Memory foods that are not in fashion

:smiley:

Pretty sure it was originally “Swissed” steak - referring to the tenderization step, which was called “swissing”. Some summers as a kid I worked the meat counter at my grandad’s small general store and when some one would get a piece of cheap steak and ask him to “swiss it”, he’d run it through the tenderizer. (I was allowed to do basic knife stuff like jointing chicken but he wouldn’t let me use the band saw or any other equipment.)

9 Likes

This just reminded me of some Jello I have in the cabinet. I will have to make this tonight!
I don’t make it for guests, I usually keep a few boxes on hand in case of an upset stomach. But I do enjoy it from time to time, just because.

8 Likes

Shrimp Cocktail is in my top ten. I buy BIG wild shrimp when they are on sale at Whole Foods and now only use Ina Garten’s Roasted Shrimp recipe along with one of her Remoulade recipes with capers and really fresh horseradish, the refrigerated bottle kind.

9 Likes

If shrimp cocktail has fallen out of fashion, that would be news to pretty much every steakhouse in the U.S. And every restaurant that serves raw bar.

8 Likes

Now I’m craving shrimp cocktail

5 Likes

I have everything you need. Even fresh horseradish. Come on over!

5 Likes

It’s pretty easy; the only hard part is cleaning the shrimp. Most of the time, the fellow in fish department will do it for you; just ask nicely and say you’ll return after you finish shopping!

I cook that day or the next, no later.

4 Likes

Seafood Newburg
(Well technically shrimp Newburg)

8 Likes

We received a classic chafing dish with stand and heating element. We never got around to using it but lent it to a friend who was having an 'affair". His car was broken into and the only thing they took was this contraption. Go figure!

3 Likes

You guys are killing me!

1 Like

When I read ‘Coquilles St. Jacques’ I think of a scene in ‘The Nanny Diaries’ ( the book and the film). :dizzy_face:
Tasty, but involved.

2 Likes

St Jacques are definitely not out of fashion in the coastal restaurants of Northern France.

1 Like

Growing up, my Mom was a huge fan of Nesselrode Pie.

6 Likes

I remember a “Granny Fanny Nesselrode” character on either Sesame Street or The Muppet Show.

1 Like

Shrimp coctails will never go out of style for me! I like the chili sauce/lemon/horseradish one, and the Mexican seafood restaurants’ coctel de camaron, every single one of which I’ve ever had has been a delight.
And yeah, the refrigerated bottle horseradish is the best. I tried growing horseradish once, but it didn’t care for our hot dry weather at all, to my sorrow.

4 Likes

Turkey yes, chicken no. I customize it sometimes by adding green chiles and changing some other stuff a bit, but I really do like it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it offered in a restaurant, though, so probably considered out of fashion.

2 Likes

I had them once, at a restaurant on top of Mt. Tam, near San Fransisco. I can still taste it, and may have to go to Northern France. I’m sure it’s out of fashion in the Bay Area.
I appreciate your reminding me of that evening.

1 Like

Was it the Mountain Home inn?

1 Like

Charlotte royale: my Mum used to make this every summer using purchased jelly rolls and a filling of canned fruit salad in syrup, mixed with cream and stabilized with gelatine. Gosh, I loved that dessert. Don’t know if I’d still like it with all of the canned/premade stuff, but I may just give that one a go as a homemade version. Who knows, maybe that tinned taste was part of its charm back then.

5 Likes

WORD! A simple island of prawns with a moat of cocktail sauce is heaven! On our dinner rotation as well as living room cocktail bite. And I just recently served mexican coctel as a stunning dinner party starter. Both of these very much in the present in our household.

8 Likes