What's For Dinner #102 - the Out With the Old Edition - January 2024

Why not toast both sides?

Did I miss what the rules are for NFJ? If so, I apoligize, but quite interested to hear the guidelines. With you in sisterhood of starting the New Year with a clean slate!

1 Like

It’s kind of a joke between my friends & PIC and me: No Food January. Obviously, not really sustainable unless one cares to develop an eating disorder.

In yesterday’s case, the borscht was hands down the healthiest option, with others being an inCREDible veal bolognese (I tried a couple of forks from my friend’s plate), a hot fried chicken sandwich, and a tuna melt. So those were def out for me.

But more seriously… ideally, mostly broths and salads but that also hasn’t happened. I’m just realllllly trying to eat lighter (more fish/seafood, more veg-based dishes - I already have salad almost every day as evident here by the same boring pics :smiley:), and also to generally eat half of what I would like to eat, and pay attention to when I am full. I’m better about leaving food on my plate at home than when I am dining out, and I just stopped with half a bowl of salad left and about a 1/3 of the meat you see on the plate.

A soup and or salad day at least once a week is also part of The Plan :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Got it, and agree! A month of making the better choice goes a long way.

1 Like

Woks of Life char siu fried rice. Cabbage-stuffed egg rolls, air-fried in a counter-top convection oven. Sweet soy dipping sauce with garlic, ginger and scallion.

24 Likes

Chilaquiles verdes with chorizo and avocado

26 Likes

I had a craving for Gỏi Gá - Vietnamese Chicken Salad - so I found a recipe online (Food & Wine) and turned it over to the BF. Executed just about perfectly! it was spicy, crunchy, sweet, and salty. My only quibble is he used breast meat from a nearby rotisserie place, and I would have preferred thigh, as the texture was a tad mushy. but still, i want this in the rotation. for himself, he made some macaroni chicken thing, but it was nowhere near as tasty as mine. Sad! :frowning_with_open_mouth:

24 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at Fiorentini, including handmade agnolotti with gremolata pesto; raviolone with truffle-ricotta filling, egg yolk and mushroom ragu; tortellini cacio e pepe; Chilean sea bass with celery root puree and Chianti sauce; short ribs with onion foam and sunchoke chips. It all went great with an excellent red blend and cabernet.

19 Likes

I’m planning on doing this for the time being - not just this month :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sausage-Filled Portobello Mushrooms with Broccolini and Cherry Tomatoes - From the Dinner in One book - Portobello mushrooms are filled with a mixture of Italian pork sausage, panko bread crumbs, garlic, thyme, parmesan, parsley and white wine. Cooked in the oven with some broccolini and cherry tomatoes.

18 Likes

Why?

I only wanted one side toasted.

That sounds delicious, I’ve bookmarked the recipe and I have all the ingredients including blsl thighs.

2 Likes

Thank you! It was my first attempt and they were really good with a nice pocket still so I’m definitely not discouraged from trying them again.

I hope you give it a go too and share it with us :blush:

2 Likes

I do think so. I had a little heater on to take some of the chill out but the bowl with the dough still felt too cold. My mistake was being impatient and working with it anyway but it’s a good lesson to learn for me.

1 Like

Really appreciate your—and this group’s—encouragement to try my hand at pita (in the not-too-distant future)!

3 Likes

Back to relieving the freezer of leftovers tonight.

We had haleem (a stew of mixed grains, lentils, and usually meat, but this was a vegetarian version), chicken seekh kabab, and rumali roti. Fried brown onions (birista) on top and raw, sliced onions on the side.

Earlier in the evening, I made Handvo, a savory cake with mixed grains, lentils, and vegetables. Switched up the cooking method and did it in a fry pan. We ploughed through most of it with teatime visitors.

Yesterday, Kerala stew with lacy appams, a hot favorite in this house, rarely if ever any leftovers!

25 Likes

That all looks delicious!

4 Likes

Last night’s dinner
Salmon on a bed of sautéed romaine, fresh and roasted garlic, diced tomatoes, onions, pepperonata, some hot sauce, S&P, a drizzle of olive oil and a squirt of lemon. 🍋 Delicious 😋 Need way more fresh fish in my diet.

24 Likes

Ooh, what a pretty fishie!

1 Like

Have you tried microwaving the spinach instead of blanching? I’ve started briefly microwaving some vegetables before cooking to pull off excess water. Spinach is less soggy, Brussels sprouts crisp up beautifully etc.

5 Likes