Melting marvels: the top 10 toasties of all time

The feta and jalapeno annoys me for no good reason. Why not sliced tomato and feta? Or the roasted jarred eggplant or red peppers, AKA ajvar. Although I think basic ajvar is just roasted red peppers I usually buy the kind that also has roasted eggplant.

Jalapeno and cheese obviously screams jalapeno and Monterrey Jack to me, along with sliced or mashed avocado. But then I grew up in California. :smiley:

2 Likes

Most Brits I know grew up on beans on toast. I loved beans n cornbread, here.

Interesting list. Thanks for the input, John.

Kid, hell, I’d eat that now.

I don’t know if you ever saw the show 'Ham on the Street" but he put a table on the street and had people choose any jam/jelly with any cheese, grill it, and it would work. Never done chutney on one, though. I could see how it would work.

Most ajvar recipes I know of are roasted red peppers and eggplant. Ajvar and muenster are a nice combo on a grilled cheese.

Why we call it grilled is beyond me. “Griddled cheese” would be more accurate. That said, next time I fire up the Smokey Joe, I’m grilling one.

Charity shop is a thrift store, for the most part. I love 'em. Most of the ones I get to have very weak cookery, knives, etc. No BaMIx in mine. Gahhh, I want one of those!

1 Like

George Home? Like our George Foreman grills? Or, is it this thing?https://direct.asda.com/george/home/cooking-appliances/health-grill/050709895,default,pd.html

Like a little panini press.

Here’s the George Home. I had to Google as my earlier post was over two years back and I’d no recollection of it. The supermarket, ASDA, uses “George” as a brand name for its clothing and some other ranges. It relates back to George Davies, a fashion designer who had a contract with the supermarket in the 1990s.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/toasters-sandwich-makers/george-home-sandwich-toaster/1000131239668?&cmpid=ppc--ghs--google-–_-dskwid-s92700064196474891_dc&s_kwcid=AL!11432!3!525849622034!!!g!642456382792!&ds_rl=1254319&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0a_d6d6d-QIVWJ3VCh33swmvEAQYASABEgKrfPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

From a local cafe’s 1929 menu

3 Likes

I think it’s the origin of the ajvar, more than anything. Serb v. Croat means something with slivovica; might mean something in ajvar. A lot of countries adore the stuff, as do I. Feta and ajvar would be a great toasty combo. I’ve only had pepper/eggplant ajvar, so I don’t know any better.

2 Likes

That was great.
Thanks
:cowboy_hat_face: :slight_smile: