Misen vs Mercer knives

yes indeed. “most” users of knives recognize:
“Damn, Jim - I’m a doctor - and it’s not cutting like it used to!”

whether they choose to rectify the situation by DIY or sending out. . .
different issue.

but indeed, in any kitchen one can very likely find a ceramic “plate hone” to mystically make a blade sharper . . . (g)

day after tomorrow , , , , oops!

My thinking that most people do not send out knives for re-sharpening is because they think it is expensive – maybe? Sharpening a knife by a professional costs about $6-15, right?

cost varies widely ‘by vendor’
local ‘farm market’ type stalls run to $1 per inch.
ACE hardware may have a ‘sharpening bot’ machine that beats even that.

my own personal impetus to “scharpen it yo-self, dummy!” is . . . .
what’cha’ gonna’ cut with while the knife is on sharpening vacation?

we have three (married - off to the world…) children - who ‘inherited’ the ‘I like to cook!’ gene. made Chad Ward’s mouse pad convex sharpeners for each of them - and in all three cases their (and their SO…) reaction has been “Dang! that sharp stuff is amazing”

what device? looks like:

4 Likes

People who have the means (Sadly that is not everyone. Food insecurity is far too common.) quite often have skewed views on how they use their funds in the kitchen. Even if it is an inferior job to what a professional sharpener might do, something easy like a Chef’s Choice will quickly pay for itself. Sending a chef’s knife and a paring knife out twice a year adds up quickly (and is a poor investment without honing between sharpenings). So that beautiful block of knives, most of which are either unused or misused, is all too often dull. Deploying the purchase price on the trifecta of chef, parer, and bread along with a sharpener and a honing steel would have been a far more effective use of funds in most kitchens, and far less of that expensive food would have been mangled. It probably would have saved on bandaids, too.

2 Likes

I concur. Bought one about a year ago.

The Mennonite run store by me sell Radas. Made in Iowa. Funny you brought those up. Not many Rada owners out there, I’d guess. I have all the knives I could need.

Love that sharpener. I bet you could sharpen a Kiwi with that in a few swipes.

I have Radas. And their little sharpener. I love my little Rada paring knives.

How flexible/springy are the Rada paring knife blades?

I can flex them - there are 2 blade lengths- 2-1/2 and 3-1/4. I have the longer one in serrated. They’re at least as flexible as my victorinox, but I like the shape of the blade better.