Memory foods that are not in fashion

I realize they aren’t the exact same. But steak with peppercorn preparation vs steak au poivre seems to me anyway as not being particularly different… Ymmv.

1 Like

ZivBnd, thank you for letting us know your mom! I’m sorry for your loss.

My experience on earth has taught me that time does not heal the pain of loss. But time does make the pain more tolerable.

I am of the belief that our moms were so much more than the human form that eyes saw. Today they live on in us, our siblings, our children, and those lucky enough to know and be influenced by them.

So, our moms have never actually left, they just changed forms. If we look around really really hard … we can see them.

10 Likes

RIGHT??? I love this fix-it-yourself idea!

2 Likes

A slow cooker also works in a pinch. We use a mini Crock Pot.

3 Likes

Our Crock Pot came with a mini-pot specifically for melting things (cheese, chocolate, etc.).

3 Likes

I don’t have any such. Just pots and a stovetop.

2 Likes

When we got married 46 years ago, we got three fondue sets as presents, all burnt orange Dansk. Gave them all away years ago.

9 Likes

I hope somewhere there’s a picture of you with all of them.

4 Likes

This is beautiful. I lost my mom in May and really needed to read this today. Thank you.

7 Likes

Sorry - no. We have never been big picture-takers. Maybe a generational thing?

That’s a shame. I don’t think it’s generational - my parents and grandparents all took a lot of pictures.

Yes, the happy couple posing with the fondue pot is the centerpiece of many a wedding album.

3 Likes

As it should be!

Hopefully not. But then you didnt know my mother.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry.

It’s not just foods which go out of fashion but, also, the celebrations that involve food.

Since the early 1600s, Britons have celebrated Bonfire Night on 5 November (with its associated Mischief Night the evening before). As a child I remember going with my parents to the big bonfire at the cricket ground in the village. It would be unthinkable if there was not parkin and treacle toffee to eat. And, sometimes, baked potatoes. But, over about the past two decades, it has rapidly declined in popularity to be replaced at that time of year by the import from America of Halloween.

Similarly, since the mid 17th century, Father Christmas was the symbol of our festive celebrations – the feasting, the giving of gifts, etc. Although by the mid 19th century, he had taken on some of the physical trappings of America’s Santa Claus, he remained generally known as Father Christmas until perhaps the 1990s. Since then, increasingly, he has become Santa Claus (known as “Santa” , rather than by his given name, which the pedant in me has always thought odd).

My guess is that I will be the last generation to have experienced the “old ways” and they will now rapidly die out as younger people who were introduced to Halloween/Santa as children, raise their own children.

5 Likes

I visited York and Newcastle in Nov 2016, and was happy to see some decorations re: Bonfire Night.

When you mention Father Christmas, this gets stuck in my head. Even on Jan 24th. :smiley: https://youtu.be/fPPCPqDINEk

1 Like

Whereas I think of Greg Lake when I hear of or read of “Father Christmas”.

3 Likes

… and me, the rocker, thinks of this!
I loved Babar as a kid.
:smile:

7 Likes

I had a feeling you might be a rocker, as I am. :grinning:

1 Like