Misen vs Mercer knives

I just bought a Misen for my chef pal (early Christmas present, and don’t worry, I’ll make him give me money) to replace the one he uses at work that was “borrowed” this summer.

He even let me use it… I really love how light it is and it holds a great edge. (No, Im not the borrower)

Most of my batterie are Wusthof, with a few Berghoff because i live not too far from their headquarters/outlet…but my next one might be a Misen

Not even close to an equivalency. We don’t have concentration camps in USA, and we don’t weld citizens into their homes to enforce quarantines.

6 Likes

Hmm…you have 2.5 million people in prison, and call your concentration camps “detention centers”; cops randomly kill civilians (especially black civilians), corrupt judges, civil asset forfeiture, totalitarian surveillance, imprisoned govt whistleblowers, a censored press, etc.

So yes, very similar.

2 Likes

Not at all.

1 Like

Have a nice day.

1 Like

Well lets add in iraq and afghanistan and now the numbers are a little different. Then how we treat trans folk and lgbtqia is dreadful. Some poor in the us live in 3rd world conditions. 50 minority majority cities and towns do not have drinkable water in their taps. Our maternal death rate is behind costa Rica’s. And black mothers are 4 times more likely to die.

So yeah, perfect here.

(post deleted by author)

No one, least of all me, said USA is perfect. But we are a real democracy, have a non-farcical rule of law, some social safety net, and no widespread state-sponsored persecution. Many other countries do, too.

Comparing USA to China, Russia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Cuba, Myanmar and all the other bad actors? That dog won’t hunt.

3 Likes

So the fact that the last two GQP presidents did not win majorities is

2 Likes

No. Corporations play an outsized role here in influence, but they don’t vote.

You don’t know me, friend. Just as I don’t know you well enough to accuse you of hating USA. Despite our many and serious problems, we have a better system overall than any other in the world. Just my opinion.

What countries do you buy from?

That you may freely post this ungrateful criticism publicly, even if in an effort to improve our imperfect and fractured society, without fear of retribution is perhaps the strongest evidence against your own argument.

1 Like

While i am painfully aware that the world is fraught with problems, i come here for some respite.

I’m not taking a side…just asking you to please take this up on a different venue.

Hele Rennie is terrific as a teacher and personality. Currently she’s got her dander up about the Misen Chef 2.0 and is actually trying to raise a subscriber insurrection against the company. I haven’t seen the knife itself (and was never sold on the original) but her complaints seem well reasoned. She is always worth your attention.

1 Like

If it was a Thomas’s English muffin you split with a knife, that shows real dedication to exercising all the blades in your batterie.

all this knife stuff is extremely amusing.

the practical differences between major “names” is zip.comma.zero.null
for the home cook, it boils down to
“does the handle and the blade geometry/shape work for you?”

nadda hundredth percentile are concerned with easy/difficulty in sharpening.
see: electric sharpener devices.

either they home sharpen, or send out sharpen, or don’t sharpen.
not a single knife brand of any repute will stay sharp/usable with zero effort maintenance.
… the ceramic like to say so, but that again is a lie…

I have one, too. From the 1970s. And an electric sharpener. And pull-through. I even have stones. And a zillion brands of knives. Including my ancient French carbon steels, also from the 70s.

They are all sharp. I’m happy. Only knives I buy these days are little radas and kiwis.

The ZZZ is just an early crock stick, yes?

For those wanting a current version, I recommend a Big Stick.

I think so, but it was quite a cool thing when it first came out. I may have posted a link to it’s history on CH.

As to sharpening/not sharpening/sending out, Tom, I’m in complete agreement. Don’t know how many dinners I’ve been at where there wasn’t some woe about dull knives by the host. I’d then step heroically forward, send everyone out of the kitchen and secretively sharpen the host’s knife–well, at least improve its edge–on the back of a porcelain plate dosed with olive oil.

1 Like