Misen vs Mercer knives

Congratulation. Let me know how you like it after using it for awhile. Was that 70% off only applies to certain knife lines? Or all Mercer knives? Thanks.

2 Likes

Thank you, I was excited to be able to try out a knife at such a reasonable price.
The discount was only for the Mercer Genesis 8” Chef’s knife.
P.S.
All my other knives are full bolster so this is new to me too because it is a half bolster.

2 Likes

Have you double check that it will be half bolster? Dean has stated that Genesis have two versions of full bolster and half-bolster. I am thinking that it is old (full) vs new (half-bolster). Still, you may want to confirm this.

Although some people do not like the Genesis handle look, it actually should provide a softer, and comfortable hold.

Enjoy.

Edited:

Forget what I said. You must already have the knife with you. I thought it is being transition from the store to you.

1 Like

Yes, I picked it up the other day because I was afraid that they may sell out at that price ( eta. 70 % off ).
So I didn’t hesitate and purchased one.
If it was only a 20% off or less, I probably would have hummed and hawed about it a little longer.

7 Likes

Look nice. Please let me know how you like it after using it a couple of times.

1 Like

Samurai it’s my favorite brand, but I prefer any knife that cut;s good.

1 Like

Lololol !

As the saying goes “Never bring a Knife to a Sword fight”.

Welcome aboard Sponge Bob.

1 Like

Webstaurant has both available… in fact, they offer 3 different 8" knives: 8" full tang full bolster, 8" short bolster and 8 in granton w/short bolster.

Mercer 8" on Webstaurant

1 Like

I have a 6" chefs and a 9" chefs from Mercer Genesis, both short bolster. Love both of them even though I only use the 9" for chopping herbs or garlic etc. I do have a 7" Sanktou which I use about as much as my 6". I have had the knives for 2 years now and again, for me, I cannot say enough about both.

2 Likes

Hi Olunia,

For curiosity, how much cheaper was your Mercer Genesis than this price?

Hi Ray,

I don’t do eBay nor would I ever buy a knife from there.
I had a girlfriend who was addicted to eBay so when I wanted something she would bid on it for me.
I’m rather an old fashioned kinda gal and like to walk into a Brick and Mortar and be greeted with a smile.
Put my money on the counter and hear a thank you for shopping with us.

3 Likes

Hi Olunia,

I just was testing price. I can usually beat either EBAY or AMAZON, but I use them to estimate value–then I search for a better and better price–mostly by Googling.

I always then check the credibility record of the vendor. Works pretty well.

Most recently, I bought all my kitchen upgrades from AMAZON because I had to: my son gave me an AMAZON gift card. Otherwise, I would have done things very differently.

I am slow, though.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been jonesing for an 8" and that price is crazy cheap.

They are beautiful. I have never tried one.

1 Like

I have only bought one item on ebay and that was a perfume from the Emirates, I only could get via ebay.

I’m sure Ebay is a nice place to purchase stuff, it’s jst not for me either.

However I have to admit, that I don’t buy cookware at brick & mortar shops any longer.

An example to illustrate why.

I was looking to buy a Mauviel M250c 28 cm rondeau with lid 3-4 years ago.
Just for fun I went to my local upscale department store in Copenhagen to see if they had it and at what price.

Before this I already knew I could get it on a french cookware website called French Corner for a discount price - $530 including the lid, brand new and directly ordered from Mauviel.

So I went to the cookware department and I got a shock.

They charged $1,050 for the exact same Mauviel 28 cm M250c Rondeau - and for that price you get very knowledgeable 18-22 year old college student to advice you, a student who quite often still live at home with their parents and probably have a hard time making a medium seared Ribeye steak, some even most likely have a hard time boiling an egg :laughing:

You also get a demo piece since they usually only have one in stock of such a high priced item - so you’ll get one, that has been banged around by 1000 of customers trying to hold it and check it out - the one I saw had a few marks on the side from being banged around.

So I asked myself in the situation:

Claus, would you rather buy the $530 version from a French store with direct connections to Mauviel, or the piece at the department store where a young college student can’t give you any advice regarding the copper piece and you only have to pay a little more than twice the price you pay for it at the french online store ?

I saw the same thing with Mauviel M’Cook pans and Demeyere pans - I sometimes almost adviced the customers to save their money and buy it from reputable online dealers instead of paying 100% overprice at a department store full of student clerks with ZERO knowledge of how to actually cook :grinning:

This is why I buy at reputable online cookware stores.
If I felt the sales assistant could offer me any usable advice, I would buy far more often at real cookware stores and accept to pay a premium price for the service.

2 Likes

I liked brick and mortar stores before WS and SLT displaced many small stores. I have everything I need, but every now and then some item piques my interest. I find myself looking on Etsy more than eBay. I also like some superb online retailers. I feel pretty confident in buying based on looks and specs. I would be fine buying a Mercer if I needed a knife. All the knives I have bought in the last twenty or thirty years have been internet buys. The selection is pretty good there.

Hi Claus,

I’ve had very good experiences with EBAY–but it can be a real adventure–especially with auctions.

Hi Olunia,

I do want you to enjoy your purchase–and price should never be the deciding difference any way.

It’s just that an apparent “bargain” price was what prompted you to buy this knife.

Mercer culinary does a great job in offering amazing quality at low price for those comfortable with maintenance obligations–like culinary workers. The Wusthof knives you own are more expensive, but less demanding for edge retention maintenance: you can get by easier at home. Such a difference between your Mercer and Wusthof knives edge retention may not be noticed right away, but if you’re a heavy enough user, you’ll notice:

1 Like

Appreciate your feedback. Zum, Genesis and Renaissance have different handles. Do you like that Genesis handle? A tad softer and a tad less slippy I assume.

1 Like

They are beautiful knives especially the handle designs.
The Kiwi knives caught me off guard this brand I had seen before.
It was just my poor attempt at joking with you.

I had a ten inch Dexter with a curved blade. It was terrific, but the scalloped edge wore out surprisingly fast. I was all set to replace it with the $29 Tojiro, which garners glowing reviews, but got seduced by the olive handle on an 8" Au Sabot from Flotsam and Fork. It is the best serrated edge I have ever used. In fact it is so good I really do not miss the extra two inches.