Microgreens...what say you?

I don’t see a big difference between sprouts and microgreens. Microgreens are just sprouts you grow longer. Expensive in the store, cheap and easy at home. You don’t need expensive sprouters. They’re pretty growing and on your food. Many add interesting flavors.

Sandwiches, deviled eggs, other sorts of eggs, salads, garnishes on most anything, …

If you have children or grandchildren they grow fast enough to keep kids attention and are an entre into gardening for young people.

I grow them hydroponically in canning jars.

Here, in Zurich, a small package costs $5.

Here in the US easy Internet sources for most microgreen seeds (and sprout seeds) are between $20 and $25US per pound (half a kg - ish). That’s enough seeds for a metaphorical tonne of microgreens.

This was a gift my wife received. You can buy 3 seed quilts for $17.00 thru Hamama and a grow tray for $3. at any garden center. Three quilts worth of sprouts is a boatload.

I was talking about greens to put on your salad or whatever, not seeds.

I know, with a price to buy microgreens in–I think–Switzerland. I was comparing that to the price to buy seeds to grow your own microgreens. I considered the comments here about the prices for buying them.

You can grow microgreens on a damp paper towel. No equipment needed. It takes about two weeks.

1 Like

The paper towel method was a elementary school project when I was a kid.

1 Like

Agreed. If you don’t have an 8 year old handy an adult can do it also. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqrXTbIQmfc

What is more “kitcheny” than something growing? Herbs on the window sill, microgreens on the counter, sprouts in a jar tucked away, an avocado pit in a glass, …

We don’t need forty acres (sixteen hectares for our EU brethren) in corn or even hanging baskets of cherry tomatoes to garden.

If I could keep our cat out of the basil I might be able to actually enjoy some on my caprese salad.

2 Likes

Harvest

4 Likes

How much time in total, from day 1 to harvest?

Nine. I could have gone taller in 11 days or harvested 1/3 at a time as long as you keep the tray watered.

I see!

Looking at the construction of your box, is it possible to grow quilts separately, say, in 4 different stages, you get harvest progressively. Or different greens instead of a lot of the same greens?

There are a dozen or so diff seed quilts sold on the site. This was our first quilt and first experience using a Hamama setup. It requires nearly zero care once you fill box with water and soak the quilt. There were several cloudy, chillier days during the grow that had no ill effect. The sprouts are very crunchy and tasty. The other two quilts we will grow one at a time once we are ready for more. Salad tonight :wink:

If you buy seed quilts from Hamama and trays locally, you could go to sprout town!

1 Like

Looks good. Thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

Toasted Bialy smashed avocado and sprouts

E555708B-C63C-40CA-9F33-70558E57FB54

1 Like

Just reordered new quilts. We are totally into this easy hydro method. The greens were a big hit at Thanksgiving and now on a few Christmas gift lists.

5 Likes

Kale sprouts

2 Likes

Kale ready for harvest this week.

2 Likes

Still harvesting and in warm weather that’s 3-5 days start to finish.

2 Likes

I can remember eating beet greens back in the 1960s. When we thinned our beets, we ate the greens of the ones we pulled. (For that matter, we eventually ate the greens of the ones we harvested.) Is this now a new thing?

1 Like