Memory foods that are not in fashion

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/4243-oatmeal-cake-with-broiled-icing. My back issues aren’t readily accessible but I made this cake several times. It’s easy and small, so it satisfies the GCC urge which, let’s face it, is more for the icing than for the quite generic chocolate layer cake. I seem to recall that the oatmeal cake was very fragile because it had no egg, so the second time I made it I added one.
I broiled the icing with the pan on the middle rack because in my oven, it would have burned if it were higher.

3 Likes

Spiced crabapples—I forgot about those. Plentiful rain here this summer so we have an astonishing amount of crabapples. If I can reach enough to pick I might try making a batch.

4 Likes

Tempting idea, thank you!

Your description brought memories of a Maida Heatter cake I made many decades ago.
Found it in my 1982 ‘New Book of Great Desserts’. I couldn’t view your linked recipe but the pic looked similar tho MH’s recipe does have 2 eggs.
Found this

1 Like

Tomato aspics can be tremendously interesting. Think gaspacho, or Bloody Mary.
And crepes are stupid easy to make. You can make the batter ahead and just pull it out of the fridge. When our first granddaughter was born, I used to go to their house once a week for “Breakfast Club” which meant ham, egg and cheese crepes. Since then our son has become a crepe chef, churning out crepes for the 5 of them with ease. The crepe of my lifetime was on an island off Brittany, like yours, a seafood crepe that contained seaweed, scallops and shrimp.

8 Likes

Hmm - I don’t remember a thing about their salsa. Didn’t stand out.

I love the orange jello with shredded carrots and canned crushed pineapple, but I consider it dessert, not salad

1 Like

I miss the Magic Pan too. Their spinach crepes were my favorites. You can approximate the experience by using Stouffer’s spinach souffle in a crepe. Supposedly that’s what the Magic Pan used.

3 Likes

Even though I prefer flat leaf parsley. I never see curly leaf parsley in the store anymore.

I remember a holiday meal incorporating my new in-laws and my starched aunt. My m-i-l brought frozen ambrosia “salad”. My one-generation-from-Maine aunt took one bite, reared back and asked if I’d served dessert early.

4 Likes

I’m gonna guess some link to Rindsrouladen?

2 Likes

We can blame England, it seems.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Does anyone have an Ambrosia recipe they would like to share? Open to cool whip, whipped cream, vanilla pudding, cream cheese and sour cream versions, as well as any other versions! With or without marshmallows.

Thanks for any recipes.

I have a lot of oranges and some pineapple on hand.

Jello 123 was a boxed mix you whipped and chilled into 3 separate layers. There was also a frozen jello/ice cream/canned, drained fruit dessert you froze in a lidded Rubbermaid bowl until it was cold enough to slice.

Considering how popular Jello was, and plenty is still avail to buy, I don’t see it served at anybody’s home. Guilty pleasure?

7 Likes

When I was going through chemo for breast cancer, I had very little appetite. One thing I did enjoy was something from childhood - strawberry jello set with sliced bananas in it and a bit of whipped cream from a can on the top.

10 Likes

Not necessarily.

I cannot access the link in bbqboy’s post but presume it refers to “Swiss steak” allegedly getting its name from a British process in cotton fabric manufacture called “swissing”.

Now, the odd thing here is that, I can find quite a few references to swissing - all American and all referring to this British link. Yet, I can’t find any British reference to “swissing” - not even in a couple of historical cotton manufacture sites (my nearby city, Manchester, based its 19th century wealth on cotton - so much so that its nickname was Cottonopolis). So, makes me wonder if this is an American invention of the origin of Swiss steak by some now unknown person and it’s been repeated.

Of course , the Google dextrous amongst us may be able to find a genuine link to the UK cotton industry.

5 Likes

Try this one… :slight_smile:

1 Like

As it’s also disappeared from supermarket shelves we prowl, does bottled Green Goddess dressing make the cut?

3 Likes

Like the others I found, both of these are American websites and neither have any actual evidence that this term was used in British cotton manufacture. If it was suh a term, I would expect it to be listed in nthe glossary of terms of the Worshipful Company of Weavers, which has a 900 year history in the UK. It isn’t

To compound the dubious information, one claims that the British refer to Swiss steak as “smothered steak”. Google would have quickly told the author of that article that we don’t. Or, to be precise, I have never come across a British dish called “smothered steak”. Nor have I ever come across a British dish called Swiss steak, or Swissing steak. Google hits for “smothered steak” are also American.

3 Likes

Is Salisbury Steak a thing in England?