c. Probably take around 2 hours maybe a bit more. After one and half hours check the meat. Keep checking until the neat is tender. Once tender remove the pieces of meat and shred with two forks. Set the meat aside.
Put the pan back on the hob and reduce the sauce until thickened. Add the shredded meat and simmer for 5 mins so it all combines.
Serve with whatever pasta takes your fancy ( I would go for pappardelle or rigatoni).
Freeze whatever’s left.

2 Likes

I love bossam, one of my favourite things when I was in South Korea. A bit tricky to order for 1 though. I ordered some in on Jeju and they looked a bit puzzled. Once it turned up I realised why. Two people next to me ordered it and apart from some extra pork and a soup and rice each I got the same amount of food. It was all delicious though.

5 Likes

You guys are the best! I recently made and froze (is that a word?) some ragu, and hope to use it for some lasagna for husband, which I haven’t made since we were dating! He calls that a bait and switch. If that simplifies the process as much as I hope, more will be needed. I am making rolls and cauliflower salad for a meeting tonight, and will then tackle the boneless pork shoulder.

1 Like

I can’t recommend an exact recipebut i do know mexican posole uses pork- looks like that varies by recipe if it’s the shoulder or butt or whatever, but the few times i have had (vegetarian) posole it’s excellent and perfect for chilly weather. Fresh cilantro to garnish is important

2 Likes

Perfect for hangovers as well! Or so I’m told. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That would be Dorothy Parker. Eternity is two people and a ham. But roast pork is another story…

I do all kinds of things with pork shoulder but pernil is the best.

3 Likes

Man that’s a sweet spread. Yeah the best part of kimchi making for me is getting to have it with some boiled pork. Ugh I’m craving some now!

So I almost didn’t post this, because I ended up making something I found elswere, and worrying someone might feel I didn’t appreciate all the help I’ve gotten on this, and other threads.

I DO!

By the time I started cutting up the boneless shoulder, and separating out the parts my husband would call “fatty” (" he’s baaaack!" . It’s a good thing. ), I pretty much needed a recipe for ground pork.

Here it is, with my roasted cauliflower salad.

Really good for us two. And husband ate “my” cauliflower instead of “his” rice.

Going to need to account for the brown sugar in my daily carbs. :thinking:

3 Likes

Parking a few others for later.

VIETNAMESE CARAMEL PORK

VIETNAMESE COCONUT CARAMEL CHICKEN

I’ve made caramel pork once. I never thought there would be something porky that I didnt enjoy but this was it. Flavours just weren’t right for me at all.

1 Like

Adding onion and some form of apple, like cider for some of the liquid, or applesauce, would make it even better.

2 Likes