MEXICAN - Winter 2024 (Jan-Mar) Cuisine of the Quarter

Clearly the HO hivemind had spices and salsas on the brain, because MEXICAN was our sole nominee for Cuisine of the Quarter this time around, and therefore, our default winner! I adore Mexican food (and all of its various American-fusion regional variants), and I look forward to exploring it in greater detail along with you HOs.

13 Likes

I bought a small beef tongue yesterday so lengua will be on the menu in early January.

7 Likes

We love Mexican food. But, for some reason, I don’t cook it. This will be very interesting.

2 Likes

I look forward to this one.

We have Huevos Rancheros or a Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Casserole most Christmas mornings.

https://www.emerils.com/125360/mexican-breakfast-casserole

This thread has some Mexican Xmas ideas, including Christmas enchiladas (because they have red and green sauce, but people also eat them at Xmas.
A Red & Green Christmas…

Tamales are a big deal in my cousin’s family and her extended family during the Christmas holidays.

I’m also a big fan of Huevos Divorciados https://www.isabeleats.com/huevos-divorciados/.

I’ll probably make some pecan Mexican wedding cakes over the weekend. https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/mexican-wedding-cookies-recipe/

6 Likes

My day after Christmas breakfast will be: chilaquiles with huevos rancheros, ham, spicy rice and beans . Mexican breakfast is my home!

3 Likes

https://www.chron.com/food/article/toronto-tex-mex-18575015.php

@Phoenikia
:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Thanks!

I made some chilaquiles verdes for dinner

Followed this video mostly

6 Likes

This guy is one of my favorite chefs on the Epicurious videos! This a recent video from him I liked:

3 Likes

Fun and educational video!! But he never showed us how to finish the beans? Or was it just spoon them into the onions with a bit of broth and leave the rest of the broth behind?

1 Like

Yeah, I think the intent was just to serve them up with the rice and a little queso fresco. But, you could use them (and the bean broth) however you want!

3 Likes
1 Like

I made my gringo white sauce surimi enchiladas on Jan 3rd! Similar to this recipe: Help! I need to make a seafood enchilada on Saturday! - #18 by Phoenikia

Jarred Chile Verde on the side.

@bbqboy has recommended this recipe.

I also enjoyed a cochinita and a brisket taco out yesterday.

6 Likes

We had chicken tinga tacos yesterday to use up the last of some poached chicken. My sauce had a can of fire roasted tomatos, guajillo, pasilla, and arbol chiles, white onion, garlic, Mexican oregano, and cumin. BF likes a particular tinga at a local restaurant that does not include (at least discernibly) chipotle, so I left that out. I think it came out pretty good, but is still a work in progress.

13 Likes

Love chicken tinga – yours looks so good! I’m pondering the absence of chipotle flavor…

3 Likes

I like it better with the chipotle, but BF wants what BF wants! Without the chipotle, it is a fairly standard tomato sauce with some fruity heat. I did like using the chicken breast here because, when pulled, it absorbed the sauce flavors really well. Chicken breast is really just a vehicle for whatever it is being served in, since it is so mild in flavor itself.

3 Likes

Here is my fav tinga (which is based on chipotle) but you can roast other peppers with the tomatoes and tomatillos before adding it all in the blender.

If you’re using precooked chicken just add it to the sauce at the end and cook long enough to heat well.

2 Likes

Beef and black bean enchilada with red sauce, sharp cheddar, sour cream and cilantro. Rice, avocado and radishes. And a Margarita. Enchilada, sauce and rice from the freezer.

12 Likes

Chilaquiles verdes again for lunch, with queso fresco and a fried egg.

12 Likes

Albondigas, onion, garlic, celery, carrots, tomato paste, cumin, Mexican oregano, pepper, sazĂłn, chicken broth, cilantro, served with tortilla chips, avocado, radishes and a margarita.

11 Likes