Mustard for Hot Dogs?

Spicy brown

3 Likes

I’ve never really paid attention to the specific features of the many kinds of mustard, just that I liked most.

1 Like

I try lots of mustards. I like them all, mostly.

3 Likes

I have come around to using a spicy brown mustard for hot dogs and other sausage sandwiches. French’s or Gulden’s are fine. Jack Daniels also had some branded mustards (no whiskey in them) that were pretty good - I like the jalapeno one and the horseradish, along with the chipotle one. We keep Dijon and whole mustard seed styles in the house too, but not for hot dogs (unless we’re out of any of the others).

1 Like

What a great topic. I like varies mustard on hot dogs. I like the stereotypical bright yellow mustard ok, but I do like Dijon and stone ground mustard. So I guess I am opposite from you.

I will be making Turf Farm Sandwiches* as soon as my avocados ripen. Mustard of choice: honey mustard.

*a derogatory term used by a old co-worker fo a sprouts, veggies, cheese and multi-grain and seeds bread sandwich.:joy:

Mayo on the top, honey mustard on the bottom.

7 Likes

What about McNuggets? Hot mustard + honey mustard is my go to sauce choice. Hot mustard isn’t available nationwide though , so I’ll go for sweet and sour instead.

1 Like

I’ve only had 3 orders of McNuggets in the past 20 years. I have had 2 of those orders in the past year, most recently about 2 months ago. I like honey or sweet & sour with nuggets. I don’t like mustard on chicken.

I don’t think hot mustard is an option at my local McD’s, in Canada.

I don’t really eat hot dogs, but my choice of any similar sausage would be on a roll with german or french mustard, crispy fried onions and some chili sauce. Maybe gherkins aa well

1 Like

My current ‘regular’ is Ty Ling Chinese Hot which I started using because the other brand, Kame (or is it Ka Me?) is often not in stock. A little sweeter.

Love Kosciusko spicy brown, beer mustard, and Plochman’s Cuban, a really interesting mustard that I’ve only come across once. I like Plochman’s yellow better than French’s. Plochman is the parent company of Kosciusko, I understand, and is not widely available down here.

Another really interesting mustard I came across was Kamis, a Russian mostardza made in Poland by a little company called McCormick. Only seen that one once, too.

I like just about every mustard I’ve ever tried except Swedish - too sweet for most uses, and Eden Organic which I really disliked when I first opened it. I kept it in the back of the fridge for years and it mellowed out considerably and I liked it – but I don’t remember how many years :grin:.

Lowensenf (German), Extra and Mild - Dusseldorf style mustards. Bertman’s from Cleveland is a Dusseldorf I understand with a little sweetness. I paid about $9 for a bottle of Bertman’s from Amazon; not sure I’m gonna do that again.

I can’t remember ever using Dijon on a hot dog.

1 Like

So, which one of those mustards do you use for hot dogs?

Currently, the Ty Ling. Have used the Kosciusko/Plochmans, Lowensenf and the others at one time or another. I like to try different ingredients and once is not enough to make judgements in most cases. Have been using Ty Ling for about 8 months but someday will get tired of it I expect.

2 Likes

Stadium Mustard.

1 Like

It’s not mustard, but we had it on a hot dog at a Brewers game:

Love that. The stronger the mustard, the better. Add onions and peppers and all to mask the dog.

Your candor is appreciated.

2 Likes

Shhhhhhhhhh!!! Now ya let the cat out of the bag.

1 Like

Better that than recommending the mistake crab cake in Baltimore. So much for when in Rome . . . at least at some ballparks . . .

2 Likes

I wouldn’t get the crab cake in Milwaukee, either. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Never, ever get a crab cake from a place that doesn’t know what they’re doing. Spoken as a native -born Baltimoron. No typo.

3 Likes

Be forewarned: if you see “Maryland crab cake” anywhere outside Maryland, proceed at your own risk. I’ve observed this … never fell for it, though. :eyes:

1 Like