Memory foods that are not in fashion

You know, I think it was!

Was Mountain Home Inn there in the 1970s? Because that’s when I was there. I’d never have thought of the name, but it sounded so familiar that I’m thinking that had to be it.

1 Like

Okay, I’m going for a desperation plea here. If any of you are from Milwaukee, you’d remember Grebe’s crullers. Someone back on Chowhound posted a recipe for them from the Milwaukee Journal from the 80’s. Anyone still have this recipe around? I neglected to print the thing. One of my fondest memories was a Grebe’s cruller and bulk tank milk. Perfect pair. These days, I’d love one with a cup o jo.

2 Likes

Sesame Street!

1 Like

Maybe this?

Thought this was interesting:

2 Likes

So many “memory” foods are in our regular rotation. Coquilles St. Jacques (unless we feel like eating light and doing butter seared scallops with miso and lime), tomato aspic with cottage cheese, steak au poivre, chicken a la King, ham steaks and spoon bread, cheese soufflés, creamed chipped beef on toast, cucumber sandwiches, deviled ham, and on and on.

8 Likes

Do you not have scallops there, are they not collected, or do folks not like them there in your area?

AHHHHH!, You’re the greatest, ElsieDee. Thanks a million! I just had two look alikes from WalMart. Blah! Nowhere near that flavor, nor density. This might be the only thing that beats churros in my “sugar fried flour” goodies.

Much appreciate you posting this.

2 Likes

You’re welcome, Greg. If you do try the recipe would you please share the results? I’m curious!

2 Likes

The Zodiak Room at Neiman Marcus Dallas is mentioned as still being open; so is the Mariposa at NM Houston. I had a few impressive luncheons there — in the 1970s! Remember the Monkey Bread (?). Also went to the restaurant at Battelsteins/River Oaks with a co-worker in that time frame. A very different time.

4 Likes

Decidedly unglamourous, the diner inside K-mart was a favourite place for me as a kid. Grey melamine counter and tables, edged in chrome and red leather seating, this place was heaven for a kid whose mother was a shopaholic. I’d get a toasted western and a chocolate shake and enjoy a hot lunch while Mom was cruising the shopping mall. That department store diner will always have a fond place in my memories.

7 Likes

LOL! My grandma would park me there when she was on the bargain prowl. The slushy blender just a running all the time. Blue light special!

2 Likes

That reminded me of how much I detested clothes shopping with my mother when young,
BUT if she added the lure of lunch at the birdcage in lord&taylor I was eager to shop!

9 Likes

i grew up in northen jersey (bergen county) where the fashion center in ridgewood was anchored by lord and taylor and b altman. the birdcage was fun, but i loved altman’s charleston garden.

tracked this down online — hard to tell what era it’s from.

charleston garden menu

3 Likes

I fondly remember the frozen custard at Gertz in Jamaica, Queens. Elsewhere it’s description as follows;

“That soft serve fluffy ice cream.They pounded the glass on there palm to move it down to the bottom,then put a few squirts of chocolate(my favorite) or strawberry,then used a long spoon to distribute the syrup then top off with more”

I always got strawberry and it was $.25 ( twenty five cents!).

I bought something for $.38 yesterday and I could hardly recognize a quarter. The person at the register had to go elsewhere for coins, and I’m sure she used the calculator app on her phone.

6 Likes

I’ve thought about this a bit. For me, it’s rare to see any main-dish casserole on a restaurant menu (excepting lasagna, which I guess should count as a casserole). Sometimes you’ll see sides like a squash casserole and of course baked mac-n-cheese, but I don’t see main dishes like turkey tet or any others, really, that I can think of.

Maybe diner-style restaurants in the Midwest serve main-dish casseroles? I grew up in the Midwest and always thought of casseroles as every day foods, but then watched Andrew Zimmern talk about how he fell in love with casseroles after moving to the MW (Minnesota, I believe it was) and having never eaten any growing up in the Northeast as he did.

Going back to the turkey tet, I make it every time I cook a turkey, which is 3-4 times a year. I have a cookbook from the 1960s called 365 Ways To Cook Chicken by Cheryl Sedaker. It’s got a lot of good and simple (if a bit plain) dinner ideas for chicken. I’ve been finding myself going back to it more as the price of beef is hitting the stratosphere and threatening to go into LEO.

The tetrazzini recipe is for chicken tet but turkey is a direct swap for chicken. Lots of mushrooms and onions, also calls for sliced water chestnuts to give a bit of texture. I start there and just google for whatever are currently looking like highly rated recipes (not that this is always spot-on, but it’s good enough for me) and add bits of this and that to change it up some each time.

The wife and kids all love it and it never lasts long, and since 3 of the 4 kids are definitely not big fans of turkey sandwiches, it’s a good way to use up leftover meat.

9 Likes

That part of the world brings back two great memories, the popovers at Patricia Murphy’s in Manhasset and the platter of a zillion teensy fried scallops at Louie’s in Port Washington.

3 Likes

Much to my surprise, Stouffer’s still makes the turkey tetrazzini that my mom used to get when I was a kid! I’ve never had it made fresh, only frozen. I used to call it her turkey spaghetti.

5 Likes

OMG. B. Altman’s - I forgot about that store! (I always thought it was in Paramus). Looks like it went out of business in the summer of 1989 after I left NJ.

Always liked their store logo:

3 Likes

Greek restaurants sometimes serve moussaka or pastitsio, both in the lasagna/baked ziti vein.

6 Likes